[comp.human-factors] Progress/busy indicators

montnaro@spyder.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.215523.7379@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:

   Sort	("riffle-riffle" - paper shuffling, only for as long as
	   sorting takes.  Obviously, there are a LOT of possibilities
	   for cpu-bound tasks, since the user is probably bored to death
	   waiting anyway...)

That reminds me of the old Three Rivers Perqs. When they were busy, the
cursor would change into a bee and fly around the screen. Of course, in a
multiprocessing environment grabbing the cursor would get annoying if you
had other things to do.

If I remember correctly, Perqs also had progress meters that indicated the
relative amount of work completed. (Didn't one or more of the Xerox
workstations also?)

--
Skip (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

sanjay@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Sanjay Keshava) (06/14/91)

In article <MONTNARO.91Jun13103549@spyder.crd.ge.com> montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) writes:
> In article <1991Jun12.215523.7379@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>
> If I remember correctly, Perqs also had progress meters that indicated the
> relative amount of work completed. (Didn't one or more of the Xerox
> workstations also?)
>
> --
> Skip (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

I've used several of the Xerox workstations but don't remember seeing
any one displaying the relative amount of work completed.  Mainly,
because, the OS usually doesn't know how much work needs to be done.
Only the application does.  Here's what I remember seeing:

Alto - coffe cup appears when mail is being retrieved
     - hourglass with shifting sand appears when cpu is busy
     - toggling checkered flag during ftp

Now, the Alto I used didn't do multi-tasking.

The Dandelion (8010) and Daybreak (6085) running either the Xerox
Development Environment or STAR or ViewPoint had other indicators
which were similar, but these were multi-tasking machines, so the cpu
couldn't be monopolized (usually).

One hack I liked was the cpu/disk usage indicator.  It displayed a bar
graph similar to audio peak level meters, showing how busy the cpu was
with applications.

--

Sanjay Keshava   Student in the UT Austin Graduate School of Business
    ->|<-        Class of July 1991, Information Systems & Finance