[net.video] CNN scrambling

osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) (03/26/86)

I get CNN as part of my basic cable package, and wwatch it often. If they
scramble their signal, does this mean I won't be able to get it? Are they
"going pay" or what?

Ron Morgan
osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP

brown@nicmad.UUCP (03/27/86)

In article <3111@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>I get CNN as part of my basic cable package, and wwatch it often. If they
>scramble their signal, does this mean I won't be able to get it? Are they
>"going pay" or what?

All of us cable viewers will not be affected.  The cable companies will be
getting the descramblers, since they already pay the signal suppliers.
The scrambling will only affect home dish owners.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (03/28/86)

In article <3111@ut-ngp.UUCP> osmigo1@ut-ngp.UUCP (Ron Morgan) writes:
>I get CNN as part of my basic cable package, and wwatch it often. If they
>scramble their signal, does this mean I won't be able to get it? Are they
>"going pay" or what?
I believe that CNN is already a pay service (the cable operator pays for it).
The fact that it is part of your basic package does not mean it is free to
the operator (unless he is stealing it because it is not scrambled!).
What will most likely happen is that your cable operator will pay a few hundred
bucks for an unscrambler and you will never know the difference.

--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.