[comp.human-factors] Audio feedback from GUI's

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) (06/13/91)

I've been toying with the idea of adding audio feedback to a graphical
user interface.  Something subtle, to make it MORE intuitive.

(This stems from watching _Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_.  I had
the stunned realization that the computer noises ARE intuitive, even
to techno-geeks who watch too much TV... :-))

Some of what I've been pondering.

  Windows that make a "pop" when they appear, and a "poof" when they
    vanish.

  Warning/Info dialogs with some kind of (short) attention signal.
    Dire emergencies could have a repeating signal - silenced by any
    interaction with the dialog.

  Foreground windows (only) could emit a "busy" buzz when they're tied
    up with computation.  And maybe a happy "beedoop" when they've
    finished.

  Scroll bars with a quiet "ratchet" click as they move.  Maybe a
    click per text line (assuming you're scrolling text), or a click
    per pixel.  The click could also (maybe) change in pitch, getting
    higher as you near the top, lower as you near the bottom.  If it
    were in stereo, I could see something for right-to-left, too...

  Radio buttons and check boxes with a solid "kerchunk" as they change
    state.  Not when you first click on them - when you release and
    they actually change their settings.  Maybe different noises for
    on and off.

  Terminal windows that emit a "blit" each time they print a character
    - like in the movies.  (joke :-)

Now, of course, this could get much too cute, pushing the poor user
into continuous projectile puking or a bruised forehead and a damaged
monitor.  So, these sounds should be:
  - Very short.  I'd guess at around a tenth of a second.
  - Probably synthetic.  (Sampled sounds would have background
      noise.)
  - Low key.  Subtle.
  - Disabled on demand.

Any thoughts on this, folks?  Are there any examples of this sort of
thing?
--
Brian
brsmith@cs.umn.edu

sandy@snoopy.cs.umass.edu (& Wise) (06/13/91)

Apple did some work on this, called "Sonic Finder" (The Finder is the
Mac's "shell.")  I think I saw a writeup in SIGCHI Bulletin a couple
of years ago.  There are also a couple of PD/Shareware Mac utilities
that let you bind sounds to events.
        /s
--
Alexander Erskine Wise /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Software Development Laboratory
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ WISE@CS.UMASS.EDU /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

kirlik@chmsr.gatech.edu (Alex Kirlik) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.171211.2716@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>I've been toying with the idea of adding audio feedback to a graphical
>user interface.  Something subtle, to make it MORE intuitive.
>
>Any thoughts on this, folks?  Are there any examples of this sort of
>thing?

Much of what you discuss is implemented in Bill Gaver's Sonic Finder
for the Macintosh.  He's currently at EuroPARC, and had a couple of
papers on such things at the most recent CHI conference.  Perhaps
someone could assist with more precise references.

Alex

UUCP:	kirlik@chmsr.UUCP
        {backbones}!gatech!chmsr!kirlik
INTERNET:	kirlik@chmsr.gatech.edu

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.171211.2716@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>I've been toying with the idea of adding audio feedback to a graphical
>user interface.  Something subtle, to make it MORE intuitive.
>
>(This stems from watching _Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_.  I had
>the stunned realization that the computer noises ARE intuitive, even
>to techno-geeks who watch too much TV... :-))
>
>Some of what I've been pondering.
>
>  Windows that make a "pop" when they appear, and a "poof" when they
>    vanish.
>
>  Warning/Info dialogs with some kind of (short) attention signal.
>    Dire emergencies could have a repeating signal - silenced by any
>    interaction with the dialog.
>
>  Foreground windows (only) could emit a "busy" buzz when they're tied
>    up with computation.  And maybe a happy "beedoop" when they've
>    finished.
>
>  Scroll bars with a quiet "ratchet" click as they move.  Maybe a
>    click per text line (assuming you're scrolling text), or a click
>    per pixel.  The click could also (maybe) change in pitch, getting
>    higher as you near the top, lower as you near the bottom.  If it
>    were in stereo, I could see something for right-to-left, too...
>
>  Radio buttons and check boxes with a solid "kerchunk" as they change
>    state.  Not when you first click on them - when you release and
>    they actually change their settings.  Maybe different noises for
>    on and off.
>
>  Terminal windows that emit a "blit" each time they print a character
>    - like in the movies.  (joke :-)
>
>Now, of course, this could get much too cute, pushing the poor user
>into continuous projectile puking or a bruised forehead and a damaged
>monitor.  So, these sounds should be:
>  - Very short.  I'd guess at around a tenth of a second.
>  - Probably synthetic.  (Sampled sounds would have background
>      noise.)
>  - Low key.  Subtle.
>  - Disabled on demand.
>
>Any thoughts on this, folks?  Are there any examples of this sort of
>thing?
>--
>Brian
>brsmith@cs.umn.edu

