[net.video] Orphaned Response

jlp@inmet.UUCP (02/18/84)

#R:hou2a:-24700:inmet:9700002:177600:511
inmet!jlp    Feb 17 19:48:00 1984

In the NTSC system, the maximum number of resolution lines is 525.
( A monitor of 700 lines would be overkill for us, ok in France, though ).
However, synchronization and other information occur in that dark band you
see when you turn vertical hold, called the blanking pulse(or some other
buzzword). This limits usable information to a maximum of 484 vertical lines.

HDTV is proposing to have something on the order of 1150 lines.

The Organ Keyboard of
Jerryl Payne
{esquire,harpo,decvax!cca!ima}!inmet!jlp

dwhitney@uok.UUCP (07/05/84)

#R:mhuxt:-18400:uok:9100001:37777777600:1307
uok!dwhitney    Jul  5 13:43:00 1984

No, not specifically the 1530, but I do have experience with the 1220.  It may
not help, but I can give you my two cents worth.

Generally, the unit is not very different from all the other video recorders.
As you may or may not know, all VHS recorders sold in the US are made by one
manufacturer, Mashushita of Japan.  Industries here in the US purchase them,
and place their own labels on them, sometimes rearranging buttons, and the
like.  But the nuts-and-bolts are all the same.  My big complaint with ALL
vcrs is that they are way too volatile to power-outages.  Even if the power
clips off for just a split-second, the timer and clock will start blinking
12:00 and erase all memories.  It would seem that for the price they could
wire in a little memory circuit like those found in some GE alarm clocks to
retain the time for five or six seconds when the power goes out.

So, thats basically it.  Just remember that while a Curtis Mathes VCR may
cost $700, you probably can find the exact same recorder at another video
store for $499.  Of course, the stores will say they are all different, but
believe me, they are all the same.  I hope that helps; the basic thing to
remember is that underneath all the buttons and labels, the machinery is
all the same..

David Whitney
ctvax!uokvax!uok!dwhitney

dwhitney@uok.UUCP (07/05/84)

#R:pyuxhh:-63600:uok:9100003:37777777600:601
uok!dwhitney    Jul  5 13:52:00 1984

Although I don't know about the specifics of that machine, I can tell
you that "cable ready" doesn't necessarily tell you the whole story.
For some reason, some cable operators put garbage in their signals
that only THEIR converter can clear out, thereby requiring YOU to use
their converter. Consequently, the "cable ready" vcrs will indeed give
you the picture, but often of very poor quality.  Also, with "premium pay
services" you have to have a converter box, anyway.  So if push comes to
shove, don't forego a good buy just because it isn't cable ready.
David Whitney
ctvax!uokvax!uok!dwhitney

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (07/09/84)

power-outages.  Even if the power clips off for
	just a split-second, the timer and clock will start blinking
	12:00 and erase all memories."

Someone is generalizing from two little data.  My 20-month-old VHS VCR,
made by JVC, has battery backup; I can unplug it, haul it to a
different room, and plug it in, without losing the time-of-day or any
of the eight timer settings.  I don't know how long it will last, but
the longest I can remember unplugging it was about three minutes.

	"I hope that helps; the basic thing to remember is that
	underneath all the buttons and labels, the machinery is all the
	same.."

This is just one person's opinion.  Another person's opinion [mine] is
that they aren't all the same, there are some real differences out
there.

  -- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)      [UUCP]
                       (orca!andrew.tektronix@rand-relay)  [ARPA]

raan@hp-pcd.UUCP (07/10/84)

There are several errors in David Whitney's response (sorry, I don't have
the base note any more).  My sources for disputing his claims are articles
in Video Review and Video (sorry, I don't have the specific references),
my experience as a videophile and repairing tvs, etc for 15 years.

