[net.video] Sony 8mm VCR - EV-S700U

sewelch@watdragon.UUCP (Stephen E. Welch) (02/14/86)

   I visited a local VCR dealer yesterday and was quite impressed by the
8mm sony tabletop VCR. Unfortuneately, the salesman was not very knowledgeable
about the unit. If anybody out there has one could they please answer the
following questions?

Is a MTS stereo decoder built-in?
Can you record the 6 tracks of PCM audio in SP and LP and does the sound differ?
Does the 2x time compressed mode really work?
Is the AFM sound mono or stereo?

If anybody has any comments on other features of the system, I would be very
interested. Thanks a lot
					Stephen Welch
				        sewelch@watdragon

lklee@trwrba.UUCP (Lester K. Lee) (02/23/86)

In article <376@watdragon.UUCP> sewelch@watdragon.UUCP (Stephen E. Welch) writes:

>   I visited a local VCR dealer yesterday and was quite impressed by the
>8mm sony tabletop VCR. Unfortuneately, the salesman was not very knowledgeable
>about the unit. If anybody out there has one could they please answer the
>following questions?
>
>Is a MTS stereo decoder built-in?
>Can you record the 6 tracks of PCM audio in SP and LP and does the sound differ?
>Does the 2x time compressed mode really work?
>Is the AFM sound mono or stereo?
>
>If anybody has any comments on other features of the system, I would be very
>interested. Thanks a lot
>					Stephen Welch
>				        sewelch@watdragon

I own one and have summarized its basic features:

1. Multi Pcm recording on 6 tracks in sp or lp
   recording time ( P-120 tape )
         sp = 2hrs/track for a total of 12 hours total
         lp = 4hrs/track for a total of 24 hours total
   sp and lp recordings can be mixed on one tape
   ( I have not noticed any difference in sound quality in the slower mode )

2.  Manual or automatic adjustment of audio recording level

3.  Audio dubbing

4.  FM simulcast recording

5.  variable tape speed - freeze, stop-action advance, slow-motion,
    and double speed

6.  smooth recording with pause button

7.  quick timer recording - one touch button 30min increment

8.  Mts built in decoder with SAP

9.  Standard Video recording without PCM - FM (monaural)
                             with    PCM - 2 channel digital (stereo)

10. PCM: sampling frequency - 31.5 kHz
         audio frequency    - 20-15 kHz
         dynamic range      - more than 88dB
         wow & flutter      - less than 0.005%

11. Video timer recording - 6 events/3 weeks max

12. Direct connect to Sony SL-HF900 for synchronized editing.

I hope this summary helps.

                                L.K.Lee
                                TRW,EDS
                                lklee@trwrba