[comp.human-factors] Eye Movement Tracker

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) (06/14/91)

How about tossing that old mouse into the trash can, and construct a
device which looks into your eyes while you're reading the screen, and
can actually track the precise location of what you're looking at?

Rather than "clicking" a mouse, you just touch a button when you want to
select the word or screen-button that's in your current "gaze."  Natur-
ally, a cursor follows your gaze around the screen, and touching the
button flashes the cursor (or inverts the screen button, whatever) for
immediate feedback.

Such devices already exist, but they require physical contact with the
eyeball.  This is undesireable (at least to me!)

This may sound rather like science-fiction, but it's probably possible.

Don't forget, if anybody _does_ invent such a thing, you heard it here
first!
--
Alvin ===== asylvain@felix.UUCP ===== hplabs!felix!asylvain =====
"hplabs!felix!asylvain"@uunet.uu.net

spf@cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) (06/15/91)

From article <164661@felix.UUCP>, by asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain):
> How about tossing that old mouse into the trash can, and construct a
> device which looks into your eyes while you're reading the screen, and
> can actually track the precise location of what you're looking at?
>
> Such devices already exist, but they require physical contact with the
> eyeball.  This is undesireable (at least to me!)

They exist in non-contact form.  One design, for example, uses reflectance
of the eye surface to measure eye movements.

Whether this would be useful in general is a good question.  It might make
people to "aware" of their eye movements, many of which are generally
unknown to the subject.

Reminds me of an old Peanuts cartoon:
	Linus (to Lucy): "Have you ever been aware of your tongue?"
		(he then leaves the room)

	Lucy (getting disturbed look on face): "Argghh!"
		(runs after him holding her mouth)

Steve

marsh@thelonius.mitre.org (Ralph Marshall 617 271-8784) (06/15/91)

In article <164661@felix.UUCP> asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) writes:
>How about tossing that old mouse into the trash can, and construct a
>device which looks into your eyes while you're reading the screen, and
>can actually track the precise location of what you're looking at?
>
>Rather than "clicking" a mouse, you just touch a button when you want to
>select the word or screen-button that's in your current "gaze."  Natur-
>ally, a cursor follows your gaze around the screen, and touching the
>button flashes the cursor (or inverts the screen button, whatever) for
>immediate feedback.
>
>Such devices already exist, but they require physical contact with the
>eyeball.  This is undesireable (at least to me!)

The problem is only partly with the fact that existing devices for
tracking your eyes are cumbersome and unpleasant to use.  There are
reasonable systems that track your eyes visually using cameras and
simple image recognition, but they still require that you keep your
head in a 1' cubic area.

The bigger problem is that you don't really look at things the way you
think you do.  First of all, blinking can be a problem, but bigger
problems come from the fact that your eye doesn't stay fixed on any
one place.  It moves about very rapidly, and only generally stays in
the area that you think you're looking directly at.  It also jumps
when you move to look at another area, and takes a fairly long period
of time to settle down at the new position.

So, you can't just replace the current pointing device with an eye
tracker, even if it could track your eye perfectly.  You need a new
model of how to determine the "selected area" based on the raw eye
position values, and this work needs more research into how people
really see things.

--
Ralph Marshall (marsh@linus.mitre.org)
Disclaimer:  Often wrong but never in doubt...

mac@cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (06/15/91)

In <164661@felix.UUCP> asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin Sylvain) writes:

>How about tossing that old mouse into the trash can, and construct a
>device which looks into your eyes while you're reading the screen, and
>can actually track the precise location of what you're looking at?

>Rather than "clicking" a mouse, you just touch a button when you want to
>select the word or screen-button that's in your current "gaze."....

>Such devices already exist, but they require physical contact with the
>eyeball.  This is undesireable (at least to me!)

>Don't forget, if anybody _does_ invent such a thing, you heard it here first!

Unfortunately, you are NOT first, or even second!  The simplist I've heard
of "flickers" different parts of the screen at different rates and monitors
brain waves to deduce at which part the eye is looking.  Fancier (and more
expensive) versions monitor the reflection of a small lamp from the cornea
of the eye and calculate just where it's looking.
--Myron.
--
# Myron A. Calhoun, Ph.D. E.E.; Associate Professor   (913) 539-4448 home
#  INTERNET:  mac@cis.ksu.edu (129.130.10.2)                532-6350 work

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (06/15/91)

In article <164661@felix.UUCP> asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) writes:
>How about tossing that old mouse into the trash can, and construct a
>device which looks into your eyes while you're reading the screen, and
>can actually track the precise location of what you're looking at?
>
>Rather than "clicking" a mouse, you just touch a button when you want to
>select the word or screen-button that's in your current "gaze."  Natur-
>ally, a cursor follows your gaze around the screen, and touching the
>button flashes the cursor (or inverts the screen button, whatever) for
>immediate feedback.
>
>Such devices already exist, but they require physical contact with the
>eyeball.  This is undesireable (at least to me!)

