[net.video] HELP! TV/FM Interference

glenn@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Glenn C. Scott) (10/28/85)

[]

  I need some help with identifying and, hopefully, correcting a TV and FM radio
interference problem.  The best description of the problem is noise (static) in
the audio of the TV and the FM radio.  The video on the television has a tiny
bit of snow in two distinct bars on the screen; one in the top half and one in
the bottom half.  The trouble appears periodically in the evening.  I've checked
with another neighbor and they have the same problem.

  If I can't find the problem myself who can I contact to get more help, etc ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Glenn

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (11/01/85)

In article <2425@sdcrdcf.UUCP> glenn@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Glenn C. Scott) writes:
>[]
>
>  I need some help with identifying and, hopefully, correcting a TV and FM radio
>interference problem.  The best description of the problem is noise (static) in
>the audio of the TV and the FM radio.  The video on the television has a tiny
>bit of snow in two distinct bars on the screen; one in the top half and one in
>the bottom half.  The trouble appears periodically in the evening.  I've checked
>with another neighbor and they have the same problem.
>
>  If I can't find the problem myself who can I contact to get more help, etc ?
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Glenn

I live over in the valley of the Jewish Princess and have the same problem
you describe, but only on low band channels (2-6).  Surely this can not
be as widespread as Woodland Hills to Santa Monica or the FCC would have
received complaints....(?).

What do you do folks, call the "local" FCC office and complain?

--Kne

fish@ihlpm.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (01/23/86)

> []
>
>   I need some help with identifying and, hopefully, correcting a TV and FM radio
> interference problem.  The best description of the problem is noise (static) in
> the audio of the TV and the FM radio.  The video on the television has a tiny
> bit of snow in two distinct bars on the screen; one in the top half and one in
> the bottom half.  The trouble appears periodically in the evening.  I've checked
> with another neighbor and they have the same problem.

This problem has appeared numerous time in this newsgroup, so I thought I'd
post this response.

The problem you describe can usually be attributed to somebody operating
a brushed-contact electric motor nearby.  Power tools are the most common
source.  A brushed-contact motor applies current to the armature windings
by means of direct electical contact with a sleeve on the rotor.  There are
gaps in the sleeve, and when the brush crosses the gap, you get sparks.
Anybody who has ever used a power drill can see them.  The greater the load
on the motor, the bigger the sparks.

One of my old professors had this comment about the bandwidth of a spark:
"you can hear it, and you can see it."  In other words, it's a pretty good
source of RF noise.  The only solution is to find out who's running the motor
and complain.  It's probably a router or a saw, something like that, or it
could be a vacuum cleaner.

Your washing machine, furnace, and refrigerator don't bother the TV because
they use brushless, induction motors, which don't spark.  Tools are another
story.  If you want to see the phenomenon for yourself, just run your drill
in the same room as the TV set; you will see the same kind of disturbance
you describe.

It's kind of funny that the FCC bitches about EMI from computers, but does
nothing about power tools.  Maybe it's all that military stuff the gummint
buys from Rockwell.
--
 __
/  \