[comp.human-factors] Track ball on a keyboard?

<CJS@psuvm.psu.edu> (06/12/91)

I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
They are now readily available as mice replacements.

But I would like to see keyboards with track balls built-in.  I'll bet
there are some now or rsn.  Comments?

It seems to me that it would be nice to reach the ball without moving
your fingers from the home row of the keyboard (unlike most cursor keys
and function keys).  I wonder how a location right below the space bar,
reachable by either thumb, would work.  Comments?
----
Christopher J. Sacksteder, Lead System Developer
THE Pennsylvania State University, Center for Academic Computing
Bitnet: CJS at PSUVM     Internet: cjs@psuvm.psu.edu
USnail: 105 Computer Building, University Park, PA  16802

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (06/12/91)

CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
>They are now readily available as mice replacements.

>But I would like to see keyboards with track balls built-in.  I'll bet
>there are some now or rsn.  Comments?

>It seems to me that it would be nice to reach the ball without moving
>your fingers from the home row of the keyboard (unlike most cursor keys
>and function keys).  I wonder how a location right below the space bar,
>reachable by either thumb, would work.  Comments?

This is what the 3rd party Mac portable (the Outbounder?) uses.
It's a bar that sits just below that space bar with a button
on each side.  Haven't heard raves about it but anything new would
take some getting used to.

--
-
Sue Klefstad    Ill. Natural History Survey    s-klefstad@uiuc.edu

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.142307.210@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>  This is what the 3rd party Mac portable (the Outbounder?) uses.
>  It's a bar that sits just below that space bar with a button
>  on each side.  Haven't heard raves about it but anything new would
>  take some getting used to.

	I saw a drawing of a new Mac portable in Mac Week, and guess what?
	It had a small trackball centered just below the keyboard's
	spacebar.  Look like it could be more convenient to use than a
	mouse.

	=Mike

--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142

spinner@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bevan R S Wang) (06/12/91)

CJS> I understand that users of track balls find them superior to
CJS> mice.  They are now readily available as mice replacements.

	Gads, track balls superior!  I for one find track balls not
	as accurate as to a mouse.  Also there seems to be less
	"fluid-motion" in a track ball rather than a mouse.

	Bevan Wang
Bevan R.S. Wang
Internet: spinner@wpi.wpi.edu
America Online: Bevan Wang

dmorin@wpi.WPI.EDU (Duane D Morin) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun12.142307.210@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>
>>I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
>>They are now readily available as mice replacements.
>
>>But I would like to see keyboards with track balls built-in.  I'll bet
>>there are some now or rsn.  Comments?
>
>>It seems to me that it would be nice to reach the ball without moving
>>your fingers from the home row of the keyboard (unlike most cursor keys
>>and function keys).  I wonder how a location right below the space bar,
>>reachable by either thumb, would work.  Comments?

As a user of a trackball (more specifically, a "thumb ball") I have to agree
with an earlier post that says they're not as accurate or as fluid as a
mouse.  Then again, my use of the ball is limited to rare occasions when I
forget a function key sequence in Wordperfect, or whatever.  In cases like
that, I can take the time to line up my cursor where I want it to be, since
Im only dealing in text modes.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone doing anything
remotely graphic, like CAD.  Although I've heard that it can be used rather
well in a Windows 3.0 environment.

I've seen keyboards with trackballs built in, but, as you point out, they are
little more than extensions to the right hand side of the keyboard, past the
numeric keypad, making an even longer reach for your hand.  (Well, my track
ball sits on my desk next to my keyboard anyway.  Six of one, half dozen of
another...)

A location right under the spacebar seems feasible, provided that:
	1) Its NOT in a location that can easily be bumped by your hands.
	   Some applications have auto activating windows or menus that
	   simply need to be pointed at to come alive, and a rogue pointer
	   wouldn't be good here.

	2) It should have some sort of design that makes the use of the thumbs
	   comfortable and natural.  Look at the placement of your hands on the
	   keyboard right now.  Move your thumb around a little bit.  Now try
	   and move it, fairly accurately, in each of the four compass
	   directions without getting a cramp or moving the rest of your hand.
	   The joint simply doesn't want to move like that.

