[comp.human-factors] force feedback

evensen@husc9.harvard.edu (Erik Evensen) (06/17/91)

In article <9090@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

   I read once of a virtual reality application for molecule construction.
   You'd put on your gloves and waldos & be able to move around molecules
   and try to fit them together.  The feedback for how well they fit together
   was communicated via the "resistance" experienced in the gloves.

	   David

Does anyone out there know anymore about this?

--Erik (evensen@husc.harvard.edu)

bmacinty@mud.uwaterloo.ca (Blair MacIntyre) (06/17/91)

Erik> In article <9090@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

>    I read once of a virtual reality application for molecule
>    construction.  You'd put on your gloves and waldos & be able to
>    move around molecules and try to fit them together.  The feedback
>    for how well they fit together was communicated via the
>    "resistance" experienced in the gloves.

Erik> Does anyone out there know anymore about this?

Take a look at last year's SIGGraph proceedings.  There was a set of 2
or 3 presentations of systems that give force-feedback, including one
that fits the above description pretty well (minus the gloves)
--
Blair MacIntyre, Computer Graphics Lab
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L3G1

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (Mark W. Tilden) (06/17/91)

In article <EVENSEN.91Jun16200218@husc9.harvard.edu> evensen@husc9.harvard.edu (Erik Evensen) writes:
>In article <9090@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>
>   I read once of a virtual reality application for molecule construction.
>   You'd put on your gloves and waldos & be able to move around molecules
>   and try to fit them together.  The feedback for how well they fit together
>   was communicated via the "resistance" experienced in the gloves.
>
>Does anyone out there know anymore about this?

From an article I read in a Siggraph review; it was a prototype
system made to see how much of an improvement VR would be to
experts who already model these things in their heads (as is
usually the case).  The results were better than expected.  The
skill and ease with which the experts were able to model and
create weird molecules was fabulous.  The defeater was the cost
and clumsyness of the interface however.  I don't know if any further
work was done along these lines.  Possibly just waiting for 'advances
in technology' to make it available.

Is all.

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

Mark> In article <EVENSEN.91Jun16200218@husc9.harvard.edu>
Mark> evensen@husc9.harvard.edu (Erik Evensen) writes:
>In article <9090@gollum.twg.com> david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
>
>   I read once of a virtual reality application for molecule construction.
>   You'd put on your gloves and waldos & be able to move around molecules
>   and try to fit them together.  The feedback for how well they fit together
>   was communicated via the "resistance" experienced in the gloves.
>
>Does anyone out there know anymore about this?

Mark> The defeater was the cost and clumsyness of the interface however.
Mark> I don't know if any further work was done along these lines.
Mark> Possibly just waiting for 'advances in technology' to make it
Mark> available.

I saw the presentation at Siggraph.  One thing to take into account is
that the prototype was built by canabalizing a 15-20 year old robot arm.
The clumsiness/cost would be affected by this to a large degree.  Well,
perhaps not the cost.

Actually, Mark, I think the software for force-feedback would make a
spiffy real-time project, don't you? :-)
--
Blair MacIntyre, Computer Graphics Lab
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada, N2L3G1
{bmacintyre@{watcgl|violet|watdragon}}.{waterloo.edu|uwaterloo.ca}

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (06/18/91)

Project GROPE has been one of Fred Brooks' things for many years.
possibly ever since he escaped from overseeing the development
of IBM OS/360 aka "OS the Bitch Goddess".

Lance

mgflax@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Marshall G. Flax) (06/19/91)

My favorite idea involving force feedback is extremely simple: a mouse
that simply will not move into illegal/protected parts of the screen.

marshall
--
/* Marshall Gene Flax '89       (609)258-6739  mgflax@phoenix.Princeton.EDU */