>> As you may or may not know, all VHS recorders sold in the US are made by one
>> manufacturer, Mashushita of Japan.  Industries here in the US purchase them,
>> and place their own labels on them, sometimes rearranging buttons, and the
>> like.  But the nuts-and-bolts are all the same.  My big complaint with ALL
>> vcrs is that they are way too volatile to power-outages.

There are at least 3 VHS manufacturers who build all the available recorders
(no, I don't remember the names of the others).  While the machines built
by one manufacturer are similar, they are NOT all the same (ignoring cosmetics).
Each machine is built to the specifications of the company contracting with
the manufacturer.  One company may specify higher qualilty parts with tighter
control on specifications than another.  Also, the features included in the
machinge will vary with the specifications.

All of my recorders retain the clock and programming for at least a minute
and some up to 10 minutes.

Raan Young
(hp-pcd!raan)

yamauchi@fortune.UUCP (07/14/84)

#R:pyuxhh:-63600:fortune:12100003:000:652
fortune!yamauchi    Jul 13 14:11:00 1984

Too little data is right!!  I wonder how many different VCR's
this person has seen or checked into before the conclusion was drawn
that all American decks ( I'm assuming he meant American label VCR's )
sold are made by Matsushita?  Was this just "a line" that some jerk
sales person fed him?  I've got a VCR with someone else's label on it
that was built by North American Phillips.  Now, do you beleive NAP
buys their VCR's from Matsushita??!!  Not too likely!

      Alan Yamauchi

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!yamauchi
DDD:	(415)595-8444 x 436
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (07/14/84)

#R:pyuxhh:-63600:wdl1:15100002:000:195
wdl1!jrb    Jul 13 22:28:00 1984

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if North American Phillips's VCRs
were made by Matsushita.

				John R Blaker
				UUCP:	...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
				ARPA:	jrb@FORD-WDL1
				and	blaker@FORD-WDL2

thom@hpfcrx.UUCP (thom) (02/15/85)

I have also been happy with the HiFi selections I have been able to find,
but I haven't been able to find two of the tapes I think would be really
exceptional in HiFi (please no flames on my taste in films or music):
Flashdance and Footloose.  When I inquired about the VHS HiFi versions of
these tapes for purchase at a few of my local stores they said they didn't
have them and would check.  What they found was that the manufacturer for
their label (which escapes me right now) has only just begun re-recording
their tapes in HiFi and it won't be until early summer (if I'm lucky), before
they are available.  Such is life.  Anybody heard anything different about
the VHS HiFi version of these tapes?

Tom Morrissey
hplabs!hpfcla!thom

lief@hpfcrs.UUCP (lief) (03/09/85)

     Digital TV has been around since around 1981, over in Europe.  However,
its only been recently introduce in the USA.  In fact, I believe that the
first commercially available digital TV in the USA just started selling last
month (a Toshiba model).  Panasonic plans to introduce theirs in April.
Zenith also plans to introduce one this year.

     Virtually every digital TV is using the ITT digital chip set.  This chip
set samples the composite video input at 14.3 MHz for NTSC (17 MHz for PAL),
digitizes the data into pseudo-8-bit resolution, and then procedes to process
it.  It does fancy things like noise inversion to get rid of specking due to
interference.  The luma data and the chroma data are then digitally seperated,
with the chroma data in the form of R-Y and B-Y.  After processing, the digital
R-Y and B-Y data (each 8 bits), and the 10-bit luma data are all put through
D/A converters and then fed through the RGB matrix to drive the monitor.
The low bandwidth of chroma data allows it to be multiplexed on a 4-bit wide
bus.  Likewise, the luma data is actually transferred on an 8-bit wide bus,
with the least significant bit of the 8-bit path modulated according to the
least significant 2 bits of the 10-bit word (understand what I mean?).  In
otherwords, they make good use of time averaging (rather than numerical
averaging) to save on circuitry and connection pins.  Real slick.

     The Toshiba set is really a little disappointing in the picture quality.
Either they are not using all the available capabilities of the chip set, or
they don't have the latest revision.  It's probably a function of both.  ITT
just started shipping the latest rev. of their chip set to the TV makers
and so I don't think they could possibly be implemented in the Toshiba model
yet.  The latest rev. allows more features and corrections, allows 2 video
input sources, uses a new clock design (to eliminate RF interference which
their previous clock circuit is hampered with), etc.

     Personally, I am very exited about these chips.  If used correctly,
they should really enhance the quality of TV.  However, don't expect these
chips to perform miracles on the already bandwidth limited video input.
About all you can expect is that your picture quality will be precessed to
the limit of the carrier bandwidth.  In fact, Zenith plans to sell their unit
as a 'high res' TV, where they double the number of scan lines.  Actually,
all they are doing is interpolating between actual scan lines.

     Yes, I believe it is worth the wait.

Lief Sorensen
Hewlett Packard Co.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (ajs) (03/19/85)

> After recording on SLP speed, I found the Scotch tape to have the worst
> dropout problem I have ever seen...  even when compared to cheap generic
> brands ( you know, the kinds that sell for about $4 without a sale!).
> Was I just unlucky enough to get a hold of a bad tape or is this a
> chronic problem with Scotch brand.

Just bought a couple of Scotch standard T120's here ($7.39 each), and
they work fine.  They look just a little better than the Sony 120's I
already had, and the cases are nicer.

Alan Silverstein

jeff@hpcnoa.UUCP (jeff) (07/31/85)

>                              Is there anybody out there who has a "canonical"
> list of VCRs and their features ?

I think Stereo Review has a tape buyer's guide which has VCR specs.
Also you might check out back issues of Consumer Reports, though
their listings might be outdated.

-- Jeff Wu

keenan@inmet.UUCP (10/07/85)

Here is a summary of the responses I received from my query about
High-End TV's, often called monitor/receivers. Thanks to everyone who
replied, especially for the use of mail rather than posting to the net.

The original request:
> I'm looking for a TV receiver-monitor with these characteristics:
> 	* 19" color 		* Remote control
> 	* Quartz tuning 	* "cable" ready
> 	* comb filter 		* Stereo
> 	* RGB input 		* various VCR etc. inputs
> Basically everything. Consumers Digest recommended the Panasonic
> CTF2075 ($1050/$783), a 20" monitor with all the above features.
> What are the other makes and models should I look for? Is there
> anything wrong with the Panasonic?

I ended up buying a Panasonic CTF2077 for $750 and am very pleased with it,
supposedly the 2075 didn't have sterio. It sports the same variety of features
listed below for the other manufactorers. Now for the recommendations:

From: ihnp4!ukma!david (David Herron, NPR Lover)
There's this Hitachi that I have.  It's a 19" monitor.  Has 3 direct
video inputs, 2 using rca plugs and another using a squarish plug
that's supposed to be a standard plug for rgb.  It also doubles as
a high-res monitor, with 400 lines resolution.  It is cable ready.
Has a fancy tuner.  etc.  It costs $550 or so.  I don't think the
model I have is still on the market though.  Y'see, I bought it
last april, it was a demo model at Circuit City at $300.  But I'd
think that would just mean they have a better model on the market now.
And, no, I don't remember the model number, and I can't look at it
right now because it's in the shop having the tuner replaced.
--- David Herron
--- UUCP-> {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,oddjob}!anlams!ukma!david
---        {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma!david

