[net.video] copying rented videocassettes

rkj@ides.UUCP (Rick Janka) (02/28/86)

I have recently purchased a vcr (VHS) and have used it for playing rented
tapes and recording a few broadcast movies.  I am aware that something
called Copyguard exists, but I know next to nothing about it.  If I borrow
a friend's vcr and attempt to copy a rented tape, will I get garbage?  One
dealer I spoke with said that he has not run into problems with recording
rented tapes, but that Copyguard typically prevents copying tapes borrowed
from a public library.  I assume that a tape I record myself, from whatever
source, could be copied without problems, though maybe that is incorrect.

I'd appreciate any enlightenment, but please don't waste your fingers on
flames regarding legalities; I am interested only in the technical aspects.

Rick Janka
ihnp4!ides!rkj

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/03/86)

In article <161@ides.UUCP> rkj@ides.UUCP (Rick Janka) writes:
>I have recently purchased a vcr (VHS) and have used it for playing rented
>tapes and recording a few broadcast movies.  I am aware that something
>called Copyguard exists, but I know next to nothing about it.  If I borrow
>a friend's vcr and attempt to copy a rented tape, will I get garbage?  One
>dealer I spoke with said that he has not run into problems with recording
>rented tapes, but that Copyguard typically prevents copying tapes borrowed
>from a public library.  I assume that a tape I record myself, from whatever
>source, could be copied without problems, though maybe that is incorrect.
>
>I'd appreciate any enlightenment, but please don't waste your fingers on
>flames regarding legalities; I am interested only in the technical aspects.

'Copyguard' hasn't been used on VHS tapes in a few years.  The term implied
the technique of changing the vertical sync, a little bit, so that the tv
would still display it without rolling and the copying vcr would have
trouble recording it.  But, as the vcrs got better, most table top units
would record correctly ANY tv signal that was even close in the vertical
sync.  I have been through two table top units where that is what would
happen.  A portable model of one of the table top units would still record
the tape, but the head switch-over point could be seen wandering though
the picture.  Not exactly what the duplicators wanted.  Plus, there are
companies making devices that would replace part of the bad sync so that
the recorders that wouldn't record the signal would.  So, as time went on
the duplicators dropped the 'copyguard' technique on VHS tapes.

Beta machines, especially ones made by Sony, still wanted perfect vertical
sync, so they tended to not record any picture if 'copyguard' was used.
A couple of people I know ran into this problem.  They have cheaper units,
so I don't know what the top-of-the-line Beta decks do with damaged vertical
sync.

But, here is the newest killer to video tape copying: Macrovision.  It is
a technique whereby the AGC circuit of VHS decks is fooled.  The vertical
sync is not damaged.  What is done is that during the vertical blanking
area (the lines that following the vertical sync, up until the picture
starts again) is changed.  Right after the color burst pulse the video
signal is sent to horzontal tip level and then to white level.  About 7 of
these transitions occur for about 5 lines worth.  The sharp transition from
horizontal sync tip to white level messes with the AGC circuit of a
majority of machines.  Also, about 7 lines before vertical sync and for
3 lines of the vertical sync, the area that is used for the color burst
(know as the back porch), is sent to white level.

This technique does not work on Beta machines, as the AGC circuit design
is completely different.  It also doesn't work on all VHS machines either.

CBS Fox has recently announced that all product will be released with the
'Macrovision' anti-copy technique.  Supposidly something like 5 million
units.

The next question is probably; how do the duplicators get around this
signal.  The company that makes the 'Macrovision' signal modifies all of
the slave VHS machines, so that the AGC circuit is fixed and no longer
operational.  Obviously the cure for home machines is to modify the
machines so that the AGC circuit is also fixed.  The other way is to
build a circuit, with a handfull of parts, that locks onto the sync
and then replace the changed video area with good video signal.  Since
there are all kinds of sync separator chips out there, it would be an
easy job.

I personally feel that CBS Fox is wasting their money and ours, as will
will ultimately pay the price in the cost of each tape.  Because so many
units will be shipped, the video enhancer manufacturers will build the
above described circuit into their boxes.

The above discussion doesn't indicate that I support copying of rented tapes.
I am always interested in what the companies try and do to stop people from
copying tapes.  It is like a puzzle.  I like to solve electronic puzzles.
I have to laugh at the latest venture, as it won't be long before this one
is beaten as well.  There is nothing that somebody can design that someone
else can un-design.  When it somes to video, there isn't much that can be
done to make it unrecordable.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

fish@ihu1g.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (03/04/86)

> I have recently purchased a vcr (VHS) and have used it for playing rented
> tapes and recording a few broadcast movies.  I am aware that something
> called Copyguard exists, but I know next to nothing about it.  If I borrow
> a friend's vcr and attempt to copy a rented tape, will I get garbage?

