[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives] where to get ibm programs

ginsburg@cme.nist.gov (Dylan Ginsburg) (06/29/91)

Please excuse my ignorance for all questions I may ask.

I have been reading this group for the past couple of days, and
apparently there are places where IBM binaries are located, via FTP. I
did not know this. I just got my modem at home, and have been
attempting to download stuff from local BBS's. But most have such
limited access times that I don't have time to download anything
significant.

If there are locations where large amounts of IBM binaries are
located, could someone please tell me where. Also, what will I need to
get them. I also have no idea how to use FTP, so if any kind sole would
mail me a brief tutorial, I would be most appreciative.

When I get the binaries, is there anything that needs to be done to
them? Are they simply pkzip'ed, as on the BBS's?

Thanks in advance to any who respond.

If this group has a FAQ list, that might answer my questions.

-Dylan

miracle@sctc.com (Barry Miracle) (06/29/91)

ginsburg@cme.nist.gov (Dylan Ginsburg) writes:

>Please excuse my ignorance for all questions I may ask.

>I have been reading this group for the past couple of days, and
>apparently there are places where IBM binaries are located, via FTP. I
>did not know this. I just got my modem at home, and have been
>attempting to download stuff from local BBS's. But most have such
>limited access times that I don't have time to download anything
>significant.

>If there are locations where large amounts of IBM binaries are
>located, could someone please tell me where. Also, what will I need to
>get them. I also have no idea how to use FTP, so if any kind sole would
>mail me a brief tutorial, I would be most appreciative.

>When I get the binaries, is there anything that needs to be done to
>them? Are they simply pkzip'ed, as on the BBS's?

>Thanks in advance to any who respond.

>If this group has a FAQ list, that might answer my questions.

>-Dylan

I am also interested in locating IBM PC software repositories.

Barry

miracle@sctc.com

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/29/91)

In article <GINSBURG.91Jun28130552@rio.cme.nist.gov> ginsburg@cme.nist.gov (Dylan Ginsburg) writes:

>Please excuse my ignorance for all questions I may ask.

No problem.  This is partly what this group is for.  Ask away.

>I have been reading this group for the past couple of days, and
>apparently there are places where IBM binaries are located, via FTP. I
>did not know this. I just got my modem at home, and have been
>attempting to download stuff from local BBS's. But most have such
>limited access times that I don't have time to download anything
>significant.
>
>If there are locations where large amounts of IBM binaries are
>located, could someone please tell me where. Also, what will I need to
>get them. I also have no idea how to use FTP, so if any kind sole would
>mail me a brief tutorial, I would be most appreciative.

You will find the most important locations listed in
/pc/pd2/moder.lst list that is available by anonymous ftp from
garbo.uwasa.fi archives.  As how to get it, and how to get to and
use anonymous FTP archives in general, you should send email to me
asking for prerecorded garbo.uwasa.fi, Vaasa, Finland, instructions,
and Keith Petersen (w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL) for the
information on SIMTEL20 archives.

>When I get the binaries, is there anything that needs to be done to
>them? Are they simply pkzip'ed, as on the BBS's?

You'll find the information in my prerecorded instructions.  (But
yes, most of the files are pkzipped).

>Thanks in advance to any who respond.
>
>If this group has a FAQ list, that might answer my questions.

When you have learned to use anonymous FTP you should get the
/pc/ts/tsfaq21.arc Frequently Asked Questions collection.  It is
available on garbo.uwasa.fi, SIMTEL20, and their mirrors.

>-Dylan

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37