[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.archives] Changing Directories on Simtel20

ffujita@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Frank Fujita) (06/30/91)

I'm familiar with changing directories via ftp on unix systems.
However the SIMTEL20 systems seems to use a different system.
Could someone enlighten my ignorance?
Frank Fujita

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (06/30/91)

ffujita@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Frank Fujita) writes:
>I'm familiar with changing directories via ftp on unix systems.
>However the SIMTEL20 systems seems to use a different system.
>Could someone enlighten my ignorance?

SIMTEL20's directory structure is similar to MS-DOS.

SIMTEL20:   PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>
MSDOS:        C:\MSDOS\FILEDOCS

ftp> cd pd1:<msdos.filedocs>

If the angle brackets cause trouble with your FTP program you can use
square brackets.

ftp> cd pd1:[msdos.filedocs]

The PD1: is the disk drive.  The first name inside the brackets is the
name of the top-level directory.  The second name inside the brackets
is the name of the subdirectory.

Once you have done a cd to the PD1: device you may omit it from all
further commands.

ftp> cd <msdos.modem>

Some FTP users who are used to Unix may attempt to "cd .." to drop
down one level in the directory tree.  That doesn't work on SIMTEL20.

You can save yourself a lot of typing if you cd to the directory where
the files you want are located.  You can then type just the filename
instead of the whole path.

ftp> cd pd1:<msdos.filedocs>
ftp> get aaaread.me
ftp> type binary
ftp> get simlist.arc
ftp> bye

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the MSDOS, MISC and CP/M archives at SIMTEL20 [192.88.110.20]

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun30.030733.28412@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> ffujita@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Frank Fujita) writes:

>I'm familiar with changing directories via ftp on unix systems.
>However the SIMTEL20 systems seems to use a different system.
>Could someone enlighten my ignorance?

Here is an example of a batchftp automated FTP command file which
shows some of the commands including a change of a SIMTEL20
directory.  First the binary (in this case =tenex) mode is set, then
I change my local directory to where I wanted the download to go.
Next I change the SIMTEL20 directory, and then get the file I want.

{
binary
lcd /home2/econ/ts/valitys2
cd pd1:<msdos.telix>