[net.video] Satellite Signal Scrambling, Cable TV Stereo

WGRCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (Bill Rubin) (03/13/86)

Actually, until a couple of weeks ago, I lived in Queens, NY, and I can
tell you that there are far more than just a couple of satellite dishes
around. It turns out that some of Queens is now getting cable, although
parts of it and the other boroughs may not get it for another few years.

On another topic, stereo on cable TV. I always thought that MTV and VH-1
were sent in MTS Stereo. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting it,
either thru the cable box or directly into my cable-ready TV. A couple
of the other cable stations seem to fade in and out of stereo (mostly out).
Is this likely to be the local cable company, or the individual stations?
The regular TV stations here that broadcast in stereo come in fine, so I
sort of doubt it's the cable company (Cablevision LI).

Thanks,
Bill Rubin

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/18/86)

In article <8603150133.AA19989@seismo.CSS.GOV> WGRCU@CUNYVM.BITNET (Bill Rubin) writes:
>On another topic, stereo on cable TV. I always thought that MTV and VH-1
>were sent in MTS Stereo. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting it,
>either thru the cable box or directly into my cable-ready TV. A couple
>of the other cable stations seem to fade in and out of stereo (mostly out).
>Is this likely to be the local cable company, or the individual stations?
>The regular TV stations here that broadcast in stereo come in fine, so I
>sort of doubt it's the cable company (Cablevision LI).

When MTV first hit the cable air-waves, the stereo was broadcast on the FM
band only.  The only way that the cable company could have MTV was to also
place it on the FM band.  (I am not so sure about what they require now)
VH-1 is also on the FM band, but I don't know if FM Stereo is required by
the cable company.  Anyway, the only way you are going to get MTS is if
your cable company wants to spend the money on MTS encoders for the TV
channel.  It is cheaper to put it on the FM band, in stereo.  Also, the sound
quality is MUCH better on FM than it will ever be on MTS.  Try using a
splitter and send your cable signal to your FM receiver/tuner and listen
to what you get.  You may also find pay services there in stereo.

As far as the other cable services, fading in and out, I am not sure about
that.  Again, the cable company would have to install MTS encoders for those
channels.

Because of the way that some pay services are scrambled, MTS stereo may
never exist for them, but then the cable company should put them up on
the FM band.

Call your cable company and ask what they have on the FM service.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/20/86)

In article <573@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
  Also, the sound
>quality is MUCH better on FM than it will ever be on MTS.  Try using a

Given the usual sloppy audio practices on TV and FM stations, I doubt
that the slight edge in FM MPX frequency response will make much difference.

Because of MTS's DBX compression of the L-R signal, signal to noise ratio
should be as good or better than with FM MPX.

There is a currently observed hum in the MTS difference channel, especially
noticeable during applause on Johnny Carson.  Whether this is a defect in
certain decoders, poor transmitter operation, or something more fundamental,
nobody seems to know at the moment.  I plan to hit the local TV station
chief engineers on this one soon.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/24/86)

In article <312@omen.UUCP> caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>In article <573@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>  Also, the sound
>>quality is MUCH better on FM than it will ever be on MTS.  Try using a
>
>Given the usual sloppy audio practices on TV and FM stations, I doubt
>that the slight edge in FM MPX frequency response will make much difference.
>
>Because of MTS's DBX compression of the L-R signal, signal to noise ratio
>should be as good or better than with FM MPX.
>
>There is a currently observed hum in the MTS difference channel, especially
>noticeable during applause on Johnny Carson.  Whether this is a defect in
>certain decoders, poor transmitter operation, or something more fundamental,
>nobody seems to know at the moment.  I plan to hit the local TV station
>chief engineers on this one soon.

Since I listen to both NBC and CBS in MTS stereo and MTV and VH-1 in FM stereo,
I can say that MTS stereo sucks, compared to FM stereo.  There are problems
with MTS sound.  One of the main problems (my opinion, mind you) is that the
sound is transmitted with the video.  TOO much video noise gets through.

FM sound would be an improvement under the following conditions:

	1. The cable company receives the sound directly from the tv station
	2. Wide-band FM modulation is used from the tv station to the cable
	   company.

If the cable company receives the sound via off-air MTS decoder, then the FM
sound will not be improved.  Our local cable company is working with the
local NBC station to provide direct left and right audio to the head-end.
The MTS encoding will then take place at the head end.  Hopefully they will
then provide FM stereo of the station (mono sound is provided now.)