[net.math] Long integers on the Cray?

mwm@eris.berkeley.edu (08/07/86)

Not sure where this ought to go, but these two groups look best.

Since Berkeley has just acquired a Cray, and I like playing with large
integers (100+ digits), having software to use the hardware that makes
the Cray go fast to deal with these becomes of interest. A quick
glance at the problem makes it look like you can do 1400+ bit adds in
1-2 nanoseconds/bit using the vector hardware.

Anyone got this (other than the NSA, who probably doesn't want to let
me have their code :-)? Anyone interested in it should I write it?

	Thanx,
	<mike

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (08/09/86)

In article <1068@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris.berkeley.edu writes:

> Not sure where this ought to go, but these two groups look best.
>
> Since Berkeley has just acquired a Cray, and I like playing with large
> integers (100+ digits), having software to use the hardware that makes
> the Cray go fast to deal with these becomes of interest. A quick
> glance at the problem makes it look like you can do 1400+ bit adds in
> 1-2 nanoseconds/bit using the vector hardware.
>
> Anyone got this (other than the NSA, who probably doesn't want to let
> me have their code :-)? Anyone interested in it should I write it?
>
> 	Thanx,
> 	<mike
Yeah, ask the guy that recently did the 30 million value of pi on
the Cray 2 over at NASA, I'll E-mail you a copy of the article.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102

Spock: "Captain, you are an excellent Starship Captain, but as
a taxi driver, you leave much to be desired."

Kirk: "What do you mean, 'if both survive' ?"
T'Pow: "This combat is to the death"