Take the idea of having your hands never leave the home row one step further,
 and equip people with a simple headset that they can don while at the
 terminal.  Just look at the screen and move the cursor wherever you want it
 to go.  Unfortunately, this is in direct violation of rule (1) that I just
 listed.  How do you know when to turn it on or off?  A hot key sequence?
 That defeats the purpose, somewhat.  It could be argued that a "keyboardist"
 as opposed to a "typist" can manipulate the function keys just as rapidly
 as a traditional typewriter, and therefore could hit F10 or something without
 much problem.  The technology to do this certainly isn't unrealistic - if
 Nintendo can mass produce such a monster, anyone can.

dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu

bentson@sumax.seattleu.edu (Randy+Cindy Bentson) (06/12/91)

In article <91163.083144CJS@psuvm.psu.edu> CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
>They are now readily available as mice replacements.

Christopher (or whoever wants to enlighten me):
Well, I for one am ignorant but intrigued. I have used both
the cursor arrow/hjkl keys and mice, and am curious
about these track balls. How do they work? Will my experience with
them be the - gosh, how to put this into words? - line by line
(like Etch-a-Sketch) movement or a more subltle flowing movement
that puts you where you want to be "instantly" - like mice do?

The idea of having something on the keyboard is attractive (I
always lose the mouse, or have no reasonable surface to run
it on). What other advantages are there?

Cindy B.

jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) (06/13/91)

From article <1991Jun12.155623.15673@wpi.WPI.EDU>,
by dmorin@wpi.WPI.EDU (Duane D Morin):

> As a user of a trackball (more specifically, a "thumb ball") I have to
> agree with an earlier post that says they're not as accurate or as
> fluid as a mouse.

Proper trackballs are large enough to be worked by the palm of the hand
for coarse motion, and by the fingertips for fine motion.  To work this
way, your ball needs to be about 3 inches in diameter, and it must protrude
at least half-an-inch from the housing.  Given a trackball built like that,
you should expect positioning speed and accuracy better than a mouse once
you get used to it, but no keyboard mounted trackball that I can think of
would meet this requirement, at least not in this age of detatchable
lightweight keyboards.
					Doug Jones
					jones@cs.uiowa.edu

doehr@magellan.den.mmc.com (Brett B. Doehr) (06/13/91)

In article <2909@sumax.seattleu.edu>, bentson@sumax.seattleu.edu (Randy+Cindy Bentson) writes:
|> Christopher (or whoever wants to enlighten me):
|> Well, I for one am ignorant but intrigued. I have used both
|> the cursor arrow/hjkl keys and mice, and am curious
|> about these track balls. How do they work? Will my experience with
|> them be the - gosh, how to put this into words? - line by line
|> (like Etch-a-Sketch) movement or a more subltle flowing movement
|> that puts you where you want to be "instantly" - like mice do?
|>
|> The idea of having something on the keyboard is attractive (I
|> always lose the mouse, or have no reasonable surface to run
|> it on). What other advantages are there?
|>
|> Cindy B.

The advantages seem to be not needing the surface space to move
the mouse and not having to move your hand from the keyboard to
move/use the cursor/pointer.  The disadvantages may be a larger
keyboard to deal with, less precision in moving the cursor/pointer,
and having to shift the hand to click the trackball buttons.  The
concept is (if you have a mechanical mouse as opposed to an optical
one) similar to lifting the mouse up and moving the "mouse ball"
with your fingers to move the cursor.  They are popular with the
portable computer industry and also with space applications like
shuttle and space station.  In zero-gravity, a mouse would float
at the end of its cable, you may accidently click a mouse button
when grabbing it, etc.  A trackball is a ball mounted in the keyboard
by being seated under a hole smaller than the ball's diameter, so it
cannot float free but can be spun with the palm.

Hope all of this helped to enlighten you.  If you still can't
visualize the concept, go to your nearest video arcade.  Many
games now use them 8-).

--Brett.

