[comp.human-factors] Nat. Lang. in Education

dmorin@wpi.WPI.EDU (Duane D Morin) (06/14/91)

I'm in the midst of finishing up my undergraduate thesis on a subject very
similar to this (too bad this group didn't exist a year ago!)  So, just to
test some theories, let me list off what I feel to be some advantages of NL
in an educational atmosphere (by definition, here, educational meaning high
school level or junior high).  Debate as desired:

1) Easy recognition.  Students know that if they ant to "compare" two variables
   in a situation, they type "compare" rather than cmp or menu 2 selection 4.

2) Immediate familiarity.  If the student wishes to try something, they can
   certainly find a good starting place in the way it "should" be worded.
   Going on the assumption that many students will never have seen a computer
   menu system, they cannot be expected to be as familiar with that sort of
   layout. (Note:  Of course, students are rapidly becoming more familiar with
   computers due to home pc's.  But, until ALL students have this familiarity,
   an educational computer system cannot expect to rely on it.)

3) Ease of use for teachers.  Many teachers shun computer time simply because
   they are not confident of their own ability to answer computer based
   questions from their students.  Others become dependent on their schools'
   support personnel, if such people exist at all.  What the teachers need is
   a system that they can have confidence in and interact with easily, allowing
   them more freedom to use the computers in their classes.

Brief points about my particular system, a natural language statistical data
base:

Interactive vs. Batch mode : Students can ask questions of the system one at
a time, to achieve immediate results, or open up a program file, and make
multiple requests as needed.

Customized vocabulary:  Words in the dictionary that are not common to the
 students can be replaced by their own choices, making for an easier to use
 vocabulary.

This post was just a thought of mine.  I may not have expressed my views very
clearly (as a matter of fact, I can guarantee I didn't - you simply can't
summarize two years of research and development in one quick post).  If this
turns into a half decent discussion, I can begin posting excerpts from my
thesis, or at least from the experience of the study.

Duane Morin
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester, MA 01609-2208

dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu

sharp@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Maurice Sharp) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun14.154342.18506@wpi.WPI.EDU> dmorin@wpi.WPI.EDU (Duane D Morin) writes:
>1) Easy recognition.  Students know that if they ant to "compare" two vars
>   in a situation, they type "compare" rather than cmp or menu 2 selection 4.

This is too simplistic a view of NL usage. What about synonyms ? Worse
still, what about reflexivity. That is, the meaning of a word changes
depending on the context of use. In addition, the meaning of a word
can change as an interaction progresses.

In other words, whether students have to learn "cmp", or "compare", or
the icon or menu that represents the operation, they still have to
learn the interface language. NL does not necessarily make that
learning easier. In fact it can make it worse (see below)

>2) Immediate familiarity.  If the student wishes to try something, they can
>   certainly find a good starting place in the way it "should" be worded.

The problem here is that people tend to assign a full range of
abilities based on the demonstration of only a few. That is, if the
system demonstrates an ability to understand NL, people will assume it
can understand normal english conversation. Since the state of the art
is not even close to this (except in very limited domains or toy
systems), the students will start using phrases that will not work.

>3) Ease of use for teachers.  Many teachers shun computer time simply because

This is covered by both of the above points. They still need to learn
the interface, and they may make more assumptions about what it can do.

>Duane Morin
>Worcester Polytechnic Institute
>Worcester, MA 01609-2208
>
>dmorin@wpi.wpi.edu

As a general comment, the use of NL is overrated. In some highly
constrained domains it may make sense, but as a general user interface
tool for any community, the technology just is not there. You are
better off designing a system that meets the needs. In other words,
you are designing a tool to help get a task accomplished (perhaps
teaching addition). Find out a specification of that task, and build a
tool to support it.

A good place to start is the literature on current tutoring systems.
Bill Clancey has done a lot of good work on this.

	maurice

Maurice Sharp MSc. Student (403) 220 7690
University of Calgary Computer Science Department
2500 University Drive N.W.	      sharp@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4	      GEnie M.SHARP5