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) (06/13/91)

Oops!  My previous posting lost my comments.  So much for the interface of
Emacs :-)

In article <1991Jun12.190345.515@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Meir) writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.171211.2716@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>>I've been toying with the idea of adding audio feedback to a graphical
>>user interface.  Something subtle, to make it MORE intuitive.

Events and sounds on the Mac:

My friend has this sort of thing set up on his Mac SE.  It appears that all
interface operations and messages can be connected with sounds.  Opening and
closing windows makes zooming out and in sounds (can you describe them in
words?), emptying the trash, in his case, flushing the toilet, makes a flushing
sound.  Ejecting a disk causes a vomiting sound, and a user error message makes
an "Idiot!" sound.

I love the idea but, in practice, it can be a bit overwhelming and disturbing
after a while.  Toned down a bit, it could be quite useful as well as amusing.

So, how about a 3D display, like the LED VGA goggles, but beaming separate
images into each eye?

* * * * * *  ====================== Meir Green
 * * * * * * ====================== (Internet) mig@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
* * * * * *  ====================== meir@msb.com  mig@asteroids.cs.columbia.edu
 * * * * * * ====================== (Amateur Radio) N2JPG

mick1@.llnl.gov (Steve Mick) (06/13/91)

 I understand that SoundMaster, an Init for the Macintosh, can be set
 up to play any number of sounds for a number of given events: window
 open, window close, drag start, drag stop, etc.  Most of the sounds I've
 seen (heard?!) are rather lengthy but shorter sounds are probably
 available.

Steve Mick
Usual Disclaimers

steve@arezzo.siemens.com (Steve Giovannetti) (06/13/91)

>I've been toying with the idea of adding audio feedback to a graphical
>user interface.  Something subtle, to make it MORE intuitive.
>
>(This stems from watching _Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation_.  I had
>the stunned realization that the computer noises ARE intuitive, even
>to techno-geeks who watch too much TV... :-))
>
>Some of what I've been pondering.
>
>  Windows that make a "pop" when they appear, and a "poof" when they
>    vanish.
>
>  [ ...other sound effects... ]

  If I am sitting in a room with five other people, each with audio extensions
in their GUI, can you imagine the db level?  Five people typing away on
semi-noisy keyboards is bad enough, but all that popping, clicking, and buzzing
would drive me crazy.  Noises like that are cute but their novelty wears out
after a time directly proportional to the number of people in your office.  Of
course you could make everyone wear earphones, but how many people would go
for that?  Even if you turn down the volume there will still be an audible din
of creepy little sounds.  (enough to make you start taking thorazine ;-))
  I feel that for the visual feedback will have to do.  It is not distracting
to anyone other than persons looking on your screen.  I can't think of a
better solution in the multi-person office.  Force feedback may actually hold
some promise.  I have read somewhere that that the tactile sense actually
registers faster than the visual.
  I don't think that sound would be totally inappropriate but there are
limitations.

 Steve Giovannetti   				(steve@learning.siemens.com)

	     "Enita non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem!"
					      William of Occam

kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) (06/13/91)

For what it's worth, I installed "Findersounds" which is another thing that
behaves as described, with all sorts of "appropriate" noises on window open,
window close, drag, resize, scroll, select, and so on.

