[net.video] NEC Multisync monitor

jim@umcp-cs.UUCP (Jim Williams) (10/24/86)

	I would like to get a NEC Multisync monitor for use
on a PC clone for color graphics.  I would also like to use
it as a monitor for my VCR.  What I want to know is if anyone
out there in netland has done this, and what opinion they
have of the NEC as a general purpose color monitor, as opposed
to a computer-only monitor.  Is there any reason why it would
not make a good VCR monitor?

	Thanks in advance!

--
Jim \/\/illiams
jim@mimsy.umd.edu

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (10/27/86)

In article <3995@umcp-cs.UUCP> jim@umcp-cs.UUCP (Jim Williams) writes:

>	I would like to get a NEC Multisync monitor for use
>on a PC clone for color graphics.  I would also like to use
>it as a monitor for my VCR.  What I want to know is if anyone
>out there in netland has done this, and what opinion they
>have of the NEC as a general purpose color monitor, as opposed
>to a computer-only monitor.  Is there any reason why it would
>not make a good VCR monitor?

I have a NEC Multisync, two VCRs, a NEC broadcast/cable TV tuner, video
disc, etc..  Previous postings by others to the contrary, the Multisync
is NOT a general purpose monitor.  It is a very good high frequency RGB
monitor, and it can sync on a wide variety of different RGB sources, but
it doesn't have a composite input, and can't be connected to any of the
consumer video junk I've got.  Unless you have a video selector with a
sync separator (is there such a thing?), or your VCR has RGB outputs,
you should probably consider other alternatives.  Sorry to rain on your
parade - I wish I could use the damn thing for video; if anyone out there
knows of a way to accomplish this, please let me know.

Regards,

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      seismo!{sundc|hadron}!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180

rdr@inuxh.UUCP (Robert Rindfuss) (10/28/86)

> 	I would like to get a NEC Multisync monitor for use
> on a PC clone for color graphics.  I would also like to use
> it as a monitor for my VCR.  What I want to know is if anyone
> out there in netland has done this, and what opinion they
> have of the NEC as a general purpose color monitor, as opposed
> to a computer-only monitor.  Is there any reason why it would
> not make a good VCR monitor?

Unless your VCR has RGB outputs, it won't work.  The Multisync does
not have a composite video input.  It does make a fine monitor for
your PC, though.

Bob Rindfuss
AT&T GSL
...ihnp4!inuxh!rdr

kenneth@ukecc.UUCP (Kenneth Herron) (10/30/86)

Um, the commodore Amiga monitor can handle analog/digital RGB as well
as composite video (also chroma-luma, what the c64 puts out).
At least my SO's does (I'm too poor :-( )

Ken the H