[net.video] Satellite signal scrambling with commercials

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (03/25/86)

-- who knows what a line eater is, not me --

I was just listening to CNN (a basic service of the cable for
which I pay) and they announced that as of May 15, 1986, they
will be scrambling.  This raises my fur (although I am not a
dish owner) since they have lots and lots of commercials.  I
hate to have to pay for the privlege of seeing commercials!
Am I alone?  Are there alternatives?  Since they are subsidized
by the advertisers (the way standard commercial TV is) are there
any FCC regulations preventing them from scrambling?  (Coming
from a satellite is no different than coming from a tower.)

-- Glenn Tenney
UUCP: {hplabs,glacier,lll-crg,ihnp4!ptsfa}!well!tenney
ARPA: well!tenney@LLL-CRG.ARPA        Delphi and MCI Mail: TENNEY
As Alphonso Bodoya would say... (tnx boulton)
Disclaimers? DISCLAIMERS!? I don' gotta show you no stinking DISCLAIMERS!

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (03/28/86)

In article <840@well.UUCP> tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:
>I was just listening to CNN (a basic service of the cable for
>which I pay) and they announced that as of May 15, 1986, they
>will be scrambling.  This raises my fur (although I am not a
>dish owner) since they have lots and lots of commercials.  I
>hate to have to pay for the privlege of seeing commercials!
>Am I alone?  Are there alternatives?  Since they are subsidized
Have you gone to a movie theater lately? Every time I go out to
a movie I am treated to 5 to 10 minutes of commercials that I paid
for before the feature. Solution: arrive late. CNN solution: I'm
going to grit my teeth and buy a MACOM CIPHER-II for my cable
system from the MACOM MONOPOLY.

--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.