[net.video] SL-HF 900 questions

e-smith@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric L. Smith) (02/05/86)

I have a few questions about the Sony SL-HF 900 SuperBeta Hi-Fi VCR
which the local sales people couldn't answer.  I would like to get
answers from someone who has one.

1)  To what extent can the insertion editing be remotely controlled?  I would
    like to use it with a SMPTE vertical interval time code generator/reader
    and have computer control over editing to do things like edit together
    computer graphics frame by frame.  Does the edit interface allow you to do
    this type of thing?  I suppose what I really need is to be able to position
    the tape, set the start and end edit marks, and initiate the edit.  I
    further suppose that as long as the edit marking and initiation is
    controllable, I could imitate the IR remote to search, if I had to.  If the
    interface won't do what I want I guess I'll just have to hack it up.

2)  When you program timed record events, can you specify the input
    sources?  I'd like to be able to program it to record a TV program,
    then a radio program, etc.

3)  The brochure says that the RMT-125 UniCommander remote control uses
    "Sony Infrared Remote Control System" (SIRCS), "that permits multiple
    command functions with no conflict between them -- even remote control
    of two Betamax VCRs independently, without interference."  Does this
    mean I can get two units, and uses separate remotes with both?  Do you
    set some code or frequency to distinguish them?  My current VCR just has
    a switch to disable the remote, so if you have two you can only use one
    remote.  Has anyone used the GE Command Central with this?  Can you
    program it to control 2 SL-HF 900s (I wish it had more than 4 modes)?

4)  In the brochure I just picked up (TURN PRO!) on one page there is
    a box that looks to be about 3" tall by 5" wide, depth unknown, with an
    LCD display and typical VCR controls on top of the SL-HF 900.  What is it?
    An 8-mm VCR?

5)  Last, but most important, a non-technical question:  Where can I get a
    really good discount?  I've got to have it!!!!!  (Beta forever!!!!!!)

aTdHvAaNnKcSe.
Just about everything in this message is a trademark of Sony Corporation or
Sony Corporation of America.

Eric L. Smith  (801) 581-8100  e-smith@utah-cs.arpa  ...decvax!utah-cs!e-smith
3118 Merrill Engineering,  University of Utah,  Salt Lake City, UT  84112

The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the
University of Utah, my friends, enemies, computer, or even me.  :-)

Have you noticedd those protest signs along the highways, "End Construction"?

clements@bbncca.ARPA (Bob Clements) (02/11/86)

> I have a few questions about the Sony SL-HF 900 SuperBeta Hi-Fi VCR
> which the local sales people couldn't answer.  I would like to get
> answers from someone who has one.

OK, I have one and I can answer some of the questions. I'm awaiting the
service manual which may (or may not) provide more info.

> 1)  To what extent can the insertion editing be remotely controlled?  I would
>     like to use it with a SMPTE vertical interval time code generator/reader
>     and have computer control over editing to do things like edit together
>     computer graphics frame by frame.  Does the edit interface allow you to do
>     this type of thing?  I suppose what I really need is to be able to position
>     the tape, set the start and end edit marks, and initiate the edit.  I
>     further suppose that as long as the edit marking and initiation is
>     controllable, I could imitate the IR remote to search, if I had to.  If the
>     interface won't do what I want I guess I'll just have to hack it up.

The owner's manual doesn't talk about anything beyond the infrared remote
that comes with it. I wouldn't be surprised if you can do more with some
other box that nobody has outside of Japan. But the standard control
allows you to position frame by frame, forward and backwards. It does NOT
allow you to set the edit start and stop and initiate the edit. Those are
local buttons on the deck. Sounds like a good project to build a kludge to
send all 64 possible commands and see what they do.  Shouldn't be too hard
to do, since these decks/TVs have an electrical control input as well as
an infrared one. The idea is that you stick the TV out in the open and
have the VCR in your cabinetry somewhere, then point at the TV to control
both of them.

> 2)  When you program timed record events, can you specify the input
>     sources?  I'd like to be able to program it to record a TV program,
>     then a radio program, etc.

Sorry, no. That's a slide switch, not programable.

> 3)  The brochure says that the RMT-125 UniCommander remote control uses
>     "Sony Infrared Remote Control System" (SIRCS), "that permits multiple
>     command functions with no conflict between them -- even remote control
>     of two Betamax VCRs independently, without interference."  Does this
>     mean I can get two units, and uses separate remotes with both?  Do you
>     set some code or frequency to distinguish them?  My current VCR just has
>     a switch to disable the remote, so if you have two you can only use one
>     remote.  Has anyone used the GE Command Central with this?  Can you
>     program it to control 2 SL-HF 900s (I wish it had more than 4 modes)?

The two VCRs are named VCR1 and VCR2. There is a slide switch on the deck
to say which it is. Sony VCRs without this feature are all VCR1.  The
remote has a slide switch on the back for which VCR is to be controlled.
(The VCR remote also controls most of the functions of a Trinitron TV.)
The mechanism for this is that the controller's data stream has a
prefix field and a command field. The prefix says what device it is aimed
at, and there are two values for two different VCRs.  And yes, the GE
Control Central will work with these units. [As an aside, the Control
Central does all my stuff EXCEPT my Yamaha CD player and Emerson VHS[Yuck]
VCR, the one DAK is selling, with MTS and VHS Hifi.]

> 4)  In the brochure I just picked up (TURN PRO!) on one page there is
>     a box that looks to be about 3" tall by 5" wide, depth unknown, with an
>     LCD display and typical VCR controls on top of the SL-HF 900.  What is it?
>     An 8-mm VCR?

No idea. I haven't seen that brochure.

> 5)  Last, but most important, a non-technical question:  Where can I get a
>     really good discount?  I've got to have it!!!!!  (Beta forever!!!!!!)