It was the most annoying thing I've ever seen for the Mac. I dragged it out
of the System Folder after about ten minutes.

Charley Kline, KB9FFK, PP-ASEL                          c-kline@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois Computing Services          Packet: kb9ffk@ka9mnx
1304 W. Springfield Ave, Urbana IL  61801                 (217) 333-3339

In <1991Jun12.202741.16629@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:

>For what it's worth, I installed "Findersounds" which is another
>thing that behaves as described, with all sorts of "appropriate"
>noises on window open, window close, drag, resize, scroll, select,
>and so on.

>It was the most annoying thing I've ever seen for the Mac. I dragged
>it out of the System Folder after about ten minutes.

That's exactly what I'm hoping to avoid.

Maybe I should rephrase the question.  Instead of "Wouldn't it be NEAT
if interface operations made sounds", it should be "What interface
operations would BENEFIT from audio feedback?"

This is a wide open question.  Use your imagination (mine's about
tapped).  What other common operations are there and what kind of
sound would suggest that operation to you?

Like...
Delete	("zap"?)
Paste	("splat"?)
Sort	("riffle-riffle" - paper shuffling, only for as long as
	sorting takes.  Obviously, there are a LOT of possibilities
	for cpu-bound tasks, since the user is probably bored to death
	waiting anyway...)

The hardest part here is figuring out WHERE to use WHAT sounds
unintrusively.

The best one I've thought of so far is the variable pitch "click" on
scrolling.  It gives you a lot of information - whether you're going
up or down (from hearing two consecutive clicks and hearing the pitch
difference), how fast (useful for rate-scrolled windows), and how
close you are to each end (high or low pitch).  Maybe even a quick
"thud" noise whe you reach the end.

It has the potential to make the interface feel more real.
--
Brian
brsmith@cs.umn.edu

lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Louis Koziarz) (06/13/91)

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:

>Maybe I should rephrase the question.  Instead of "Wouldn't it be NEAT
>if interface operations made sounds", it should be "What interface
>operations would BENEFIT from audio feedback?"

I was about ready to followup to your original post when the system went down
and came up with this response.  This is a much better question to ask, IMHO.

>This is a wide open question.  Use your imagination (mine's about
>tapped).  What other common operations are there and what kind of
>sound would suggest that operation to you?

Well, you can look at the audio channel question from a few points of view.
The examples you mentioned, and the ones that are used in SonicFinder
seem to simply provide redundant feedback to visual operations that are
occuring upon the desktop.  With the advent of multitasking, I think a much
better idea would be to provide auditory feedback on background processes,
since your visual channel is already preoccupied with the foreground task.
Why not use the other hemishpere as long as it's idle, right?   A good table
to segregate the visual and auditory channels comes from B.H. Deatherage, as
lifted from Chapter 9 of _Readings in Human Computer Interaction_ by
Baecker and Bruxton (eds).  Here goes:

     Use auditory presentation if:        Use visual presentation if:
     -------------------------------      ---------------------------------
     1: The message is simple.            1. The message is complex.
     2. The message is short.             2. The message is long.
     3. The message will not be           3. The message will be referred
        referred to later.                   to later.
     4. The message deals with            4. The message deals with events
        events in time.                      in space.
     5. The message calls for             5. The message does not call for
        immediate action                     immediate action.
     6. The visual system of the          6. The auditory system of the person
        person is overburdened.               is overburdened.
     7. The receiving location is too     7. The receiving location is
        bright or dark-adaptation            too noisy.
        integrity is necessary.           8. The person's job allows him to
     8. The person's job requires him        remain in one position.
        to move about continually.

Your original article pretty much picked up on these concepts, and they're
important ones.  This might explain why so many Mac users trashed SonicFinder.
A few good concepts came through, such as the rising pitch of the water
sound as the file copy reached completion.  A background compile could benefit
from this, since a user can judge progress as well as speed of progress in
one metric.