I don't know where I heard this from, but some company in England has
created a tracking system which is mounted on a frame around the eye.
A tiny laser head uses microscopic pulses to write the image to the
retina.  Motors allow it to track the pupil as it moves.  A lot of
development time was spent finding the correct intensities.

Check out sci.virtual-worlds and Human Interface Technology Lab
(HITL) for more information.

Veenu

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.192945.16681@linus.mitre.org> marsh@thelonius.mitre.org (Ralph Marshall 617 271-8784) writes:

>The problem is only partly with the fact that existing devices for
>tracking your eyes are cumbersome and unpleasant to use.  There are
>reasonable systems that track your eyes visually using cameras and
>simple image recognition, but they still require that you keep your
>head in a 1' cubic area.

If the restriction of range is with respect to the cameras, you could make
some sort of headgear that would carry some of the sensors/cameras.  I don't
know what the theoretical limitations would be, but I'd think with fiber
optics you could do something.  There was an unsuccessful attempt at a
sonic pointer via headgear marketed for the Macintosh a few years back.  It
wasn't uncomfortable to use, and some people could adapt to it fairly
quickly.

>The bigger problem is that you don't really look at things the way you
>think you do.  First of all, blinking can be a problem, but bigger
>problems come from the fact that your eye doesn't stay fixed on any
>one place.  It moves about very rapidly, and only generally stays in
>the area that you think you're looking directly at.  It also jumps
>when you move to look at another area, and takes a fairly long period
>of time to settle down at the new position.

It's been a few years since I played with an eye-tracker in a lab, but I dont
remember any serious problems with losing tracking due to blinking. The
question is whether the device could be usable in spite of the microsaccades
and saccades (jumps in fixation).  You don't have to get the machine to
do all the work.  As long as the error in the system is less than the
precision you need, people can adapt.

>So, you can't just replace the current pointing device with an eye
>tracker, even if it could track your eye perfectly.  You need a new
>model of how to determine the "selected area" based on the raw eye
>position values, and this work needs more research into how people
>really see things.

My intuition is that you could use an eye tracker as a mouse within the
current limits of technology (perhaps not economically.)  It is hard to
keep the eye fixated very long, but all you need is the duration of a
blink, or perhaps two.  One blink to indicate the beginning of a selection,
and two for the end.

All the equipment exists.  Someone just needs to decide that the experiment
is worth the resources necessary.

mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) (06/17/91)

>From: rpotter@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Potter)

>In article <91Jun14.160659edt.6227@neat.cs.toronto.edu>, mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) writes:
>>... there is a big difference between knowing the position of the eye and the
>>locus of gaze.

>Huh?  How can the locus of gaze move independantly of the eyeballs?

>--
>Robert Potter                               rpotter@grip.cis.upenn.edu
>GRASP laboratory, Univ. of Pennsylvania

I didn't say that locus of gaze moves independently of eye position. I
said that they are not the same. When an observer looks straight
ahead, his eye may not be pointed straight ahead. There's lots of
research on this. Don't be lazy, look it up.

>From: pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted)

>mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) writes:
>king of them all is the SRI double Purkinje tracker which detects
>changes in the position of the Purkinje images in the the eye.
>(Purkinje images are create by the different refractive indices of
>different ocular media. All you need is about $60K and you have one of
>your very own. There are also cheaper methods, glasses that bounce
>infrared beams of the eye, EOG's which measure activity in the
>ocular-motor muscles, etc. These have problems with accuracy and
>reliability and many operate only in the horizontal plane.

>All trackers require careful and frequent calibration.  Further, It is
>not easy to tell where a person is looking, even if you know the
>position of the pupil; there is a big difference between knowing the
>position of the eye and the locus of gaze. People also make many

-How do they cope with the relative position of the head and the screen?
->Am I to hold my head absolute still?

It depends. the SRI tracker requires careful head positioning, while
EOG's, corneal reflection, etc. don't.

>involuntary eye movements, so a tracker would unintentional cause

-Consider the aforementioned cursor. Are you saying, that just as I am
-about to press the activate button, my eyes may flicker? (i.e. can one
-have trouble "fixing" ones looking direction)

Yes. The ability to hold your eyes still is a very rare talent. (I
know because we used to look for such people in vision research.) The
amount of involuntary movement varies from peron to person.

>actions to occur. I don't think that eye trackers will ever become
>popular. Just too many problems.

>I hope they will become popular, and I expect our technology to advance
>so as to solve this. It is just too great an interface to miss...

Why? If it has a lot of problems, then it isn't so great. Hey, why not
have an interface that works by thought. That would be great too - it
only has a few problems. Just think, on your very own screen - Mosters
from the Id.

