[net.video] PAL <--> NTSC videotape transfer

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (03/08/86)

Here's a question for all you TV/video experts out there on the net:

I know that the PAL and NTSC colour television systems are 100.0%
incompatible.  Stemming from this, I understand that video tapes
recorded from an NTSC camera or television can not be viewed on a
VCR hooked up to a PAL television.

Well, I want to make tapes here in Canada (using the NTSC system)
and send them to Europe.  In order to watch them over there, can
I use an NTSC television in Europe, hooked up to a VCR?  Naturally,
you'd switch between PAL and NTSC TV's when you wanted to watch North
American tapes or tape European TV, but anyway...

Will this work?  I'm thinking of taking a VCR and a NTSC colour TV
to Europe from here, but both of these are made to work on 110V,
60 Hz current.  The voltage change to 220V is no problem, but can
I get them to run on 50 Hz?  Would there be any other problems?

Thanks for any help!

\tom haapanen						/ watrose!tohaapanen
university of waterloo			    ..!watmath <-- watmum!tohaapanen
							\ watlion!tohaapanen
I am one in ten, a number on a list
I am one in ten, even though I don't exist
No-body knows me, though I'm always there
A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care           (c) UB40, 1981

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/10/86)

In article <7883@watrose.UUCP> tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>      I want to make tapes here in Canada (using the NTSC system)
>and send them to Europe.  In order to watch them over there, can
>I use an NTSC television in Europe, hooked up to a VCR?  Naturally,
>you'd switch between PAL and NTSC TV's when you wanted to watch North
>American tapes or tape European TV, but anyway...

Only if the VCR is NTSC.

>Will this work?  I'm thinking of taking a VCR and a NTSC colour TV
>to Europe from here, but both of these are made to work on 110V,
>60 Hz current.  The voltage change to 220V is no problem, but can
>I get them to run on 50 Hz?  Would there be any other problems?

Yes, now it will work.  (The first paragraph didn't say the VCR was NTSC)
The 50Hz should not be a problem.  It not used as any kind of timing reference.

When I was stationed in Scotland, one of the people I knew, watched PAL UHF
stuff on his Sony TV.  He could only watch it in B&W and he had to retune the
sound IF section to get the sound.  This will only work in a TV that has UHF
tuning via the old variable tuning knob method and have a vertical hold
control.  So, the NTSC and PAL formats are not that far apart.  You could
actually watch the output of a PAL VCR on a NTSC TV, using the direct video
out to direct TV video in.  It will only be B&W, but it will work.  The sound
is either sent through a stereo system or external audio in on the TV.
The PAL/NTSC scanning system is basically the same, so either TV will normally
lock on the other's sync.

>Thanks for any help!

You're welcome.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (03/18/86)

All right, I have a followup to my original questions (thanx for the answers...)

* I now know I can use a NTSC VCR/NTSC TV combo in Europe, no problems.

* As far as I understand, I can't tape and play PAL on a NTSC VCR.  Is
  this assumption correct?

* Assuming I want to watch NTSC tapes, PAL TV and PAL tapes, I need
  a PAL TV, PAL VCR, NTSC TV and NTSC VCR.

* To eliminnate some of the duplication, I could buy a multi-standard
  TV and/or VCR.

OK, so those are my assumptions.  Several people told me that
multi-mode equipment is available in Europe.  My question is: is it
available in North America?  Here a cheap VCR cost about $400 ($300 US)
and $900 ($650 US) will buy a VHS Hi-Fi deck, while in Finland (where
my parents are moving, hence these questions) a cheap deck might cost
$1000 to $1200 CDN.  So if I could get a multi-standard deck here,
great savings could be effected.  VHS is much preferred due to its
strong predominance in Finland.

Can anyone point me to such multi-standard equipment (TV or VCR)?

\tom haapanen						/ watrose!tohaapanen
university of waterloo			    ..!watmath <-- watmum!tohaapanen
							\ watlion!tohaapanen
I am one in ten, a number on a list
I am one in ten, even though I don't exist
No-body knows me, though I'm always there
A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care           (c) UB40, 1981

OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA (Ole Jorgen Jacobsen) (03/20/86)

No, you cannot "tape [or] play PAL on an NTSC VCR". There is a
*modified* NTSC VHS machine, the "Instant Replay" (cf. MRC) that will
give semi-acceptable *playback only* results with a PAL tape on an
NTSC TV. It is also not at all clear that you can take a NTSC VCR/NTSC
TV to Europe and operate it happily (with a 220/110 transformer), due
to possible interference caused by the difference in power frequency.
(50 Hz Europe vis 60 Hz US). Multi standard VCR's and TV's do not suffer
from this problem as they generate their own synch from scrath and are
immune to mains interference. (This may or may not be the case with made-
for-US equipment, but I wouldn't count on it working perfectly).

So, the crux of it is that you definitely need a multi-std combo, that is
both a VCR and a TV. The Sony setup (Betamax and TV) is $1700 here is the
US. Check out export stores for the VHS equivalent.

Ole

			"En fugl i haanden er bedre en ti paa taket"
-------

Lippman@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (03/21/86)

I see no reason why the difference in power line frequencies would cause
any problems, and I have certainly taken optical videodisc players to
Europe.  Television has not been synchronized to the power line since
the advent of NTSC color in 1953.  In fact, they don't even operate at
60Hz, which is why when you seen hum on the screen, it scrolls up.

However, the standards issue is a definite problem.

-Andy