============================================================|
Brett B. Doehr           Martin Marietta Astronautics Group |
Voice: (303) 977-1504           Internet: doehr@den.mmc.com |
Fax:   (303) 977-1530               America Online: BrettBD |
    "Writing software that only a mother could love..."     |
============================================================|

cohill@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Andrew M. Cohill) (06/13/91)

In article <91163.083144CJS@psuvm.psu.edu> CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
>They are now readily available as mice replacements.

....a self-selecting survey.  Obviously, anyone who has and uses a
trackball thinks that it's better than a mouse.  But there are those of
us who have tried trackballs and found them lacking.

--

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.181324.12617@den.mmc.com> doehr@magellan.den.mmc.com (Brett B. Doehr) writes:
>  They are popular with the
>  portable computer industry and also with space applications like
>  shuttle and space station.  In zero-gravity, a mouse would float
>  at the end of its cable, you may accidently click a mouse button
>  when grabbing it, etc.

	Yeah, you're right.  In zero-gravity, the ball in a mouse would also
	float.  May be an optical mouse with a magnetic base attached to its
	mating steel optical mouse pad would be better.  Hmmm... may be I
	should patent it.  Yeah, that's the ticket!  And I'll call it the
	Mighty-Mouse!

	And for keyboards, how about a tiny magnetic mouse (about the size
	of a finger) attached to a steel pad the size of the numeric keypad.
	The mouse button would be the size of the mouse, but requires firm
	finger pressure to activate.  Hmmm... may be I should patent this
	too, and call it .... Mini-Mouse 8*).

	=Mike

--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142
==  		"Live simply, so that others may simply live."

In article <YEE.91Jun12150700@pmin7.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
> May be an optical mouse with a magnetic base attached to its
>  mating steel optical mouse pad would be better.

	Whoops, What I meant to say was "May be an optical mouse with a
	magnetic base which attached to a steel optical mouse pad would give
	better control."

	=Mike
--

jmccombi@bbn.com (Jon McCombie) (06/13/91)

In article <91163.083144CJS@psuvm.psu.edu> CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> ... [regarding trackballs as pointing devices] ...
>
>It seems to me that it would be nice to reach the ball without moving
>your fingers from the home row of the keyboard (unlike most cursor keys
>and function keys).  I wonder how a location right below the space bar,
>reachable by either thumb, would work.  Comments?

Outbound Systems, Inc. makes a laptop computer which is a "clone" of
the Macintosh (it uses the Apple Macintosh ROMs).  It is commerically
available right now.  The Outbound has a pointing device called an
(made by?) Isopoint.  It is a long narrow bar mounted just below and
parallel to the space bar.  The bar is slid parallel with the space
bar and/or rolled perpendicular to the space bar.  Mouse clicks are
performed by pressing either side of the Isopoint.  The user
manipulates the Isopoint with either or both of her thumbs.  The user
controls Isopoint tracking speed in a manner similar to the software
control for mouse tracking speed (a Macintosh "Control Panel"
setting).

Does it work well?  After spending some time getting used to it, I've
become rather adept with the Isopoint and I like it.  I enjoy being
able to "mouse" around the screen without having to move my hands.
Others do not like it, and in a big way.  It's a matter of taste, I
guess.  All agree that it takes some getting used to.

Jon McCombie

Disclaimers: All opinions are personal opinions of the writer only. I
have no affiliation with Outbound Systems or with Apple, except as a
satisfied customer of both companies.

kanarick@bbn.com (Craig M. Kanarick) (06/13/91)

In article <91163.083144CJS@psuvm.psu.edu> CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
>They are now readily available as mice replacements.
>
>But I would like to see keyboards with track balls built-in.  I'll bet
>there are some now or rsn.  Comments?
>
>It seems to me that it would be nice to reach the ball without moving
>your fingers from the home row of the keyboard (unlike most cursor keys
>and function keys).  I wonder how a location right below the space bar,
>reachable by either thumb, would work.  Comments?