I'm not anywhere near an expert on HCI (I'd like to be! :), but these are a
few of the things I've picked up along the way.  The book I mentioned earlier
is a good read, although a bit dated by now (1987). The auditory chapter
deals a lot with speech synth and recognition, but there are a few good points
to be found about non-speech audio.  Maybe with 3-D sound we can do a few
neat things.  Of course the user can shut it off at any time, nobody would
like to work in an office full of chattering CPUs, which means audio will
have to be a redundant medium for a long time, unless everyone gets headphones.

Before I get _too_ long here, I think audio could be very useful for interface
design, but it needs to be thought out carefully.  We all rely upon audio
feedback, like the sound your car door makes when it doesn't shut right, or
when your muffler springs a leak.  Can anyone pick it up from here and think
of new directions for sound?

Louis Koziarz
koziarz@uiuc.edu

haltraet@gondle.idt.unit.no (Hallvard Traetteberg) (06/13/91)

I've never tried making an interface with sound, but I've often wanted one.
But it seems to me I want it for a different reasons than you do. I would like
a sound to tell me that the machine is traching, that the network is jammed
and when important mail comes by. These sounds work as signals and contains
little information besides that. I believe that:

  1.Sound is useful for attracting attention.
  2.Sound (as opposed to speach) is *not* useful for communicating
    information.

I don't need to hear a "zap" when deleting a file since I get enough visual
feedback already. When working at the machine my attention is already there to
catch changes in the display (and thus the working environment). When waiting
for something to happen I would like to look at my desk instead. With my
attention some other place a sound that tells me the sorting is done is
appropriate. Likewise, when the humming from a large NFS transfer vanishes I
know I can go back to work on the machine. A friend of mine has a PC
with a heat regulated fan, which makes a different sound when the machine
accesses the network. He likes it because it tells him why the PC slows down.)

Remember also that several people often share an office and that alerting
sounds are heard by all of them. A faint humming mix in with other white noise
and is less disturbing.
--

                                                           - hal

kers@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) (06/13/91)

Brian R. Smithm says:

   Sort	("riffle-riffle" - paper shuffling, only for as long as
	   sorting takes.  Obviously, there are a LOT of possibilities
	   for cpu-bound tasks, since the user is probably bored to death
	   waiting anyway...)

Why should the user be bored? They just run tetris, or patience, or ....
(almost anything that doesn't need vast amounts of CPU itself).
--

Regards, Chris ``GC's should take less than 0.1 second'' Dollin.

flaps@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) (06/13/91)

sandy@snoopy.cs.umass.edu (& Wise) writes:
>There are also a couple of PD/Shareware Mac utilities that let you bind sounds
>to events.

I've seen some TERRIBLE implementations, such as "finder sounds".

The Sonic Finder is very nice.  It was designed by someone who knew about macs
and who also knew about sounds and human auditory perception.  He spent a
considerable amount of time designing the sounds to be used.

These other things I've seen are all terrible.  They were designed by people
who knew about macs but didn't know anything about sound.  They didn't seem to
spend much time on the sounds, and they sound awful.  Other posters mentioned
deleting these implementations within minutes.  You would not have the same
reaction to the original sonic finder.

As the original poster later pointed out, it's not just the bare fact of
associating sounds with actions, it's doing it in a way which is beneficial to
the user (not just "cool").

ajr

Pete Welter (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.003210.23083@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
(Louis Koziarz) writes:
>occuring upon the desktop.  With the advent of multitasking, I think a much
>better idea would be to provide auditory feedback on background processes,
>since your visual channel is already preoccupied with the foreground task.
>Why not use the other hemishpere as long as it's idle, right?

There was a presentation at CHI '91 about using sounds (in this case musical
notes and instruments) to monitor the processors in a parallel machine.
One example assigned each processor a note, and increased the amplitude the
proportional to the length that the processor had been idle.  The other
example used both instruments (one for each processor) and note to monitor
when messages were sent and received between pairs of processors.  To my
mind, it sounding surprisingly pleasant, when I expected cacophony.  The
people who did it are at U of Southwestern Louisiana (Albright, Francioni,
and Jackson).  The real measure of such an auralization is whether any
information can be gleaned from it, and although they said that their
parallel computing expert benefitted, there are no hard numbers to back
this up yet (this was advertised as work in progress).