"Copyguard" isn't used much any more.  What it did was to snip off part of
the sync pulse, on the theory that it would cause a pirated copy to roll
uncontrollably.  Since it also messed up older TVs and could produce a
jittery picture even on newer sets, it wasn't very well received.  Besides,
it's ridiculously easy to defeat with any sync stabilizer, an after-market
component that restores to the sync pulse what copyguard snips off.  They're
about $60 nowadays.

The kind of copy you get from a rental tape (or any other tape, for that
matter) depends on the condition it's in.  If the original is in good
shape, you'll get a good copy.  Some rental tapes, especially ones
of very popular films, get beat up in short order, and yield lousy
copies.  I've rented tapes that had been so chewed up by previous renters
that I couldn't watch them, let alone copy them (I recently rented a copy
of "Rambo" that must have gone to 'Nam with him).

Almost everything that comes out on videocassette will be available on HBO,
etc., within a year.  If you've got cable, you might just want to wait
until they broadcast the movie you want; you'll usually get a better
copy that way.
--
 __
/  \

ryan@ucla-cs.UUCP (03/04/86)

In article <161@ides.UUCP> rkj@ides.UUCP (Rick Janka) writes:
>I have recently purchased a vcr (VHS) and have used it for playing rented
>tapes and recording a few broadcast movies.  I am aware that something
>called Copyguard exists, but I know next to nothing about it.  If I borrow
>a friend's vcr and attempt to copy a rented tape, will I get garbage?  One
>dealer I spoke with said that he has not run into problems with recording
>rented tapes, but that Copyguard typically prevents copying tapes borrowed
>from a public library.  I assume that a tape I record myself, from whatever
>source, could be copied without problems, though maybe that is incorrect.

I think i have had a run-in with Copyguard. I once tried to copy "Rambo"
which ended in despair. The sound came out ok, but there was no video.

Any idea on how it works?

--
       -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
       |   _R_y_a_n_ _R_a_m_s_e_y       _H_o_m_e_ _P_h_o_n_e- (213) 391-2888           |

heneghan@ihlpf.UUCP (Heneghan) (03/04/86)

> > I have recently purchased a vcr (VHS) and have used it for playing rented
> > tapes and recording a few broadcast movies.  I am aware that something
> > called Copyguard exists, but I know next to nothing about it.  If I borrow
				.
				.
				.
> Almost everything that comes out on videocassette will be available on HBO,
> etc., within a year.  If you've got cable, you might just want to wait
> until they broadcast the movie you want; you'll usually get a better
> copy that way.
>			Bob Fishell
> 			ihnp4!ihu1g!fish

An alternative would be to find a video rental store that doesn't do a
lot of volume, especially if you have a hifi deck and want to tape in
hifi.
						Joe Heneghan

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (03/05/86)

In article <563@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP writes:
>Beta machines, especially ones made by Sony, still wanted perfect vertical
>sync, so they tended to not record any picture if 'copyguard' was used.
>A couple of people I know ran into this problem.  They have cheaper units,
>so I don't know what the top-of-the-line Beta decks do with damaged vertical
>sync.

I disagree.
I have never (yep, an all inclusive word - but it is true in this case) had
any problem in copying a tape with copyguard on Beta.  I was dubbing from
a Sony SL5400 to VHS or other beta machines.  I have had trouble dubbing from
some VHS machines, but never beta machines.  The machines I used for Beta
were all Sony's -  SL 5200,5400, 5600, 5800, 2700, 2710.  The tapes were
marked as having copyguard on them and you could tell some were.  However,
they dubbed just fine with no external gadgets or add-ons.  I always dubbed
video-video, never RF.
Note: these dubs were never kept.  Call it "delayed to be shown at a more
      convenient time".

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/06/86)

In article <534@tekcbi.UUCP> jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) writes:
>In article <563@nicmad.UUCP>, brown@nicmad.UUCP writes:
>>Beta machines, especially ones made by Sony, still wanted perfect vertical
>>sync, so they tended to not record any picture if 'copyguard' was used.
>>A couple of people I know ran into this problem.  They have cheaper units,
>>so I don't know what the top-of-the-line Beta decks do with damaged vertical
>>sync.
>
>I disagree.
>I have never (yep, an all inclusive word - but it is true in this case) had
>any problem in copying a tape with copyguard on Beta.  I was dubbing from
>a Sony SL5400 to VHS or other beta machines.  I have had trouble dubbing from
>some VHS machines, but never beta machines.  The machines I used for Beta
>were all Sony's -  SL 5200,5400, 5600, 5800, 2700, 2710.  The tapes were
>marked as having copyguard on them and you could tell some were.  However,
>they dubbed just fine with no external gadgets or add-ons.  I always dubbed
>video-video, never RF.
>Note: these dubs were never kept.  Call it "delayed to be shown at a more
>      convenient time".

You have been lucky.  Not all people have, like the ones that I know here.
In the case I mentioned, the user did have trouble.  Maybe the newer machines
are getting better.