From: ihnp4!otto!carl (Carl Shapiro)
WAIT!  Before you buy, check out the Sony XBR models (KV-20XBR, KV-25XBR).
These two (20" and 25") are by far the best consumer units I've seen.
They both have all the features you mentioned, and more.  In particular,
they have many inputs and outputs - including 3 video inputs and 2 RF inputs.
One of the video inputs has a separate external audio input, useful for
a tuner input for simulcasts, or for a laser video disc player with a
separate external CX decoder, etc.  One of the video inputs is on the front
of the unit for easy access.  Not only does it come with a remote control
(a great one, that allows changing inputs, hue, contrast, bass & treble,
balance (yes, it's stereo) and more) but two other remotes are available
as options:  1 has a clock in it to turn things on and off at preset times;
the other uses the IR to provide wireless headphones (any of the current
small headphones can plug into it).
   Resolution is 330 lines/inch with the RF inputs, and 400 (genuine) with
the video inputs.
   I bought the 25" model for $1050;  we just ordered 200 of the 20" units
for our videotex system and got them for ~$650 apiece.  Demand is such
that they may be hard to find, but believe me, they're worth waiting for.
   Of course, all current TVs will be obsolete in a year or so when vertical
line interpolation hits the market.
   Short of adopting the Japanese 2000-line HRTV standard, unlikely in
this country in the forseeable future, scan line interpolation and
full frame buffering are our only real hope for improved video picture
quality anytime soon.  Full frame buffering is better, but both look
very good in demonstrations.  Both have been developed to counteract
the effects of the interleaved scan broadcasts;  interpolation looked
good because it eliminated the need for storing an entire frame, but
as memory costs plummet, manufacturers have been delaying its introduction
with the hope of incorporating entire frame buffers at an affordable price.
   The technology is complete; the timing is now a marketing decision.  Last
year it looked like interpolation might make the Christmas market, but it
didn't, and this year I've heard nothing.  This makes me feel that they are
expecting 1M memory chips to appear soon enough to relieve the price pressure
on the 256K devices, enabling them to be used in consumer TVs either next
year or in '87 at the latest.
   I'm sorry that I can't give you any good references on this stuff, I have
come by it in bits and pieces.  To get the real story, you have to read
Japanese, which I don't.
Carl Shapiro
{ihnp4,sdcrdcf}!otto!carl

From: ihnp4!hplabs!atd!tra (Ted Asocks)
	Before purchasing the Panasonic, I would look at Sony Monitors,
especially the latest model with a "scan doubler".  I have yet to see
it but I understand it doubles the amount of horizontal scan lines by
interpolating a new line to fit between the original 2 lines.  Of course
this cannot double the resolution but it must make for some very good
color balance and picture improvement.  We use an industrial model of a
Sony, here at work, with a 'Trinitron' tube and it makes the best pictures.
	If you plan on buying, or already have a VCR why not just use
the tuner on that?  That way you don't duplicate tuners.
Ted Asocks     		UUCP :  {hplabs,ucbvax,turtlevax}!atd!tra

From: ihnp4!tektronix!zeus!hercules!billh
Stereo Super Stores has had the Panasonic CTF2075 available in the
Portland, Oregon area for ~$500.  I bought one and it's a real nice
set.
tektronix!teklds!billh

From: harvard!seismo!utah-gr.UTAH-CS!utah-cs!utah-gr!thomas (Spencer W. Thomas) <thomas@utah-.UUCP>
I've looked (but not too hard) at both the high-end Sony (I forget the
"initials") and Fisher TVs.  Both of them seem to have the features you
are looking for, and are in the same price range.  A friend who repairs
TVs for a living strongly recommends Sony TVs as needing little repair.
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

Thanks again for the replies,
--keenan ross		UUCP:     {bellcore,ima,ihnp4}!inmet!keenan
 Intermetrics, Inc.	INTERNET: ima!inmet!keenan@CCA-UNIX.ARPA
 733 Concord Ave.
 Cambridge, MA  02138	PHONE:    (617) 661-1840

lef@nlm-vax.ARPA (Larry Fitzpatrick) (10/10/85)

Some of the comments in this article bring a question to mind.
Could someone describe, or supply refs to descriptions, of
digital TV ? What are the advantages ?