>Before I get _too_ long here, I think audio could be very useful for interface
>design, but it needs to be thought out carefully.  We all rely upon audio
>feedback, like the sound your car door makes when it doesn't shut right, or
>when your muffler springs a leak.  Can anyone pick it up from here and think
>of new directions for sound?

As opposed to the musical sounds I talked about above, these examples
fall into the category of "everday sounds."  In fact, Bill Gaver wrote
about "The Psychology of Everday Sounds," exploring when and why these
sounds work.  He and Randy Smith presented an interesting paper about
the "ARKola Simulation", which used sounds to augment a soda bottling
factory simulation.  They then tested people using the simulation (both
getting it working and dealing with problems) with and without sound, and
the sound version was more effective (and a lot more interesting the
subjects said).  I thought that neatest idea they incorporated was having
each object make sounds, and then scaling the amplitude of the sounds
to whether it was showing the the window (this was a bigger than screen
representation), and if not, how far away from the visible region the
object was.

- Pete

Pete Welter
Institute for the Learning Sciences - Northwestern University
welter@ils.nwu.edu

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.215523.7379@cs.umn.edu> brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:
>   The hardest part here is figuring out WHERE to use WHAT sounds
>   unintrusively.

	Agreed.  This is why a sound feedback MUST be configurable.

>   The best one I've thought of so far is the variable pitch "click" on
>   scrolling.  It gives you a lot of information - whether you're going
>   up or down (from hearing two consecutive clicks and hearing the pitch
>   difference), how fast (useful for rate-scrolled windows), and how
>   close you are to each end (high or low pitch).  Maybe even a quick
>   "thud" noise whe you reach the end.

	NO, This is one of the first things I turned off when I used
	SoundMaster on the Mac.  The scrollbar sound was cute, but slowed
	down the scrolling and was annoying (i.e. it was too long in
	duration).  NOTE: This is an good example of why audio feedback must
	be configurable by the user.

	The most useful audio feedback I've found when using SoundMaster is
	a audio indication of when I enter and leave a legal drop site (e.g.
	dragging a file over the trashcan).  The audio feedback augmented
	the visual feedback so well, that I could almost hit the target
	(e.g.  the trashcan) without looking.

>   It has the potential to make the interface feel more real.
>   --
>   Brian

	Agreed.

	=Mike
--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.003210.23083@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> lnk10562@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Louis Koziarz) writes:
>	Use auditory presentation if:        Use visual presentation if:
>	-------------------------------      ---------------------------------
>	2. The message is short.             2. The message is long.
> Your original article pretty much picked up on these concepts, and they're
> important ones.  This might explain why so many Mac users trashed SonicFinder.
> A few good concepts came through, such as the rising pitch of the water
> sound as the file copy reached completion.

	First, thanks for posting the audio verses visual feedback list.  I
	think that Bill Buxton has done some incredible work in the area of
	audio feedback and input techniques.  Secondly, don't you think that
	your example conflict with item 2 from your list.  I for one would
	turn this particular feature off, if possible.

>  Louis Koziarz

	=Mike
--
==  Michael K. Yee <yee@osf.org>      -+-      OSF/Motif Team
==  Open Software Foundation - 11 Cambridge Center - Cambridge, MA  02142
==  		"Live simply, so that others may simply live."

jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (Douglas W. Jones,201H MLH,3193350740,3193382879) (06/13/91)

Audio feedback can be nice, but the system should always try to work and
work well with no audio feedback.  I work in an office with real walls
separating me from my neighbors, but I can still hear the beeps and other
audio effects from their computers, and it is usually annoying.

When I'm able to, I get into termcap files and use the visible bell option
to make the beeps from most software turn into screen flashes of one
kind or another.  An occasional beep is OK, and I doubt I'd object to a
quiet synthesized paper riffling noise, but I do object to listening to
a Mac user at work when he's programmed his machine to wretch as it ejects
a diskette, howl with laughter when he makes an error, and so on.  This
may be cute, but it's disruptive!