BTW, the from machine won't matter.  It is the recording machine that makes the
difference.  I once had to swap the from/to machines, to get around the problem.

Besides, the old 'copyguard' technique is dead, as far as VHS machines are
concerned.  The new 'Macrovision' method is coming around.  But, for you Beta
people, 'Macrovision' does not work.  It is only a method that works on about
50% of the VHS machines (the 50% quote is from the 'Macrovision people).
Since the old 'copyguard' still works on some Beta machines, that may stay
around a while.

The easiest way to see if either copy protection method is being used, is to
use the vertical hold control and bring down the black horizontal bar.
Do it during the black leader of the tape.  You will then be able to see if
there is any kind of protection.  If you see any text characters, that isn't
it.  'Copy guard' will change the vertical sync, while 'Macrovision' will have
about 5 or 7 white boxes right after the vertical sync.  I say white boxes,
as the result will end up looking that way.
--

billk@tektronix.UUCP (Bill Kenworthy) (03/06/86)

In article <354@ihlpf.UUCP>, heneghan@ihlpf.UUCP (Heneghan) writes:
> 				.
> > Almost everything that comes out on videocassette will be available on HBO,
> > etc., within a year.  If you've got cable, you might just want to wait
> > until they broadcast the movie you want; you'll usually get a better
> > copy that way.
> >			Bob Fishell
Not always.  It depends on the quality of the signal you get on the cable.
If the cable signal is noisy, if the solid colors (i.e. blue) have little
black noise dots or whatever - as on my cable system--  then I'd rather stick
with the VCR.  I also get stereo that way.  HBO is currently not in stereo.
They don't send it out in stereo from New York.  Currently, only Movie Channel
has stereo.

> An alternative would be to find a video rental store that doesn't do a
> lot of volume, especially if you have a hifi deck and want to tape in
> hifi.
> 						Joe Heneghan
And preferably in Beta Hi-Fi.  Less time base errors.  Particularly noticeable
on big screens.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/07/86)

In article <6765@tektronix.UUCP> billk@tektronix.UUCP (Bill Kenworthy) writes:
>                                            HBO is currently not in stereo.
>They don't send it out in stereo from New York.  Currently, only Movie Channel
>has stereo.

HBO is distributed in digital stereo.  A direct result of the M/A Comm Cypher IIencoding/decoding system.  But, not all cable companies (mine included) do not
put up the stereo audio on the FM band.  The Movie Channel has been stereo for
alot longer and has had a better chance of getting on a system in stereo.

One of the guys at our head-end put up HBO on the FM band, while it was still
mono.  After the scrambling went 24 hours, he put in the spare stereo exciter
and we had stereo.  But, the powers that be said that it had to be pulled, as
further study was needed.  For no extra cost we had stereo.  Oh Well!!!
--

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (03/12/86)

In <6765@tektronix.UUCP> billk@tektronix.UUCP (Bill Kenworthy) writes:
>HBO is currently not in stereo.
>They don't send it out in stereo from New York.  Currently, only Movie Channel
>has stereo.

I am a subscriber [of|to] Warner-Amex Qube in Columbus, and we get HBO, TMC,
and Showtime simulcast (in stereo) on the FM band.  We also get some out of
town radio stations, as well as great receptions on the locals.  I set my
VCR to simulcast, and record HBO in glorious Super BETA-HiFi.
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

I speak, therefore I disclaim everything I say.
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (03/12/86)

In article <6765@tektronix.UUCP> billk@tektronix.UUCP (Bill Kenworthy) writes:
>In article <354@ihlpf.UUCP>, heneghan@ihlpf.UUCP (Heneghan) writes:
>> 				.
>> > Almost everything that comes out on videocassette will be available on HBO,
>> > etc., within a year.  If you've got cable, you might just want to wait
>> > until they broadcast the movie you want; you'll usually get a better
>> > copy that way.
>> >			Bob Fishell
>Not always.  It depends on the quality of the signal you get on the cable.
>If the cable signal is noisy, if the solid colors (i.e. blue) have little
>black noise dots or whatever - as on my cable system--  then I'd rather stick
>with the VCR.  I also get stereo that way.  HBO is currently not in stereo.
>They don't send it out in stereo from New York.  Currently, only Movie Channel
>has stereo.

Yes, my cable signal looks like it has been through the GI track of a 3
month old baby--several times.  By the time it has gone through umpteen
repeaters, jillions of taps, and 50 miles of aged cable, it looks pretty bad.

>> An alternative would be to find a video rental store that doesn't do a
>> lot of volume, especially if you have a hifi deck and want to tape in
>> hifi.
>> 						Joe Heneghan
>And preferably in Beta Hi-Fi.  Less time base errors.  Particularly noticeable
>on big screens.

Huh?  Why does Beta Hi-Fi have less time base errors?  (I am a Beta fan, but
don't understand.)

--Kne