[news.software.readers] Future of USENET

flee@cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (06/28/91)

We're currently at 20M of news a day in 1200 newsgroups.  Three years
ago it was 4M/day and 400 newsgroups.

I'd like to propose 1G/day and 100 000 newsgroups as a target for
normal operation in some future news system.  Start designing now.

1G/day is volume of news generated by posters everywhere, not
necessarily volume of news exchanged between two sites.

100 000 newsgroups is a rough measure of breadth.  Perhaps newsgroups
will be replaced by something better.

I just want to inject some real numbers in the fuzzy handwaving of
"doing this will help us cope with greater news volume".
--
Felix Lee	flee@cs.psu.edu

spike@coke.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (06/28/91)

In article <21eHwfd$@cs.psu.edu> flee@cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:

<We're currently at 20M of news a day in 1200 newsgroups.  Three years
>ago it was 4M/day and 400 newsgroups.

	And there are more than twice that number of newsgroups
available.

->Spike

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (06/28/91)

In article <21eHwfd$@cs.psu.edu> flee@cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) writes:
>We're currently at 20M of news a day in 1200 newsgroups.  Three years
>ago it was 4M/day and 400 newsgroups.
>
>I'd like to propose 1G/day and 100 000 newsgroups as a target for
>normal operation in some future news system.  Start designing now.

Hmm.. part of the design has to be a fat enough wire leading
to my home.  A quick calculation

	| 1 - boomer:david --> bc
	scale=3
	1000000000/24
	41666666.666
	./60
	694444.444
	./60
	11574.074

Says the wire will need to handle over 100Kbits-per-second all
day long.  Hmm.. up til now my TB+ seemed pretty capable of
the job.  Sigh.. if only I were Rob Pike AT&T would be willing
to pay for T1 lines to the house, ohwell. ;-)

ISDN doesn't cut it -- it's only 56Kbaud.

But then it will require 6 doublings of traffic.  In the
past each doubling has required 18 months, up until the
a.s.pictures nonsense hit us.  Reaching 1G/day should then
take somewhere between 3 and 10 years, depending on whether
the volume curve is really increasing.

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<-