Also no idea. But I agree, you gotta have it. It's the neatest thing since
sliced bread, and best picture of any home deck.

> Eric L. Smith  (801) 581-8100  e-smith@utah-cs.arpa  ...decvax!utah-cs!e-smith

/Rcc
Bob Clements   clements@bbn.arpa  ...{ihnp4, decvax}!bbncca!clements

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (02/12/86)

In article <3667@utah-cs.UUCP> e-smith@utah-cs.UUCP (Eric L. Smith) writes:
>I have a few questions about the Sony SL-HF 900 SuperBeta Hi-Fi VCR
>which the local sales people couldn't answer.  I would like to get
>answers from someone who has one.
>
>1)  To what extent can the insertion editing be remotely controlled?

I don't have their edit controller, and therefore am not able to answer
this question for you.  Please note that this machine does NOT have a
flying erase head (yea--I know, and *almost* editing deck), so the insert
edits have interference from what was recorded previously at that spot.

>2)  When you program timed record events, can you specify the input
>    sources?  I'd like to be able to program it to record a TV program,
>    then a radio program, etc.

You can select from two ANTENNA inputs under program control.  You cannot
control the tuner/aux/simulcast switch under program control.  Yea, I already
wrote them about that one.

>3)  The brochure says that the RMT-125 UniCommander remote control uses
>    "Sony Infrared Remote Control System" (SIRCS), "that permits multiple
>    command functions with no conflict between them -- even remote control
>    of two Betamax VCRs independently, without interference."  Does this
>    mean I can get two units, and uses separate remotes with both?  Do you
>    set some code or frequency to distinguish them?

The Sony controller and VCR's have two "channels" which can be used.  There
is a switch on the VCR to select VTR1/VTR2 and the remote has a similar
switch.  I have a pair of these decks and leave one remote by the sofa and
one at my reading desk, switching the remote to control whichever deck has
the tape I am scanning at the time.  (Don't ask about reading and viewing
at the same time--let's face it, much of what is available does not require
careful attention to comprehend.  I use double-speed playback a lot since
the HiFi track is also played back at double speed.)

>4)  In the brochure I just picked up (TURN PRO!) on one page there is
>    a box that looks to be about 3" tall by 5" wide, depth unknown, with an
>    LCD display and typical VCR controls on top of the SL-HF 900.  What is it?
>    An 8-mm VCR?

SPECULATION:  The edit controller.

>5)  Last, but most important, a non-technical question:  Where can I get a
>    really good discount?  I've got to have it!!!!!  (Beta forever!!!!!!)

In Utah, no idea.  In Los Angeles it is available about $950
from Adray's, and seems to be dropping slightly each month (like $10).
Call the discounters in NY (BUT AVOID N.Y. WHOLESALERS, INC!)

>aTdHvAaNnKcSe.

Huh???

spencer@oberon.UUCP (Randy Spencer) (02/13/86)

> 1)  To what extent can the insertion editing be remotely controlled?  I would
>     like to use it with a SMPTE vertical interval time code generator/reader
>     and have computer control over editing to do things like edit together
>     computer graphics frame by frame. Does the edit interface allow you to do
>     this type of thing?

There is no way to enter the insert mode using the current remote control.
There is no direct output for the longitudinal track, so the SMPTE would be
mixed with the HiFi audio.  There is no specific jack that allows the reading
of the control track head so it would be difficult for the computer to tell
where on the tape you had moved to unless you only used the timecode, and the
time code generator would have to work off of the vertical retrace.  Lastly,
and perhaps most importantly, there is no flying erase head.  If you want to
do frame by frame editing you need 3/4 or 8mm.  As soon as they come out with
the table top 8mm with the great editing I am going to do all my editing there.
I have the 8mm camcorder and edits are frighteningly clean.  Single frame
will be easy with the advent of an 8mm editor.  The instruction manuals for
my SHiFi and my 8mm both mention the unit.  If any one has seen it anywhere
please send me mail.

> 2)  When you program timed record events, can you specify the input
>     sources?  I'd like to be able to program it to record a TV program,
>     then a radio program, etc.

No, the input sources are on switches.  I find this annoying when I am trying
to record a program that is stereo (TMC) followed by one that isn't (HBO).

> 3)  The brochure says that the RMT-125 UniCommander remote control uses
>     "Sony Infrared Remote Control System" (SIRCS), "that permits multiple
>     command functions with no conflict between them -- even remote control
>     of two Betamax VCRs independently, without interference." ...Can you
>     program it to control 2 SL-HF 900s (...)?

What they have done is created a second set of codes.  They are a complete set
and both the remote and the vcr has a switch.  VTR1 means the old codes and
works on my SL-2700.  VTR2 means the new codes.  I have set my HF 900 to VTR2.
I can use the old remote to work the SL-2700 or use the New remote to control
both just by flipping the switch on the bottom.  If you want to use two 900's
you set one for VTR1 and the other for VTR2.

> 5)  Last, but most important, a non-technical question:  Where can I get a
>     really good discount?  I've got to have it!!!!!  (Beta forever!!!!!!)

No, no, no way in the world.  Not until there is something better, and then,
who would want it?

> Eric L. Smith  801) 581-8100  e-smith@utah-cs.arpa  ...decvax!utah-cs!e-smith

Randy Spencer-Spencer@usc-oberon
Randal Spencer  - Student DEC Consulting -   University of Southern California
(213) 743-5363  UUCP...!{uscvax,sdcrdcf,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol}!oberon!spencer
Arpa: Spencer@USC-ECL  or  Spencer@USC-Oberon          Bitnet: Spencer@USCVAXQ
Home: 937 N. Beverly Glen Bl. Bel Air California 90077          (213) 470-0428