The portable Mac-compatible made by Outbound Systems has exactly this
feature.  It isn't exactly a trackball, it is more like a track-bar.
It is a small, cylindrical tube recessed in a space-bar shaped key.
Rolling the bar moves the cursor up and down, and sliding the bar
to the left or right moves the cursor horizontally.  Pressing the
bar down (and hence, the key in which it is recessed) is like
pressing the mouse button.

I really like this interface.  It only took me about 15 minutes to
really get used to it, and once I was, it was hard to go back
to a regular mouse.  It is amazing how much faster it is to work
with a "mouse" without having to move one of my hands off the
keyboard.

-- cmk

						"Do I love you?  Yes, I
Craig M. Kanarick             			 love you.  All this talking,
kanarick@bbn.com				 talking, is only bravado..."
						 	- The Blue Nile

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/13/91)

In article <YEE.91Jun12150700@pmin7.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.181324.12617@den.mmc.com> doehr@magellan.den.mmc.com (Brett B. Doehr) writes:
>>  They are popular with the
>>  portable computer industry and also with space applications like
>>  shuttle and space station.  In zero-gravity, a mouse would float
>>  at the end of its cable, you may accidently click a mouse button
>>  when grabbing it, etc.
>
>	Yeah, you're right.  In zero-gravity, the ball in a mouse would also
>	float.

Why?  It seems to me that the entire mouse would float, not the ball by itself.
Of course, that would not be a problem if you were using it.  The pressure from
one's hand would force the mouse against the mouse pad.  The real problem is
that the astronaut would have to be strapped in, etc.

It seems to me that a mouse is inappropriate in space, in an airplane, etc.

Keynoards, voice inputs, touch screens, joysticks, and even pens are more
appropriate.  A usable mouse and trackball COULD probably be made, if one
NEEDED them for something.  The advantage of voice input, of course, is that
with no hands operation, the operator need not be strapped in, or even next to
the machine.  With voice I/O, one could make a micro-sized computer.  The
screen and keyboard could be eliminted for many applications.  Ever notice that
the calculator watches were larger than the other watches...even so, the keys
were to small!  Eliminate the keyboard and the display, and the entire watch
could be as small as the microphone and speaker!  BTW, the speaker might be
bigger than the display for some devices, such as watches.

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

edelheit@smiley.uucp (Jeff Edelheit) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.142307.210@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>
>This is what the 3rd party Mac portable (the Outbounder?) uses.
>It's a bar that sits just below that space bar with a button
>on each side.  Haven't heard raves about it but anything new would
>take some getting used to.

I have tried the isobar on the Outbound.  It's is also on a new MS-DOS
notebook computer (but I can't remember which one.)  I don't like the
isobar.  It doesn't track as well as the mouse or the trackball.
(BTW, the Outbound offers a mouse as an option).

I personally prefer the trackball, but am not sure I'd want it
attached to the keyboard.

Jeff

edelheit@smiley.uucp (Jeff Edelheit) (06/13/91)

In article <2909@sumax.seattleu.edu> bentson@sumax.seattleu.edu (Randy+Cindy Bentson) writes:

>Christopher (or whoever wants to enlighten me):
>Well, I for one am ignorant but intrigued. I have used both
>the cursor arrow/hjkl keys and mice, and am curious
>about these track balls. How do they work? Will my experience with
>them be the - gosh, how to put this into words? - line by line
>(like Etch-a-Sketch) movement or a more subltle flowing movement
>that puts you where you want to be "instantly" - like mice do?
>
>The idea of having something on the keyboard is attractive (I
>always lose the mouse, or have no reasonable surface to run
>it on). What other advantages are there?
>
>Cindy B.

The advantage to the trackball is that you don't keep moving your hand
all over your desk, having to pick up the mouse from the mousepad when
you gone to the end of the pad, but still need to go further, you
don't need to have a mouse pad, etc.  I think that the Microspeed ball is
a really nice design; it has a big ball and a large palm rest area.
It's available for PCs and Macs.

