[net.video] cassette sized video?

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (01/17/86)

Has anyone heard about the new cassette sized video? (I'm talking about
cassette as in audio tape) I was talking to a guy from Texas
and he said it was going to take over the market! He also said that
they would be selling converters so you could use the tapes in your
VCR, and wether its Beta or VHS doesn't matter.  As most of you have
probably realized that this last bit is quite unbelieveable, you realize
why I am writing this article.  Thanks for any info!

					Dave Scott
					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

Great! I'm about to get killed a million miles from
no where with a gung-ho iguana telling me to relax!

brown@nicmad.UUCP (01/19/86)

In article <1036@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
>Has anyone heard about the new cassette sized video? (I'm talking about
>cassette as in audio tape) I was talking to a guy from Texas
>and he said it was going to take over the market! He also said that
>they would be selling converters so you could use the tapes in your
>VCR, and wether its Beta or VHS doesn't matter.  As most of you have
>probably realized that this last bit is quite unbelieveable, you realize
>why I am writing this article.  Thanks for any info!

The format is called 8mm.  No it is not compatible with VHS or Beta and
never will.

To find out more about 8mm, just go to your local library or newstand and
read the latest video magazines.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (01/20/86)

In article <1036@ihlpa.UUCP> ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) writes:
>Has anyone heard about the new cassette sized video? (I'm talking about
>cassette as in audio tape) I was talking to a guy from Texas
>and he said it was going to take over the market! He also said that
>they would be selling converters so you could use the tapes in your
>VCR, and wether its Beta or VHS doesn't matter.  As most of you have
>probably realized that this last bit is quite unbelieveable, you realize
>why I am writing this article.  Thanks for any info!
>
>					Dave Scott
>					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf
>
>Great! I'm about to get killed a million miles from
>no where with a gung-ho iguana telling me to relax!

Sounds like the 8mm format.  Not only will it not take over the market
(sales have been disappointing, to say the least), but one of the sellers
(either Kodak or Poloroid, I don't remember which) has gotten out of the
market.  MARKET SHARE AND COMPATIBILITY!  That is why the inferior VHS
format is killing the superior Beta format.  Most people want to rent/borrow
tapes.  He who has the most, has a better chance if doing the above, ergo,
VHS wins.  (8mm offered few advantages, smaller size, and an 8-bit PCM
stereo track, but size doesn't seem to matter (VHS is bigger than Beta) and
8-bit companded audio is no better than, and in some ways worse than, AFM
sound of current HiFi systems.)

--Kne