Even keyclick noises can be disruptive, and I've never sympathized with
some manufacturers whose machines have naturally silent keyboards with
bad tactile feedback so they decided that a sharp beep would substitute for
the lack of a click or good feel on the keyboard.

					Doug Jones
					jones@cs.uiowa.edu

freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (06/13/91)

haltraet@gondle.idt.unit.no (Hallvard Traetteberg) writes:
>  2.Sound (as opposed to speach) is *not* useful for communicating
>    information.

I guess you have never played a video game...

Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                      E-mail: freek@fwi.uva.nl
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

prisoner@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Allen S. Firstenberg) (06/14/91)

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) writes:

>That's exactly what I'm hoping to avoid.

>Maybe I should rephrase the question.  Instead of "Wouldn't it be NEAT
>if interface operations made sounds", it should be "What interface
>operations would BENEFIT from audio feedback?"

I see audio being used best in "invisible" operations, where the user needs
to monitor whats going on, but isn't paying full attention to the process.

>This is a wide open question.  Use your imagination (mine's about
>tapped).  What other common operations are there and what kind of
>sound would suggest that operation to you?

I've seen the mail program for Suns let you set an audio file to play when
you get mail (you can even set the audio file for specific people).  For
example, set a "drip" sound for most normal mail, so you have a vague idea
how much mail you have waiting for you.  Important mail can be set to (say)
a recording of the persons voice?

>The hardest part here is figuring out WHERE to use WHAT sounds
>unintrusively.

Above all, I feel that it should add something _usefull_ to the interface.
More than just fun, but something that might be noticed better when there is
sound attached to the function.

Along those lines, we should beware to add toko much sound, otherwise we run
the risk of the user ignoring _all_ sounds.

>It has the potential to make the interface feel more real.

And more confusing.  Is realisim what we want?  OR better cognition?  Can we
violate principles of the real world and get people to work better _AND_
enjoy working more?

Allen

--
UID = 5553,  CCID = F8PG,   ID = 6      I am just a number
prisoner@rpi.edu                        "refs unpersons"

erin@erin.EBay.Sun.COM (Rob VanDell SSE) (06/14/91)

 This may sound rather silly, but I (being an old fart)
remember the most audible GUI ever invented.

It featured:

 A virtual screen in Y, 80 characters in X.

 A single click-bop newline in combination with a ker-bap-chunk on retrn.

 A bump signified a space, and a click-bap-bump if a character
 was printable.
(If however one forgot the 80chr/line limit, it made a bip-click-bump-bap-bump
 on every character anyway.)

 A form-feed was a BOP-BOP-BOP-BOP...

To signify powered operation, it made a thip-thip-thip (backgrounded with a 60hz hummm)
attributed invariably to poor typing skills.

 There were many widgets, only four buttons, and a slider (for mirror memory activation)
 , a knob control for the virtual X display, and an interesting widget that extened the
functionality of various widgets, we called it widget-tape. It's use was mostly involved
in binding widgets to the base-frame...

When in batch mode, there were various other audible signals as well.

 A nick-hum denoted a successful character read in.

 A thwak-chunck was indicative of successful mirror buffering.

 Cut & paste was not really considered a feature at the time, but more
 a way of life.

What was this, you say??? Teletype-ASR33...

It's to laugh,
RobV.

spf@cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) (06/14/91)

 haltraet@gondle.idt.unit.no (Hallvard Traetteberg) writes:
>  2.Sound (as opposed to speach) is *not* useful for communicating
>    information.

Wow.  This is a pretty strong statement.  Do you have evidence?

You see, I've spent about 10 years quantifying the ADVANTAGES of sound
for pattern recognition in multivariate time series, and I know of
several other investigators doing similar work for other types of
quantitative exploratory data analysis.

To put it simply, the experimental evidence in the literature contradicts
your assertion rather embarrassingly.  I've included a brief bibliography
below, but there are others I know of not represented here.

Good science puts inquiry ahead of speculation.

Steve Frysinger