[net.video] Question: Single frame recording

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (02/20/86)

I would like to know what hardware is (minimally) required
to record one frame at a time on 3/4" tape.  I have a video
source (frame buffer) that will genlock to external sync.

It only puts out RGB, so I know I'll need an encoder.  What else?

Can anyone suggest a particular model number of 3/4" machine
that would be suitable for this work?  Also, if you are in the
Northern NJ area, I'll hire you to teach me how to do this.

	-Steve ihnp4!bambi!steve

heneghan@ihlpf.UUCP (Heneghan) (02/21/86)

> I would like to know what hardware is (minimally) required
> to record one frame at a time on 3/4" tape.  I have a video
> source (frame buffer) that will genlock to external sync.
>
> It only puts out RGB, so I know I'll need an encoder.  What else?
>
> Can anyone suggest a particular model number of 3/4" machine
> that would be suitable for this work?  Also, if you are in the
> Northern NJ area, I'll hire you to teach me how to do this.

I have a similar interest and I saw a camera that allowed you to
do a frame at a time and to program intervals between shots. So
you could record a flower blooming by programming a shot every
2 minutes for example. I think it was a top of the line Panasonic
with charachter generator et al.

					Joe Heneghan

brown@nicmad.UUCP (02/22/86)

In article <286@bambi.UUCP> steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>I would like to know what hardware is (minimally) required
>to record one frame at a time on 3/4" tape.  I have a video
>source (frame buffer) that will genlock to external sync.

Unfortunately, 3/4" machines were not designed for single frame editing.
The units that I have have +/- 2 frame error, while editing.  Not good
for single frame stuff.  I don't expect the newer machines to be any better.

Now, with SMPTE encoding, and a computer controlled editing controller (that
reads the SMPTE time-code), you may be able to get 1 frame accuracy.  You will
have to check with the various suppliers of equipment.

I have seen stuff on doing single frame recording on 1"C equipment.  There is
special equipment out to do just that.

Sorry that this doesn't exactly answer your question, but you will not be able
to do it cheaply.

This opinion is mine and I expect it to be upgraded by someone who has the
equipment, or knows about such.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (02/24/86)

> ... I saw a camera that allowed you to
> do a frame at a time and to program intervals between shots. So
> you could record a flower blooming by programming a shot every
> 2 minutes for example. I think it was a top of the line Panasonic
> with charachter generator et al.
>
> 					Joe Heneghan

I friend of mine has the canon version of this camera (Saticon instead
of Newvicon tube). If I remember right the interval recording feature
will record n MINUTES every m MINUTES. There's no way the recorder could
record single frames even if the camera could tell it to (Assuming you
use any of the portable's I've ever seen). Anyway, with a fancy editing
system you could tediously assemble that sequence with the flower, but
note the current discussion on single frame editing.

            -Steve "Chainsaw" Dunn

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (02/25/86)

In article <549@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP writes:
> In article <286@bambi.UUCP> steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
> >I would like to know what hardware is (minimally) required
> >to record one frame at a time on 3/4" tape.
>
> Unfortunately, 3/4" machines were not designed for single frame editing.
>
> Now, with SMPTE encoding, and a computer controlled editing controller (that
> reads the SMPTE time-code), you may be able to get 1 frame accuracy.
>
> I have seen stuff on doing single frame recording on 1"C equipment.  There is
> special equipment out to do just that.

Our 1" machines do not need special equipment.  It is standard on the Sony
decks on the "record/editing" control panel.  You simply press the "AUTO"
button, select what type of edit you want to do (assemble, insert:video,
audio 1, audio 2, audio 3), find the frame (time) you wish to start the
edit and press the "IN" button, find the frame you wish to end the edit and
press the "OUT" button, then press "PREVIEW" to see what it would look like,
or "EDIT" to have it automatically do it. Voila!!! all done.  to one frame.
On standard equipment.  Of course, we also have available in the production
booth a CMX computer controlled editing system which also controls the tape
machines.  You flip a switch on each machine to determine whether you want
to do local editing as described above or use the CMX computer.  Each has
it's own good points.  The local method is fast and accurate and is fine
for one or two edits.  However, when you have a major editing job,  It is
nice to sit in a quiet booth with the producer/director/etc. and control
the edits from that position.

Now the kicker. You will not be able to do it cheaply.  This equipment is
not intended for home use.  It usually takes 2 machines minumum for good
editing and at ~$200K per machine, The average homeowner or amateur isn't
about to buy them.

You can get all your material together and then rent time from some production
houses.  Usually, you can take your sources to the facility and have them
bump them up to 1" and then give you a copy of the work tape on 3/4" or 1/2"
with the time code "burned" in the picture.  You then take those worktapes
home and using the timecodes, plan your edits and production.  (This is the
way the big boys do it, also.   That way it does not tie up the machines for
planning stages)  Then go back with your planned "script" and do the actual
work, thereby cutting down on actual machine time.  In other words, plan
your work prior to getting on the machine.

