[net.video] DBX chip

misha@daisy.UUCP (Mike Umansky) (03/04/86)

This question is in regards to recent discussion of building an MTS
stereo decoder as described in February issue of Radio-Electronics.
Some of you stated that building this decoder is not practical
because there is no DBX noise reduction chip available to consumer.

Does anyone know the manufacturers name and/or address, phone, who
makes this chip????
Thank you.
		NAME:	Michael Umansky (misha)
		E-MAIL: ucbvax!hplabs!nsc!daisy!misha
		WORK:
			Daisy Systems Corp.
			700B Middlefield Road
			Mountain View, CA  94039-7006
			(415) 960-7166 (work)
		HOME:
			94 Cassia Ct.
			Hayward, CA  94544
			(415) 886-4805 (home)

billk@tektronix.UUCP (Bill Kenworthy) (03/06/86)

In article <149@daisy.UUCP>, misha@daisy.UUCP (Mike Umansky) writes:
> Some of you stated that building this decoder is not practical
> because there is no DBX noise reduction chip available to consumer.
>
> Does anyone know the manufacturers name and/or address, phone, who
> makes this chip????
It's not available.  It isn't available on a chip.  Requires several
chips and muchos parts.

However, Understand that Sony and I believe Toshiba have some samples
of a chip in the hands of some OEM's for eval.  Strictly prototype.
Parts count, however, has not been reduced.  Still out a ways, yet.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (03/07/86)

> This question is in regards to recent discussion of building an MTS
> stereo decoder as described in February issue of Radio-Electronics.
> Some of you stated that building this decoder is not practical
> because there is no DBX noise reduction chip available to consumer.
>
> Does anyone know the manufacturers name and/or address, phone, who
> makes this chip????

Let's try it again.  There is no MTS-type DBX noise reduction chip
available anywhere, to anyone, at any price.  It's a safe bet that one
will be available someday.

If you're interested in licensing the patents for the circuit, I presume
that you should talk to Zenith.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug