[net.video] Digital TV Anybody?

rosen@gypsy.UUCP (01/10/86)

I don't read this group that much, but I am interested in certain aspects of
what it covers.  In particular I would be interested to know when we can
expect to see digital TV in the stores.  About 6 months ago I heard a little
about them, but haven't heard much since.  I think that it is only now that
the technology is ready for the consumer.  From what I've read, I thought
that it would be really neat to watch 2 or 3 channels at once, "capture"
frames, get super high resolution, etc.  I suspect the first models
will be from Toshiba, Hitachi, Sony and the like, but when is the real
question?

Can anybody shead light on this for me?  Maybe I should trot down the road
to RCA's Sarnoff Research Labs (they do all their video research work there)
and see what they're up to? :-)

----------------
| Steve Rosen
| Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories
| Princeton, NJ

USENET:    adrvax\
            ihnp4 |
        princeton |-->!siemens!gypsy!rosen
            topaz |
           vrdxhq/

ARPA:   siemens!gypsy!rosen@TOPAZ

edward@ukecc.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (01/13/86)

In article <32100004@gypsy.UUCP>, rosen@gypsy.UUCP writes:

> In particular I would be interested to know when we can
> expect to see digital TV in the stores.  About 6 months ago I heard a little
> about them, but haven't heard much since.  I think that it is only now that
> the technology is ready for the consumer.  From what I've read, I thought
> that it would be really neat to watch 2 or 3 channels at once, "capture"
> frames, get super high resolution, etc.

	I've got a better question for you. What is it about these things
that makes them "digital"?

--
Edward C. Bennett

UUCP: ihnp4!cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!edward

/* A charter member of the Scooter bunch */

"Goodnight M.A."

rem@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert E. Mee) (01/13/86)

Yes, digital TV is here. Toshiba now has complete split screening, window size
control, along with window location. You can also alternate the signals between
the main viewing area and the window! It has digital still framing too. Right
now it is only available in a 20" flat screen. It will soon (in a few months)
be in a 26" model. That's the one i'm waiting for.

-Rob
| Robert Mee	Boston University Academic Computer Center	   |
| UUCP:	        ...!harvard!bu-cs!rem                              |
| ARPA:	        rem%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa                   |
| CSNET:	rem@bu-cs                                          |

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (Dataspan Inc) (01/14/86)

     Aside from the "features" (such as a picture within a picture) digital
TV seems to be a dud.  Jeezze, we can't even make an ANALOG tv set correctly,
who wants an el-cheapo, very poorly designed digital set?

     The Intermetall-AG (ITT Germany) chip set has evidently fallen flat on
its face.  I expected about fourty zillion manufacturers to offer top line
digital sets, but why bother?  However, you *may* see frame stores which
convert the refresh rate from 2:1 30 Hz (60 Hz) interlace to 1:1 60 Hz
interlace, effectively eliminating the line structure in the image. We've
been playing with this for some time with medical images and getting rid
of the line structure is the neatest thing which could happen to NTSC.

     Meanwhile, I'll just watch my Conrac professional monitor and Tek
demod, and hope that receiver manufactuers can get their act together.

     (Aside from this, for you HDTV fans) - my attorney just got back from
the winter CES over in Las Vegas, and is head-over-heels in love with the
HDTV system which one of the Japanese firms was showing. It is allegedly
35 inches diagonal measure, 5:3 aspect ratio, and more than 1000 lines.
The video bandwidth is supposedly a paltry 20 mHz.  He thought that the
interscene colour detail was "excellent." Other than that, he thought that
the CES was rather boring.  I hope that I can join him this summer at
McCormick Place (or wherever it is)......

dya

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (01/20/86)

Yes, digital TV fell flat because it didn't OFFER anything.  Picture-in-
a-picture?  Big deal!  BUT digital processing COULD offer a yot, like
echo cancellation, edge enhancement, color correction, noise filtering,
just about anything a TMS320 and your imagination could come up with.
My belief is that the manufacturers noticed no one cared about video
quality in VCR's so to sell digital processing you couldn't say "better
picture", but maybe "two pictures" would do it.  Surprisingly, it didn't.

What comes next?  MAYBE high-D TV.  Doubtful in my lifetime.  Ever thought
about how long it took to get stereo on a *FEW* stations when it was com-
pletely compatible at the receiver end (although a mess at the station).
How 'bout HDTV which is not compatible at the receiver end.  How do you
spell "phat chance"?

--Kne (in a pesimestic mood)