Jeff

bmo1@Isis.MsState.Edu (CrayDeath) (06/13/91)

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) writes:

>In article <YEE.91Jun12150700@pmin7.osf.org> yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>>	Yeah, you're right.  In zero-gravity, the ball in a mouse would also
>>	float.

>Why?  It seems to me that the entire mouse would float, not the ball by itself.
>Of course, that would not be a problem if you were using it.  The pressure from
>one's hand would force the mouse against the mouse pad.

Remember that the mouse ball is smaller than the cavity, and would float around
within the cavity, and therefore not necessarily make good contact with the
mouse pad, roller sensors, etc.  The mouse I have on my desk (a standard Apple
Mac mouse) would not work well in a zero-G environment, as I can demonstrate
by turning it upside-down.  First, the ball drops down completely within the
case, so that the bottom (or, now, top) of the muse ball is lower than the
bottom (at leat when it's right-side-up) surface of the mouse.  Therefore, when
the ball is in this position relative to the cavity, it would make no contact
with the pad.  Also, the ball is now resting against some part of the cavity
so that it can't roll like a trak-ball.  Of course, these flaws could be
corrected for a zero-G mouse, but they would DEFINITELY need to be considered.

Also, you have the problem with what the mouse is going to do while you let go
to work at the keyboard.  With gravity, the mouse stays right where it's
supposed to and leaves the pointer alone.  In zero-G, the mouse might decide
to do some exploring on its own, moving the pointer, and possibly floating
somewhere out of reach.
--
CrayDeath                     | "The Crystal Wind is the Storm, and the Storm
mka Brennan M. O'Keefe        |  is the Data, and the Data is Life."

In article <bmo1.676762027@Isis.MsState.Edu> bmo1@Isis.MsState.Edu (CrayDeath) writes:
> Also, you have the problem with what the mouse is going to do while you let go
> to work at the keyboard.  With gravity, the mouse stays right where it's
> supposed to and leaves the pointer alone.  In zero-G, the mouse might decide
> to do some exploring on its own, moving the pointer, and possibly floating
> somewhere out of reach.

	A mechanical mouse would have all of those problems in zero-G, but an
	optical mouse would not.  There are no mouse balls to float around,
	and with the help of some magnets, the mouse would stay put (i.e.
	won't go wandering off 'exploring on its own').

	=Mike

--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142
==  		"Live simply, so that others may simply live."

ariel@mom.intel.com (Ariel Shattan) (06/13/91)

Doug Jones lists the proper size for a trackball to accomplish
fluid motion.

I've used both track balls and mice, and I've discovered that track
balls are very good for positioning, but bad for selecting.  I think
this is because my hands are small, so that the relationship between
my hand motion and the track ball carries my hand relatively farther
from the select button.  The track ball I used had select buttons
on both sides: one to click, and one to click and hold, but it
wasn't that easy to remember which button I needed, and clicking
and holding the click button (while trying to move the track ball)
was really hard for my poor little hand.

I've also tried briefly the isopointer on Outbound's Mac portable
(mentioned by Sue <mfplgrgl>). I like the location of this pointer:
right under the space bar.  It's easy to click.  But, it definitely
leads to an "Etch-a-Sketch" sort of straight line behavior, especially
when you're trying to click, hold, and move with one thumb all at the
same time.

I guess my preference is still arrow/hjkl keys for small motions
while typing a document (yes, they're tedious, but they're precise),
and mouse for large movements within a text document, and for
graphics.  When I encounter an application that lets me combine
text and graphics without this silly "pick the tool" interface,
then I'll worry more about getting a good pointer for both uses.

--Ariel Shattan
  ariel@littlei.intel.com

delise@mikado.dfe.dec.com (Chris DeLise) (06/13/91)

I've had a chance to use the portable Mac trackball - It is placed
in a convenient location on the keyboard, and it does work well,
but I believe the problem is that the ball is physically too small
and it is therefore a greater effort to accurately position the
cursor. The large trackballs I've seen attached to a Mac allow the
palm of the hand to rest atop the ball, whereas this one tends to
be controlled by a couple of fingers. It requires an unusual form
of dexterity, much like that needed for finger painting. Although
there it requires no less wrist/arm movement than a mouse, I much
prefer the larger, standalone trackball to the small keyboard one.