I hope this helps out.
These opinions are mine, of course.

jimb

dsi@unccvax.UUCP (02/26/86)

    The only way you can do this reasonably is with a Sony BVH-2500 C-type
VTR.  Instead of going to the $117,000 (give or take a few thousand) expense,
why not try FILM instead?

     The BVH-2500 (we have one) allows you not only to record still frames
in sequence, but to record a still field at any arbitrary location on the
videotape which has been pre-SMPTE encoded.  Even this recorder does not have
the positioning accuracy in its transport to seek to a given track on the
tape; it relies on being able to move the recording and playback head in
the headwheel to find the track in question.  U-Matic and worse recorders
don't have enough transport accuracy to even allow still frame reproduction
without a time base corrector. (The Sony requires a TBC as well but the
raw video (demod) out is exceptionally free from subcarrier frequency
modulation, etc.)

      Everyone should have a BVH-2500 in their living rooms, right beside
the their Mirage, Paintbox, and Ampex ADO.

This is one of those times that film probably is more reasonable than
using tape...

David Anthony
DataSpan, Inc

brown@nicmad.UUCP (02/27/86)

In article <524@tekcbi.UUCP> jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) writes:
>In article <549@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP writes:
>> In article <286@bambi.UUCP> steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) writes:
>> >I would like to know what hardware is (minimally) required
>> >to record one frame at a time on 3/4" tape.
>>
>> Unfortunately, 3/4" machines were not designed for single frame editing.
>>
>> Now, with SMPTE encoding, and a computer controlled editing controller (that
>> reads the SMPTE time-code), you may be able to get 1 frame accuracy.
>>
>> I have seen stuff on doing single frame recording on 1"C equipment.  There is
>> special equipment out to do just that.
>>
>Our 1" machines do not need special equipment.  It is standard on the Sony
>decks on the "record/editing" control panel.  You simply press the "AUTO"
>button, select what type of edit you want to do (assemble, insert:video,
>audio 1, audio 2, audio 3), find the frame (time) you wish to start the
>edit and press the "IN" button, find the frame you wish to end the edit and
>press the "OUT" button, then press "PREVIEW" to see what it would look like,
>or "EDIT" to have it automatically do it. Voila!!! all done.  to one frame.

True.  I should have stated the equipment list a little better.  Yes, you
can indeed do 1 fram accuracy with 1"C equipment.  But the equipment that I
meant are the ones that record one frame at a time, ie, you give it a frame
of information (say from a computer generating a mini-movie, etc), tell the
1"C machine to record it.  It does, and then sits on the tape for the next
frame.  None of this shuttling the tape back and forth.  A true single frame
recorder, which is what I believe the original poster wanted.  But, as
you also said, too expensive for home users.

The kind of video recorder I am talking about will save LOTS of time, when
it comes to putting computer generated images onto video.
--

In article <625@nbires.UUCP> nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) writes:
>> ... I saw a camera that allowed you to
>> do a frame at a time and to program intervals between shots. So
>> you could record a flower blooming by programming a shot every
>> 2 minutes for example. I think it was a top of the line Panasonic
>> with charachter generator et al.
>>
>> 					Joe Heneghan
>I friend of mine has the canon version of this camera (Saticon instead
>of Newvicon tube). If I remember right the interval recording feature
>will record n MINUTES every m MINUTES. There's no way the recorder could
>record single frames even if the camera could tell it to (Assuming you
>use any of the portable's I've ever seen). Anyway, with a fancy editing
>system you could tediously assemble that sequence with the flower, but
>note the current discussion on single frame editing.
>
>            -Steve "Chainsaw" Dunn

A couple of years ago, I heard several rumors about a Sony camera that
included a magnetic disk recorder that was supposed to retail for 'under $600'.
The disk was a small (3-1/2) inch that could store about 3 minutes worth of
video, but you could single frame and timelapse etc.  I later heard that the
product was released in Japan.  Has anyone heard similar?  It was supposed to
make the Super-8 cameras obsolete by providing those features that Super-8
has but video hasn't.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

steve@bambi.UUCP (Steve Miller) (02/28/86)

>>> Unfortunately, 3/4" machines were not designed for single frame editing.

>1"C machine... sits on the tape for the next
>frame.  None of this shuttling the tape back and forth.  A true single frame
>recorder, which is what I believe the original poster wanted.

To clarify:  A pre-roll is OK with me.  The manual with the Sony BVU-820
(a professional 3/4" machine, weighing in at about $18,000) says that
its built-in editting controller is good to +/- 1 frame.  In practice,
it has worked to zero frame reliably, though I haven't seen any animation
produced this way; just sequences of single frame edits.  Also, though
it is able to accept time code as an option, these edits were done
with the editting controller just counting frames.  What I'm hoping for
is that someone will tell me they've been able to do this for under
$10,000.

		-Steve Miller ihnp4!bambi!steve