[comp.human-factors] modes in object-oriented graphics packages

roseman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Roseman) (06/25/91)

We're looking at ways to limit the hassle of switching modes in object-based
drawing packages such as MacDraw.  The constant hassle, in particular
between drawing a line and grabbing that line (i.e. the switch between
the arrow tool and the line tool) is getting to be a real pain.  Less of
a pain, though still ugly is choosing different drawing tools (line,
rectangle) from a pallette.

In an application we want to support fluidity of drawing, we need some
solutions to this.  Pop-up menus rather than pallettes seem to make sense
at least for changing between different tools.

However, it seems a better solution should exist for choosing between
drawing (with whatever tool) and selecting an object.  With a multi-button
mouse this is less of a problem than on a Mac I suppose.  We're considering
the use of special keys (option or whatever).

Are there any alternatives out there?  Has anyone done anything in this
direction?
Mark Roseman
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta.  T2N 1N4
(403) 220-5769   roseman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca    {ubc-cs|alberta}!calgary!roseman

dsmall@mitre.org (Duane Small) (06/26/91)

>We're looking at ways to limit the hassle of switching modes in object-based
>drawing packages such as MacDraw.  The constant hassle, in particular
>between drawing a line and grabbing that line (i.e. the switch between
>the arrow tool and the line tool) is getting to be a real pain.

(more text deleted)

FrameMaker for the Mac uses the option key to change between treating text
as editable and treating the frame of the text as an object to be moved or
adjusted in size.  The mouse cursor changes to show which mode you are in.
I personally find it convenient.

sandy@snoopy.cs.umass.edu (& Wise) (06/27/91)

  >We're looking at ways to limit the hassle of switching modes in object-based
  >drawing packages such as MacDraw.  The constant hassle, in particular
  >between drawing a line and grabbing that line (i.e. the switch between
  >the arrow tool and the line tool) is getting to be a real pain.

  (more text deleted)

Not exactly the same, but Corel Draw has an interesting "pencil" tool:
The tool is capable of drawing both curves and straight lines.  I
don't remember exactly how it works (I'm a Mac-type myself) but
basically, if you draw a mostly straight line it infers that it was
what you wanted, and switches to rubberbanding.  I think it may also
have been able to infer horizontal/vertical constraints...

Similarly, Ashlar Vellum (a Mac CAD package) has something called
"intelligent assistants" that can infer corner constraints and the
like...

        /s
--
Alexander Erskine Wise /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Software Development Laboratory
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ WISE@CS.UMASS.EDU /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

acl3k@agate.cs.Virginia.EDU (Allan Christian Long) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun24.172022.15695@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> roseman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Roseman) writes:
>We're looking at ways to limit the hassle of switching modes in object-based
>drawing packages such as MacDraw.  The constant hassle, in particular
>between drawing a line and grabbing that line (i.e. the switch between
>the arrow tool and the line tool) is getting to be a real pain.  Less of
>a pain, though still ugly is choosing different drawing tools (line,
>rectangle) from a pallette.
[stuff deleted]
>Are there any alternatives out there?  Has anyone done anything in this
>direction?
>--
>Mark Roseman
>Dept. of Computer Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alta.  T2N 1N4
>(403) 220-5769   roseman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca    {ubc-cs|alberta}!calgary!roseman

One solution to this problem that I've seen is to use the space bar to
toggle between the current drawing tool and selection mode.  That is,
if you are drawing and press the space bar, you go into selection mode.
If you press it again you go back to the drawing tool that you were using.
I can't remember what program I saw that used this, but I liked it.
It would be better than holding down option or shift if the user often
spends a long time in selection mode.

A. Chris Long, Jr.					acl3k@virginia.edu
"You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?"	- Steven Wright

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun24.172022.15695@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>, roseman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Roseman) writes:

>However, it seems a better solution should exist for choosing between
>drawing (with whatever tool) and selecting an object.  With a multi-button
>mouse this is less of a problem than on a Mac I suppose.  We're considering
>the use of special keys (option or whatever).
>
>Are there any alternatives out there?  Has anyone done anything in this
>direction?

Dean Rubine, Dean.Rubine@cs.cmu.edu, just presented a paper at the
Nashville USENIX called "Integrating Gesture Recognition and Direct
Manipulation".  Here's an excerpt from the abstract:

  "A gesture-based interface is one in which the user specifies
commands by simple drawings, typically made with a mouse or stylus.  A
single intuitive gesture can simultaneously specify objects, an
operation, and additional parameters, making gestures more powerful
than the "clicks" and "drags" of traditional direct manipulation
interfaces."

He showed videotapes of his work, including a draw program.  It was
pretty slick.  As soon as the gesture was unique, e.g., an "L" for a
rectangle, the freehand "L" was replaced with a resizable rectangle
the same size and location as the "L".

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  Tug on anything in nature and you will find
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    it connected to everything else.

consp04@bingsuna.bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Dan Boyd) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun24.172022.15695@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> roseman@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Mark Roseman) writes:
>We're looking at ways to limit the hassle of switching modes in object-based
>drawing packages such as MacDraw.  The constant hassle, in particular
>between drawing a line and grabbing that line (i.e. the switch between
>the arrow tool and the line tool) is getting to be a real pain.

	I suggest you get a copy of Adobe Illustrator and work with it
for a while (say, ten or so half-hour sessions).  Note, in particular,
that no matter what tool you're using, holding down the command key
gives you the selection arrow, and the space bar gives you the 'hand'
(which moves things around).

	Also, on Studio/8, most of the alphanumeric keys switch
drawing tools (I think it's A for airbrush, P for pencil, and a host
of others.)

	I strongly suggest you try out Adobe Illustrator and Studio/8
for ideas.

						-- Dan
--
Daniel F. Boyd
consp04@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu

aarsten@idt.unit.no (Amund Aarsten) (06/30/91)

As a part of a larger project (system development environment) I once
hacked a simple graph editor where the same (left) mouse button was
used for both insertion, selection and moves. The idea was that if you
click on an extisting object, you probably want to select it; if you
drag while having a selection you probably want to move it; if you click
outside exsisting objects you probably want to insert a new one (the tool
palette could be on another mouse button).

This worked great except for the arcs in the graph (which are drawn between
the nodes; you drag a line from one node to another). If the above scheme
is used the tool would assume you wanted to select the node when you started
to draw the arc. I can't remember how I worked around it but it wasn't
totally satisfactory (involving shift-buttonpresses etc.).

Amund