[net.video] Looking for tunerless, timerless vcr

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (01/31/86)

Is it possible to buy a VHS VCR without the tuner, rf modulator, or timer?
All I want or need is video+audio in, video+audio out.  Should be quite a
bit cheaper than the standard VCR.

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (02/03/86)

> Is it possible to buy a VHS VCR without the tuner, rf modulator, or timer?
> All I want or need is video+audio in, video+audio out.  Should be quite a
> bit cheaper than the standard VCR.

You might be able to buy half of a portable (They usu consist of a
recorder unit and a tuner/timer unit). Last I checked, canon would
sell just the recorder part but hitachi wouldn't. Only problem is
you may not save much money since portables are expensive.

                -Steve "Brain? Sorry, Wrong Planet" Dunn

wmartin@brl-smoke.UUCP (02/03/86)

> Is it possible to buy a VHS VCR without the tuner, rf modulator, or timer?
> All I want or need is video+audio in, video+audio out.  Should be quite a
> bit cheaper than the standard VCR.

I agree that such a beast *should* be cheaper, if it exists, but I'll
also wager that it will not be! I venture to guess that economies of
scale will make an ordinary VCR with tuner & timer cheaper than one
without those included. It is probably exactly analogous to the
situation in audio regarding receivers and amplifiers -- you can easily
find a cheap receiver for $100 or so but try and find just the amplifier
section of this for $75 or $80! You can't. The cheapest integrated amplifiers
all cost more than the cheapest receiver. The makers can sell so many
more of the low-end receivers than they can sell stand-alone amplifiers
that it becomes cheaper (per-item) to make something more complex.

Will

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (02/03/86)

> Is it possible to buy a VHS VCR without the tuner, rf modulator, or timer?
> All I want or need is video+audio in, video+audio out.  Should be quite a
> bit cheaper than the standard VCR.

I've never heard of such a thing, but I have seen play-only VCR's for sale.
The problem is that the cost difference is insignificant.  Electronics is
cheap.  The expense is in the mechanics of the tape deck, rotory head, etc.
A VCR without the tuner, timer, etc. would be at most 20% cheaper than a
complete VCR.

> Is it possible to buy a VHS VCR without the tuner, rf modulator, or timer?

	Yes, if you want to buy a commercial quiality unit.

> All I want or need is video+audio in, video+audio out.  Should be quite a
> bit cheaper than the standard VCR.

	Apparently there is not much consumer demand for a "plain" video
cartridge recorder-player; most consumers want to record off-the-air programs,
and manufacturers want to produce as few different models as possible.  The
consumer VCR stuff is junk anyhow.  If you want a decent quality VHS unit, try
something like a Panasonic NV-8420, which is an industrial quality recorder,
and which sells for ~ $ 1K.  Panasonic has a companion tuner-timer, if you
change your mind.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

sgt@cord.UUCP (SG Trischetta) (02/04/86)

Someone (I didn't catch the name) recently wondered about the availability
of a timer-less, tuner-less VCR, expecting it to be substantially cheaper.

Wrong.

There are VCRs currently available that fit the description perfectly.
They are the portable half of the "twin" tuner/VCR units. The "home"
half of the unit contains the power supply, tuner and timer, while the
portable half is strictly VCR functions.

If you check the electrical requirements specs on the unit, I'm sure you
will find that the power supply can be a commonly-available unit, used
for running auto tape players and the like, at home.

The problem with all of this is: the price. These units, which can be ordered
separately, cost more than the typical stationary VCR.

My advice: Look for an older, single-event VCR at an appliance clearance
center (Bambergers runs a few in the N.J. area) if you want a rock-bottom
price for one.

Having already purchased 3 VCRs (the last one - pre-hifi stereo) I think
you should bite the bullet and get a newer one. Those features that you
"don't need" quickly become prominent conveniences.

Good luck!

Steve Trischetta
AT&T Bell Laboratories (LC 3N-R03)
uucp: {ihnp4 or other NAC site}!cord!sgt
phone: (201) 580-4629

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (02/05/86)

> > Is it possible to buy a VHS VCR without the tuner, rf modulator, or timer?
> > All I want or need is video+audio in, video+audio out.  Should be quite a
> > bit cheaper than the standard VCR.
>
> I've never heard of such a thing, but I have seen play-only VCR's for sale.
> The problem is that the cost difference is insignificant.  Electronics is
> cheap.  The expense is in the mechanics of the tape deck, rotory head, etc.
> A VCR without the tuner, timer, etc. would be at most 20% cheaper than a
> complete VCR.

	This thing is called a portable VCR. Most of the portables available
come in two parts: the tuner/timer and the VCR proper, and you can also buy
the parts separately. An example of this is my good old Quasar version of the
Panasonic PV-6600.
--
					Jim Scardelis, SA
					{hjuxa,ihnp4}!wcom!frodo

#include <favorite disclaimer>

zarifes@bnrmtv.UUCP (Kenneth Zarifes) (02/08/86)

You can get the portable Canon (Hi-Fi or non Hi-Fi) without buying
the tuner.  It's an excellent VCR.

--

{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!zarifes          --Ken Zarifes

rb@ccivax.UUCP (rex ballard) (02/08/86)

In article <3253@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:
>> Is it possible to buy a VHS VCR without the tuner, rf modulator, or timer?
>> All I want or need is video+audio in, video+audio out.  Should be quite a
>> bit cheaper than the standard VCR.
>
>I've never heard of such a thing, but I have seen play-only VCR's for sale.
>The problem is that the cost difference is insignificant.  Electronics is
>cheap.  The expense is in the mechanics of the tape deck, rotory head, etc.
>A VCR without the tuner, timer, etc. would be at most 20% cheaper than a
>complete VCR.

Strangely enough, it is possible to get such a thing, as a professional
studio recorder.  But the catch is that because it is professional
equipment, it will cost TWICE AS MUCH as a consumer-line deck.

Seems volume brings the costs down.  That and the mythical percieved
value!!!  There are portable decks with separate tuners which can
be special ordered without tuners from specialty shops.  Don't expect
K-Mart prices though.  Full retail and a service charge from both
the manufacturer and the dealer are not that unusual.