Does it belong here, or is there somewhere a newsgroup which already
discusses the physiological effects of mice vs. trackballs, including
posture and neurological complication such as CTS?

shirley@washington.jsc.nasa.gov (Bill Shirley) (06/13/91)

In article <YEE.91Jun12150700@pmin7.osf.org>, yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun12.181324.12617@den.mmc.com> doehr@magellan.den.mmc.com (Brett B. Doehr) writes:
|> >  They are popular with the
|> >  portable computer industry and also with space applications like
|> >  shuttle and space station.  In zero-gravity, a mouse would float
|> >  at the end of its cable, you may accidently click a mouse button
|> >  when grabbing it, etc.
|>
|> 	Yeah, you're right.  In zero-gravity, the ball in a mouse would also
|> 	float.

It would not be hard tension the ball not to float (most already are, the
"little rollers" touching the ball are on springs.)  Just make the springs
a little stronger.

|>              May be an optical mouse with a magnetic base attached to its
|> 	mating steel optical mouse pad would be better.  Hmmm... may be I
|> 	should patent it.

Not to much of a joke in this pathetic day and age.  But be quiet about it,
get the pattent, wait around for 10 years 'till everyone's doin' it (it's
common sense right, how else would ya do it), get a damn good lawyar (oxymoron?)
who'll work on comission, bleed the corporates for all they got!

But really, if magnets make me jitter.  If you can assure there'll be no
loose magnetic media in zero-g (either no floppy drive or an optical) then
I'd feel a bit more secure.

|>                          Yeah, that's the ticket!  And I'll call it the
|> 	Mighty-Mouse!
|>
|> 	And for keyboards, how about a tiny magnetic mouse (about the size
|> 	of a finger) attached to a steel pad the size of the numeric keypad.
|> 	The mouse button would be the size of the mouse, but requires firm
|> 	finger pressure to activate.  Hmmm... may be I should patent this
|> 	too, and call it .... Mini-Mouse 8*).

twice the $$$

|> 	=Mike
|>
|> --
|> ==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
|> ==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142
|> ==  		"Live simply, so that others may simply live."

--
     ____      ____      ____			Bill Shirley
    / ___|    / ___|    / ___|			bill@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov
   |_|omputer|_|ciences|_|orporation		_______________________________
    _             _     _			Opinions expressed are obtained|
   | |___     ___| |   | |___			by a room full of immortal apes|
    \____|   |____/     \____|			with unbreakable typewriters.  |
  						~~~~~~~~~~~DISCLAIMER~~~~~~~~~~~

flowers@osf.org (Ken Flowers) (06/13/91)

In article <YEE.91Jun12181122@pmin7.osf.org>, yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) writes:

|> In article <bmo1.676762027@Isis.MsState.Edu> bmo1@Isis.MsState.Edu (CrayDeath) writes:
|> > Also, you have the problem with what the mouse is going to do while you let go
|> > to work at the keyboard.  With gravity, the mouse stays right where it's
|> > supposed to and leaves the pointer alone.  In zero-G, the mouse might decide
|> > to do some exploring on its own, moving the pointer, and possibly floating
|> > somewhere out of reach.
|>
|> 	A mechanical mouse would have all of those problems in zero-G, but an
|> 	optical mouse would not.  There are no mouse balls to float around,
|> 	and with the help of some magnets, the mouse would stay put (i.e.
|> 	won't go wandering off 'exploring on its own').
|>
|> 	=Mike

Hi Mike, (I work in the office right next to him)

Some random musings from a ME.  First, it would be very simple
to put a spring loaded follower wheel to force the mouse ball
into contact with the rollers in the mouse.  The spring constant could
even be set to match the feel of earth gravity.  Second, magnets
next to your computer...shame on you.  Oops, the mouse got loose
and is bumping into the guidance computer.  How about using something
like a modified graphics tablet.  Sort of a reverse pen plotter.
The mouse slides freely on two posts, constrained in an area that
represents the screen real estate.  Of course, you loose the ability
to accelerate the pointer, but there are always trade offs.