Thanks,fitz

root@Clio.Uiuc.ARPA (11/25/85)

berger@clio.UIUC.EDUC

VCR heads are NOT sealed.  If you don't know how to clean them properly, then
you should leave them to a professional.  But dirty heads are the leading
cause of VCR failure.  Smoker or not, oxide particles from tapes will
cause problems if nothing else does.

rick@ea.UUCP (01/10/86)

During my sojourn to Tulsa, OK the other day for our company, I
happen to recall seeing a request on the net for who makes Emerson
VCR's.  Since I was in a video store and visiting with a sales type,
I asked.

ZOT!! The local guru pulls out the table listed below.  I was so
so suprised that I asked if I could get a copy and shur 'nuff,
Cheerful Charlie had a copy machine and obligingly made several
copies.  Astounding!  It's hard to find people these days selling
relatively high tech stuff with actual product awareness and a
willingness to help.

                           VHS Format

Manufacturer: Matsushita (Currently Holds Approx 51% of the Market)
   *VCR Brands Manufactured
      Magnavox
      Sylvania
      G.E.
      Curtis Mathes
      J.C. Penney
      Quasar
      Panasonic
      Philco
      Canon
      Olympus
* Most of the above units are probably manufactured to specs supplied
  the selling firm and are therefore *NOT* identical less cosmetics.

Manufacturer: JVC                    Manufacturer: Hitachi
   VCR Brands Manufactured              VCR Brands Manufactured
      JVC                                  Hitachi
      Tatung                               RCA (Recently acquired by G.E.)
      Zenith                               Pentax
      NEC

Manufacturer: Mitsubishi             Manufacturer: Sharp
   VCR Brands Manufactured              VCR Brands Manufactured
      Mitsubishi                           Sharp
      Emerson                              Montgomery Ward

Manufacturer: Akai                   Manufacturer: Sanyo
   Manufactures Akai only               VCR Brands Manufactured
                                           Radio Shack
                                           Fisher
                                           Sears

Manufacturer: Sansui                 Manufacturer: Samsung
   Manufactures Sansui only             Manufactures Samsung only

Manufacturer: Gold Star              Manufacturer: Teknika
   Manufactures Gold Star only          Manufactures Teknika only

Manufacturer: Toshiba
   VCR Brands Manufactured
      Kenwood
      Toshiba

                           BETA Format

Manufacturer: Sony                   Sanyo
   Manufactures Sony only               Manufactures Sanyo only

NEC                                  Aiwa
   Manufactures NEC only                Manufactures Aiwa only

Manufacturer: Toshiba
   VCR Brands Manufactured
      Toshiba
      Sears

Hope the above list is of some help.  If anyone finds errors, please
post to the net.

Rick Beckenhauer
Environmental Control Laboratory, Inc.

UUCP: ihnp4!okstate!ea!rick

jib@prism.UUCP (01/14/86)

I think your friend's VCR is unusual if it works as you describe it.  My
RCA VKP950 Hi-fi machine, and most of the others I have looked at have a
3-position switch: Hi-FI (which automatically switches IF there is a hi-fi
signal), Linear (which always picks up the linear tracks) and Mix (which
mixes the hi-fi and linear tracks -- for sound-on-sound, dubbing of music
onto a recorded hi-fi tape, etc.)

Note that my machine does NOT tell you visually that it is using the hi-fi
signal -- although you can certainly hear the difference.  Other VHS
machines do have indicator lights.

Jim Block  {cca, ihnp4!inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12, datacube} !mirror!prism!jib

Mirror Systems, Inc.	2067 Massachusetts Ave.
(617) 661-0777		Cambridge, MA 02140

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (01/16/86)

>                            BETA Format
>
>                                   Aiwa
>                                     Manufactures Aiwa only

Seems to me that I heard that Aiwa also manufactured the Sony SL-2700
for Sony.

gant@convexs.UUCP (01/25/86)

i heard a rumor long ago that aiwa was a wholly-owned subsidiary of
sony.  can anyone confirm/deny this?

			Alan Gant, CONVEX Computer Corporation
			{uiucdcs,allegra,ihnp4}!convex!gant