[net.video] editing

bgo@ptsfc.UUCP (Bud Odekirk) (01/17/86)

I am preparing a video presentation for our Division Conference and I

am encountering problems editing out the bad stuff and keeping the good.

I have two VHS recorders, when I record from one to the other I get a

blip between each take.

Does anyone know how to avoid the blip ??????

THANKS

brown@nicmad.UUCP (01/19/86)

In article <511@ptsfc.UUCP> bgo@ptsfc.UUCP (Bud Odekirk) writes:
>I am preparing a video presentation for our Division Conference and I
>am encountering problems editing out the bad stuff and keeping the good.
>I have two VHS recorders, when I record from one to the other I get a
>blip between each take.
>
>Does anyone know how to avoid the blip ??????

You don't.  The technique is called 'backspace' editing.  When you press
PAUSE, the VHS deck will back the tape up, for about a second (it varies
per machine).  When you release the pause, the tape runs forward, syncing
on the control track and the incoming video.  When it gets near the splice
point it starts to record.  Since it starts recording near the splice point,
it records over some of the exisiting frames, causing the glitch.

The only way around this problem is to purchase VHS editing decks with
flying erase heads or to purchase 3/4" editing equipment, which also has
flying erase heads.  I use 3/4" decks here at home for editing.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (01/21/86)

> In article <511@ptsfc.UUCP> bgo@ptsfc.UUCP (Bud Odekirk) writes:
> >I am preparing a video presentation for our Division Conference and I
> >am encountering problems editing out the bad stuff and keeping the good.
> >I have two VHS recorders, when I record from one to the other I get a
> >blip between each take.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to avoid the blip ??????
> >
> The only way around this problem is to purchase VHS editing decks with
> flying erase heads or to purchase 3/4" editing equipment, which also has
> flying erase heads.  I use 3/4" decks here at home for editing.

Actually this is not quite true, you don't have to *purchase* editing decks
at all. If you work for a larger size corperation they may have
an A/V dept with editing equipment that you could use. Also it most decent
sized towns you can rent time on editing equipment. Look in the yellow pages
under video production services. If I remember right, time on 1/2'' set-ups
is around $30 per hour. Another thing to consider is that some of the
newer home video decks produce a very, very short blip that might be
acceptable to you.

     			-Steve "Chainsaw" Dunn

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (01/21/86)

To do decent editing (that is, no glitches) there is no substitute
for a pair of genlocked editing VCR's.  Consumer equipment generally
does not have this sort of functionality.  The machines have to be
tied to the same sync source, have the proper kind of erase heads,
and in general are more complex than non-editing machines.

While some of the newer consumer machines (especially the new Sony
with an effects "jog" wheel) let you get closer to a good edit,
you really need editing equipment to do it right.  Sorry about that.

--Lauren--

heneghan@ihlpa.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) (01/24/86)

It may be that this comment is niave and I really don't have
all the facts, so please bear with me. I recently edited some
home movies without any problems. I just paused the recording
deck whenever I wanted to bypass what was currently playing.
On another occasion I was editing some tape and I hit stop instead
of pause which caused a white horizontal line to travel from the
top to the bottom of the screen. I hit stop because on my deck,
the indexing feature looks for stop on the audio track, thus allowing
fast forward to a predetermined spot on the tape. It could be that the
pause function lines up on the end of a frame and stop doesn't.

					Joe Heneghan

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (01/28/86)

> > In article <511@ptsfc.UUCP> bgo@ptsfc.UUCP (Bud Odekirk) writes:
> > >I have two VHS recorders, when I record from one to the other I get a
> > >blip between each take.
> > >
> > >Does anyone know how to avoid the blip ??????
> > >
> > The only way around this problem is to purchase VHS editing decks with
> > flying erase heads or to purchase 3/4" editing equipment, which also has
> > flying erase heads.  I use 3/4" decks here at home for editing.
I edit using three different Beta Machines - Sony(2005,2710,2700) and never
encounter this problem.  All my edits are "blipless" and "errorless".