    -------------------------
    |              |        |
    |              |        |
    |              |        |
   -|--------------O--------|-
    |              |        |
    |              |        |
    |              |        |
    |              |        |
    |              |        |
    |              |        |
    -------------------------

Ken Flowers

juul@diku.dk (Anders Juul Munch) (06/13/91)

CJS@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

CJS>I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
CJS>They are now readily available as mice replacements.

CJS>But I would like to see keyboards with track balls built-in.  I'll bet
CJS>there are some now or rsn.  Comments?

CJS>It seems to me that it would be nice to reach the ball without moving
CJS>your fingers from the home row of the keyboard (unlike most cursor keys
CJS>and function keys).  I wonder how a location right below the space bar,
CJS>reachable by either thumb, would work.  Comments?

How about *replacing* half the space bar with a trackball.
The space bar would then be available to one thumb only, but that's all
you need, isn't it? If you usually operate the space bar on the side which
gets replaced by a trackball, it would take some getting used to, of course.
But that shouldn't be too difficult. Or perhaps accidentally moving the
trackball would be a problem, as it would be difficult to get the thumb
operating the trackball out of the way?
	How about it?

-- Anders Munch

xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (06/13/91)

Mapping keyboard key position onto the screen should also be an option
for a pointing device:

	1) some key combination to toggle between usual keyboard
	input and pointing input;
	2) duration of pressing keys as indication of
	zero order input (as in touch screen -- mapping key location
	onto screen) or first order input (as in trackball --
	moving cursor relatively)

Hey this may be done softwarely and any late night programmers hear this?

Xiao

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.211919.12789@linus.mitre.org> edelheit@smiley.uucp (Jeff Edelheit) writes:
>In article <2909@sumax.seattleu.edu> bentson@sumax.seattleu.edu (Randy+Cindy Bentson) writes:
>>
>>Christopher (or whoever wants to enlighten me):
>>Well, I for one am ignorant but intrigued. I have used both
>>the cursor arrow/hjkl keys and mice, and am curious
>>about these track balls. How do they work? Will my experience with
>>them be the - gosh, how to put this into words? - line by line
>>(like Etch-a-Sketch) movement or a more subltle flowing movement
>>that puts you where you want to be "instantly" - like mice do?
>>
>>The idea of having something on the keyboard is attractive (I
>>always lose the mouse, or have no reasonable surface to run
>>it on). What other advantages are there?
>>
>>Cindy B.
>
>The advantage to the trackball is that you don't keep moving your hand
>all over your desk, having to pick up the mouse from the mousepad when
>you gone to the end of the pad, but still need to go further, you
>don't need to have a mouse pad, etc.

Many people never use a mouse pad (I prefer it).  This largely depends upon
the specific mouse and the work surface.  I never have to pick up and move the
mouse as you describe.  Why don't you just set the speed on fast or the
sensitivity on low?  This is just fine for all but extremely delicate graphics
editing.  In that case, you might be better off with an optical mouse, anyway.

warsaw@nlm.nih.gov (Barry A. Warsaw) (06/14/91)

	CJS> I understand that users of track balls find them superior to
	CJS> mice.  They are now readily available as mice replacements.

	Bevan> 	Gads, track balls superior!  I for one find track balls
	Bevan> not 	as accurate as to a mouse.  Also there seems to be
	Bevan> less 	"fluid-motion" in a track ball rather than a
	Bevan> mouse.

I have a trackball from Evergreen systems on my Sun SS1+ which I like
very much.  I find it highly superior to the standard Sun mouse for
positioning.  I don't have much desk real estate and rarely have use
for a mouse anyway, preferring the keybindings I've set up for window
traversal, etc.  The few times I need a "mouse" (e.g., for menu
interactions, window movements or resizes, graphics), I find the
trackball positioning at least as easy if not easier than with a
mouse, since 1. I don't have to worry about 2 orientations -- the
optical mouse with the underlying pad, and the pad/mouse to screen
directional orientation; and 2. continually picking up the mouse when
I reach the side of the pad.  Also, for large screen distances, the
trackball is great.  One quick spin and my cursor goes exactly where I
want it.  I'm *much* faster now (with a little practice) at cursor
absolute positioning with my trackball.

