[net.rec.birds] Fun with Feeders...

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (01/12/85)

I live in a cozy, small home neighborhood in Madison, WI, a town of about
250,000.  We've got a couple of feeders hanging from our clothesline pole,
and we also scatter food on the ground and porch.

Our most common customers are Slate Juncos and the ever popular House
Sparrow.  Other regulars are Cardinals, Black Capped Chickadees, and Pine
Siskins.  Irregulars are White Breasted Nuthatches, White Throated
Sparrows, and American Tree Sparrows.

Our biggest problem is fighting off the squirrels.  The other day one of
the little buggers actually ripped the plastic top off of one of the
feeders.  Whenever we manage to catch them, we have a sporting time by
driving them off with salvoes from our trusty BB gun.

Is there a less violent, more effective way to keep them from scaring off
the birds?

Apologies to Friends of the Squirrel.

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/15/85)

> Is there a less violent, more effective way to keep them from scaring off
> the birds?

There is an ad running in Organic Gardening, last I saw, for a squirrel-
proof bird feeder, which automatically closes under the weight of a
squirrel, but which is normally open to birds.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (01/18/85)

In article <1948@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>There is an ad running in Organic Gardening, last I saw, for a squirrel-
>proof bird feeder, which automatically closes under the weight of a
>squirrel, but which is normally open to birds.

My folks have one of these, it works great.  We used to have lots of
problems with squirrels, but no more.  It's really fun to watch the
little fuzzy buggers try to outwit the feeder.  They haven't gotten in
yet.

--
=Spencer
	({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)