[net.video] need interconnect cable recommendations...

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (07/15/86)

[ net.video added to newsgroups line ]

In article <1225@uwmcsd1.UUCP> shop@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Thomas Krueger) writes:
>>   Not only is
>> it a bitch to work with, even in video applications, but the aluminum-shielded
>> stuff is impossible to solder (read: BAD CONNECTION).  Finally, all RG-59
>> has a solid core, which, if you're concerned about skin effect, is decidedly
>> not the thing to use as an interconnect.

Agreed that aluminum is major grief to solder, even with the special
aluminum solder.  Crimp-on type connectors seem to work ok.

> Belden makes an RG-59/U with copper 22 guage (7X30) center conductor and
> 95% coverage copper shielding for CCTV applications... the number is
> 9259, the attenuation (from the book) is 2.1 dB per foot at 50 MHz.
> Nominal impedance is 75 ohms.

TRUE audio/video-philes will settle for nothing less than 100% shielding.

Those with money burning holes in their pockets are reminded that
silver is the best conductor.

Snoopy
tektronix!doghouse.GWD!snoopy

ron@brl-sem.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <2158@hammer.UUCP>, seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
> TRUE audio/video-philes will settle for nothing less than 100% shielding.

Note, that Beldon also makes the Belfoil shielded cable which does provide
100% shielding and is relatively inexpensive.  We used to use the stuff
all over the place when hooking up the radio station.  Unfortunately, for
cables that are moved alot, and coiled and uncoiled, the stuff is less
than optimal because it kinks and the outer insulation is kind of cheap.
We used wire with less optimal shielding in that application.

-Ron

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (07/19/86)

In article <351@brl-sem.ARPA> ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>In article <2158@hammer.UUCP>, seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) writes:
>> TRUE audio/video-philes will settle for nothing less than 100% shielding.
>
>Note, that Beldon also makes the Belfoil shielded cable which does provide
>100% shielding and is relatively inexpensive.

Alpha Wire also makes a competitive foil-shielded wire. You can get it
with polyethylene insulation, which will yield one-half the capacitance
per foot than PVC.

--
David Hsu  (301) 454-1433 || -8798	"It was Dave, not me..honest!" -eneevax
Communication & Signal Processing Lab / Engineering Computer Facility

"Who cometh to the bridge of death must answer me these questions three,
 'ere the other side he see....aiggggh!"