[net.rec.birds] What speices of african greys don't talk well?

ma155abl@sdcc7.UUCP (Nick Flor) (12/08/84)

I heard that there was a speicies of African greys that didn' talk
that well, and that petstores were trying to pass out as ones that
do (erasthicus).
What is the name of the speicies that doesn't talk that well?

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (12/18/84)

In article <1335@sdcc7.UUCP> ma155abl@sdcc7.UUCP (Nick Flor) writes:
>I heard that there was a speicies of African greys that didn' talk
>that well, and that petstores were trying to pass out as ones that
>do (erasthicus).

I know of two varieties of African Greys - "Congo" and "Timneh".  Congo
Greys are what is normally called an "African Grey" - they're larger
then the Timneh Greys, and have a bright red tail.  I have a Timneh Grey
(costs about 1/3 - 1/2 the price of a Congo Grey), and he talks just
fine (too well, sometimes).  And I know that Congo Greys can talk up a
storm, so I don't know if your question has an answer.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)