[net.video] Need RGB to composite signal chip recomendation

mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) (07/28/86)

hi.

Can anyone out there recommend a single chip that will magically
transform RGB and sync signals into a quality color composite
signal without an incredible amount of support circuitry?  The
research I've done has revealed a lot of old and
unavaliable chips but there must be something both new and avaliable.
Any suggestions?  Motorola?  National?

--

                                                                  \
                                                                  |\
Mark Tilden                                                       | \
                    --- ----  -----   ------    -------           |  \
--------------------| | |  |  |   |   |    |    |     |           |   -(glitch!)
                      ---  ----   -----    ------      \          |
Hardware Design Lab. M.F.C.F                            \         |
University of Waterloo.                                  \        |
Canada, N2L-3G1                                           \       |
                                                           \      |
work: (519)-885-1211 ext.2457, home: 888-7111               \     |
--------------------------------------------------------     \    |
UUCP: ..!{utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!watmath!mwtilden |      \   |
ARPA: mwtilden%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa |       \  |
CSNET: mwtilden%watmath@waterloo.CSNET                 |        \ |
--------------------------------------------------------         \|
(so send me mail, why don'cha?)                                   \

"MY OPINIONS, YOU HEAR!? MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

dick@portal.UUcp (Dick Wotiz) (08/01/86)

I believe Motorola makes the MC1377 for direct RGB to NTSC conversion.
It only needs about a dozen other parts for a complete converter.
I don't know how available it is, the product preview is dated 1982,
so it's probably not obsolete quite yet.

The chip is only $2-3 in small quantities, which seems quite low
given its capabilities.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

                                    Dick Wotiz

                 <sun,atari> ! portal ! dick

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (08/03/86)

In article <406@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>Can anyone out there recommend a single chip that will magically
>transform RGB and sync signals into a quality color composite
>signal without an incredible amount of support circuitry?
>-- Mark Tilden

Please oh Please mail any information to me too!!  We have been doing research
in this exact area, and are not getting very far!  When you mail info, please
carbon copy to the following four people:

	...!ihnp4!pur-ee!ecn-pc!sandersr		(me)
	...!ihnp4!pur-ee!sgh				(Scott G. Hall)
	...!ihnp4!pur-ee!ecn-pc!light			(Richard Light)
	...!ihnp4!pur-ee!ecn-pc!swain			(Phil Swain)

And interpolate the above message in its entirety -- they all don't know
about this posting, and all of them get more than 50 messages a day.

--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!	-- bob
(and "make" a few children while we're at it ...)

In article <406@watmath.UUCP> (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:

>Can anyone out there recommend a single chip that will magically
>transform RGB and sync signals into a quality color composite
>signal without an incredible amount of support circuitry?

As has been previsously mentioned the Motorola MC1377 is probably the most
available chip for this purpose.  It does require a moderate amount of support
circuitry, but that's life in the analog universe.  The worst problem is that
you need a small analog 'delay-line' that is not readily available at the
retail level...

--
George Robbins - now working with,      uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing      arpa: cbmvax!grr@seismo.css.GOV

elg@usl.UUCP (Eric Lee Green) (08/12/86)

In article <406@watmath.UUCP> mwtilden@watmath.UUCP (M.W. Tilden, Hardware) writes:
>hi.
>
>Can anyone out there recommend a single chip that will magically
>transform RGB and sync signals into a quality color composite
>signal without an incredible amount of support circuitry?  The

I have a similiar problem. I have a popular computer produced by Toy
Computer Inc., which produces an RGB 80 column signal, and a
non-standard monochrome signal at higher-than-NTSC scan rate. I only
have a monochrome composite monitor. Twould be nice for the twain to
meet... the RGB signal sounds like a perfect source to mix and stir a
composite signal for my monitor to eat.
--
-- Computing from the Bayous, --
      Eric Green {akgua,ut-sally}!usl!elg