The trackball I've got has 4 buttons -- 3 for the standard Sun mouse
buttons and a 4th for a hold button(*).  This is an essential feature,
though IMO *slightly* mis-designed on the Evergreen.  Say I want to
popup a menu on the (standard) right mouse button, do some pull-rights
and eventually select an item.  I can click the 3rd and 4th button on
the trackball (chord) and its just as if I'm holding down the mouse
button.  The problem (and bad design) is that I must click the 3rd
button (or whatever "mouse" equivalent button I've clicked) to
release.  However, sometimes its difficult to remember just what
button I pressed!  For example, on my X root window, I pop up menus
for all 3 buttons. Am I holding on the third button or first button? I
*know* that I've pressed the hold button, so I would like to see
clicking on the hold button itself release the hold.  Alas this
trackball doesn't grant me that.  (as a sidenote, does anyone know of
other good trackballs for the Sun that may do this?)

Just a thought for all you trackball designers out there :-).

-Barry

(*) actually the hold button is programmable to be the leftmost or
rightmost of the 4 buttons, with the other 3 mapping onto the standard
3 button mouse.  This is another nice feature.

v056ped5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian M McNamara) (06/14/91)

As defined in my Ergo text book...a trackball is categorized as "Other
Cursor Pointing Devices", "good pointing device but not well suited
for drawing." Essentially it is an inverted mouse. Instead of rolling
the mouse along the table, you move the ball in a stationary frame.
Everyone must have played Missile Command at one time. That was a
trackball :-).

There is only one real advantage I can see. You don't tie up your desk
space with a mouse pad and everything else.

Many disadvantages to adopting a trackball over a mouse have been discussed
but what about the applications which require holding one or two keyboard
keys, one or two mouse keys, and moving the mouse. This doesn't seem quite
possible if everything is on the keyboard.

Brian

sanders@parc.xerox.com (Rex Sanders) (06/15/91)

Now that we've seen dozens of messages on the "superiority" of mice/trackballs/
isopoints/whatever, does anyone see a pattern?

Different people like different input devices.  I suspect that "best" for
a large population will be like taking the mean of a multi-modal distribution -
a nice, handy, meaningless number.

If *you* are designing a system that needs a pointing device, pick something
(almost anything :-), but allow users to attach their favorite device through
a well-specified interface - serial port, ADB, HIL, ...  Gosh, you could even
offer *options* to users - what a radical concept!

-- Rex
   sanders@parc.xerox.com

martin@adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun13.142018.17792@ecf.toronto.edu> xiaoy@ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO  Yan) writes:

>Mapping keyboard key position onto the screen should also be an option
>for a pointing device:

There is patented, and should be available VSN (Very Soon Now) a keyboard
that uses the j key as the pointer device. The left hand toggles the use
of the key and handles mousebuttonlike activities, and force sensors in
the j key do the pointing.

I have no idea whether this is a good idea or not, but I liked it...

Martin Golding    | My opinions, mine, mine mine oh what the heck...
Dod #0236         |  here, you have them too.
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin@adpplz.uucp

amarkel@encore.com (Arieh Markel) (06/17/91)

From article <91163.083144CJS@psuvm.psu.edu>, by CJS@psuvm.psu.edu:
> I understand that users of track balls find them superior to mice.
> They are now readily available as mice replacements.
>
> But I would like to see keyboards with track balls built-in.  I'll bet
> there are some now or rsn.  Comments?

Coming back from a trip this week, a person on the plane was working on
a portable Mac with a built in track ball on the right hand side of the
keyboard.

It looked like a very good solution for working in a cramped space such
as a tray in an coach class airplane seat.

Arieh.
--
    Arieh Markel			          Tel: (305)-797-5760
    Encore Computer Corporation                    amarkel@encore.COM