[net.video] Satellite TV scrambling

abc@brl-smoke.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (03/10/86)

Heard on late-night, antenna-received TV:  "And with every satellite TV
system ordered from BirdView, we'll give you a scrambler absolutely
free!"

I wonder if they really meant that?

--
Brint Cooper

	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
	 UUCP:  ...{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl!abc

roger@teldata.UUCP (Roger Lanphere) (03/17/86)

Some views on personal mail received and recent article postings in
net.video:

>>From: uw-beaver!tektronix!ucbcad!mit-multics.arpa!Lippman
>>Subject:  Re: Satellite scrambling
>>
>>Yeah, I read this too, and responded.  They will not decode the sound.
>>The video is mnot too difficult.  Videocypher II onyl soft\encrypts the
>>picture.
>>
>>--Andy

If you take a GOOD look at the original posting you will notice that I
DID emphasize the fact that the audio encryption was not broken. I sent
this posting only as information to anyone whom might be interested.
I DID NOT and DO NOT claim they (BLACK BOX CORP.) could do ANYTHING.
I stated basic facts gained from reading the article (this is evident if
you took time to have also read it). As for my opinion at the end of the
posting this is still America and I have a RIGHT of free expression
providing it does not interfere with anothers rights (at least until
our government legislates that away too!!!)

>>From: gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis)
>>
>>Unfortunately, sat' movie companies (HBO in particular), and cellular
>>telephone companies have the idea that (instead of scrambling) they
>>can push (or buy) the lawmakers into making receiving equipment illegal.
>>The signals that they claim as their own go through your property (and you)
>>24 hours a day and, like erecting a drive-in in your back yard...
>>
>>I personally don't care about HBO, most of their programming if crap.
>>I DO care about idiot corporate fools trying to make the airwaves
>>ILLEGAL to receive!  Under fire are dishes (microwave), scanners (because
>>of their ability to receive in the cellular telephone bands), and general
>>coverage receivers (because they can pick up cordless phones).
>>There are existing laws about reception for profit and disclosure or
>>rebroadcast.  These older laws are much less hysterical than the laws
>>that are being pushed-for recently.  Unfortunately, companies like HBO
>>tend to be technologically lazy and legally topheavy.
>>--->> Amateur Radio from DC to Blue light! --->>

I too am enflamed about corporations & such trying to force legislation
against the reception of a public commodity - the airwaves. It just shows
what someone with a lot of money can do with another persons rights.
Besides owning a satellite dish I also own shortwave gear and VHF/UHF
scanning equipment. I have long enjoyed listening to this equipment
which has been legal to do for so long now. Now someone wants to take
this right away because they don't want to spend the money to provide
encryption/decryption of their service(s). My response is if it isn't
encrypted then tough sh*t - you deserve what you get if using a public
resource. And until they can control where specifically they spray their
RF energy (and keep it off my property and person) I will do what I
please with it!!!  One of these days your T.V. will probably be outlawed
by the way things are going!!!

Enough flames on an obviously controversial subject!!!

The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer, Teltone
Corp., but damn well are mine (No - it's not just coffee down my keyboard
this time :-) ).
					-- Roger --