From: LT@fek.su.se (Lewis Taylor)
Newsgroups: alt.politics.homosexuality
Subject: Information about the ILGA
Date: 13 Jun 91 23:00:55 GMT

The International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA) is a
worldwide federation of national and local groups dedicated
to achieving lesbian and gay rights around the globe.
Founded in 1978, it now has more than 200 group members plus
many individual members. Every continent and more than 40
countries are represented. ILGA'S member groups range from
small collectives to national networks and entire cities.

ILGA helps members achieve their rights through worldwide
cooperation. We focus public and government attention on
lesbian and gay rights by supporting programs and protest
actions, asserting diplomatic pressure, providing resource
information, and working with the international media.
ILGA's Bulletin helps groups exchange news of their
successes and setbacks--all aimed at assisting the many
lesbian and gay communities to learn from each other and
identify global resources.

Many of ILGA's international campaigns have helped win major
victories. Our pressure contributed to the legalization of
homosexuality in New Zealand, repeal of the discriminatory
US immigration policy, compliance by various nations with
the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights and
growth of a democratic multiracial lesbian and gay movement
in South Africa. In many countries, notably throughout
Eastern Europe, ILGA has supported the emergence of the
first autonomous lesbian and gay groups.

ILGA also highlights the vicious oppression of homosexuals
in countries where it is too dangerous for any organized
movement to exist, such as Iran. We have participated in
many conferences, including ones sponsored by the World
Council of Churches, the Conference on Security and
Cooperation in Europe, and the World Health Organization.
ILGA represents lesbian and gay interests in the work of
international bodies such as the United Nations, to whom we
have applied for consultative status. ILGA is campaigning to
make Amnesty International accept lesbians and gay men
imprisoned for their sexuality as prisoners of conscience.
We ensure our communities are not forgotten by those who
formulate international human rights demands.

Our Annual World Conference attracts delegates from all over
the globe--from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and the
Pacific. International activists have an opportunity to
learn from other cultures, present achievements, collaborate
with companion groups on national and worldwide projects,
and help set the international lesbian and gay agenda. The
conferences are also a celebration of our diversity!
Regional conferences are also encouraged. Regions can make
decisions affecting their area within the policies set by
the World Conference. So far, regional conferences have been
held in Europe, Latin America, Eastern Europe, and Asia.
Others are in the planning stage.

Through our Information Secretariat's bimonthly Bulletin,
members around the world share information, call for
support, and exchange views. The Bulletin is mailed to all
members, to the lesbian and gay media, and to international
human rights organizations. The ILGA Bulletin is an
indispensable source of global information and contact names
and numbers.

ILGA's ongoing work is organized by various "secretariats"
or departments. Th Information Secretariat produces the
Bulletin, disseminates information, and works with the
media. Lesbian visibility and participation is ensured by
the Women's Secretariat. The Action Secretariat coordinates
international protests. The Financial Secretariat takes in
fees and donations, maintains memberships, and is
responsible for fundraising. ILGA is officially represented
by a lesbian and a gay Secretary General. All these posts
are elected at the World Conference.

Full membership is open to all non-commercial lesbian and
gay groups that support the aims of ILGA.
Associate/individual memberships are also available. ILGA's
Twinning Program helps new or struggling groups join by
putting them in contact with established members. All
applications for membership are subject to approval at the
World Conference, but applicants get mailings immediately.
The annual group membership fee is 80 British Pounds (full
or associate membership). The annual fee for individuals is
45 British Pounds. If your group is in the US, or would
prefer to pay in US Dollars, please call us for details of
payment. Only Full Members have ILGA voting rights. ILGA
operates on a minimal budget and has only one part-time paid
staff member. Donations are always welcome.

For more information on membership, contact the ILGA
Financial Secretariat, 141 Cloudesley Road, London N1,
England (tel +44 71 278-1496).

For more information on international issues or to publicize
your work in the ILGA Bulletin, contact the ILGA Information
Secretariat, c/o Antenne Rose & FWH, 81 rue Marche'-au-
Charbon, B-1000 Brussels 1, Belgium (tel and fax +32 2 502-
2471).

To call for an action, contact the ILGA Action Secretariat,
c/o GLF-Ko"ln, Bismarckstrasse 17, D-5000 Ko"ln 1, Germany
(tel +49 221 73-0504, fax c/o AIDS-Hilfe NRW, +49 221 25-
2495).

For information on lesbian issues contact the Women's
Secretariat, c/o Groep 7152/Schadee, Vivienstraat 49, NL-
2582 RS Den Haag, The Netherlands (tel +31 10 425-3812)