Marc Green
Trent University

schwartz@nynexst.com (S. H. Schwartz) (06/17/91)

In article <164661@felix.UUCP> asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) writes:
>Such devices already exist, but they require physical contact with the
>eyeball.  This is undesireable (at least to me!)

The EyeGaze system was demo-ed at CHI-91.  It bounces an infrared beam
off the retina.  A gaze prolonged > 200 msec is considered a selection.
A "Pause" button temporarily suspends selection, to permit "browsing."

>Don't forget, if anybody _does_ invent such a thing, you heard it here
>first!

No, I didn't.  :-)
--
S. H. Schwartz					schwartz@nynexst.com
Expert Systems Laboratory			914-683-2960

doehr@magellan.den.mmc.com (Brett B. Doehr) (06/18/91)

In article <91Jun17.083128edt.6299@neat.cs.toronto.edu>, mgreen@cs.toronto.edu (Marc Green) writes:
|> >From: rpotter@grip.cis.upenn.edu (Robert Potter)
|>
|> [whole bunch of stuff deleted]
|>
|> -Consider the aforementioned cursor. Are you saying, that just as I am
|> -about to press the activate button, my eyes may flicker? (i.e. can one
|> -have trouble "fixing" ones looking direction)
|>
|> Yes. The ability to hold your eyes still is a very rare talent. (I
|> know because we used to look for such people in vision research.) The
|> amount of involuntary movement varies from peron to person.
|>
|> >actions to occur. I don't think that eye trackers will ever become
|> >popular. Just too many problems.
|>
|> >I hope they will become popular, and I expect our technology to advance
|> >so as to solve this. It is just too great an interface to miss...
|>
|> Why? If it has a lot of problems, then it isn't so great. Hey, why not
|> have an interface that works by thought. That would be great too - it
|> only has a few problems. Just think, on your very own screen - Mosters
|> from the Id.
|>
|> Marc Green
|> Trent University

You mention that the ability to hold your *eyes* still is a very rare talent,
yet you want an interface that works by thought?!!  You must indeed be very
mentally disciplined, to never have your thoughts drift while (beer, lake,
and a...excuse me) sitting at a computer, especially while waiting for a
task to complete. 8-).  I can imagine it being embarrassing if my boss came
by and saw on the screen what I think about when I *should* be working.  On
the plus side, system security would probably be pretty easy...

--Brett.

============================================================|
Brett B. Doehr           Martin Marietta Astronautics Group |
Voice: (303) 977-1504           Internet: doehr@den.mmc.com |
Fax:   (303) 977-1530               America Online: BrettBD |
    "Writing software that only a mother could love..."     |
============================================================|

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun14.172700.4446@cbnewsl.att.com> spf@cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) writes:
>From article <164661@felix.UUCP>, by asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain):
>> How about tossing that old mouse into the trash can, and construct a
>> device which looks into your eyes while you're reading the screen, and
>> can actually track the precise location of what you're looking at?
>>
>> Such devices already exist, but they require physical contact with the
>> eyeball.  This is undesireable (at least to me!)
>
>They exist in non-contact form.  One design, for example, uses reflectance
>of the eye surface to measure eye movements.
Quite true.  They are used in psychological experiments to monitor eye fixation
patterns.

This could be quite useful for virtual reality.  Imagine teaming it up with a
stereo cold cathode display :-)

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

mcohen@ac-next2 (Michael Cohen) (06/19/91)

(Marc Green) writes:
> [...]
> Yes. The ability to hold your eyes still is a very rare talent. (I
> know because we used to look for such people in vision research.) The
> amount of involuntary movement varies from peron to person.

I remember reading that the the actors in a science fiction movie,
i think it was "Futureworld" or "Westworld", playing robots,
had to learn not to move their eyes.  This is particularly difficult
when the head turns, since one has a natural inclination to allow
the eyes to lead.

Michael Cohen
Room S-08
NTT Human Interface Labs
3-9-11, Midori-cho, Musashino-shi
Tokyo 180
Japan

voice: [+81](422)59-2077
fax: [+81](422)60-7808
(NeXT) email: mcohen%acoustic-srx1.ntt.jp@relay.cs.net

csilva@maestro.mitre.org (Carlos Silva) (06/19/91)

Yes they do exist and function by using to reflection points on the eyeball.  When the reflection point on the surface of the eye moves, the cursor moves (simplified explanation).  They are excellent and fun to use, we had one by LC technologies (60k or so) at the Contel Tech Center Intelligent Systems lab, now merged with GTE Laboratories where the eye tracker was sent.

However, the eye tracker does not let you move your head more than 1-3 inches or the light that is shining on your eye will miss your eye.  LC is designing a device that will track head movement within a 12 inch square area so that it will work more naturally.  There are already eye trackers that do this but they are in the 100K-150K range.

carlos silva