[misc.activism.progressive] CHILE: FREE ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS

christic@igc.org (06/20/91)

/* Written  8:17 am  Jun 18, 1991 by peacenet in cdp:pn.alerts */
/* ---------- "CHILE: FREE ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS" ---------- */
From: <peacenet>
Subject: CHILE: FREE ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS!

>From chilevencera Mon Jun 17 19:34:24 1991
           CHILE: FREE ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS!

By now (6/17/91), 150 political prisoners in Chile have completed
17 days of hunger strike.

In an open letter to foreign governments, international human
rights organizations and international solidarity with Chilean
prisoners, the National Coordinator of Political Prisoners said:

"In our opinion, the government has concerned itself mainly with
giving all sorts of guarantees and concessions to those who indeed
violated human rights. The government, pressured by the power of
Pinochet and the political parties that support him, has ignored
our just and legitimate demands of freedom."

"Faced with this new injustice, the political prisoners haved
decided to mobilize and carry out actions to pressure the
government into hearing our demands. To this respect we have
written a letter to President Aylwin."

"We also call upon you in the rest of the world to not forget us.
Your support is critical in these times of difficulty we continue
to face."

                  WHAT THEY NEED you TO DO:

Write a letter to President Aylwin, stating your support for the
remaining 200 political prisoners in Chile, and your demand that
they all be free immediately.

Ask President Aylwing to stop Minister of the Interior, Krauss and
the Administration Secretary Enrique Correa, their public insults
to the political prisoners. Those who Krauss and Correa now refer
as "political criminals" risked their lives struggling against the
tiranny of Pinochet, unfortunaley, so that people like Krauss and
Correa could now be enjoying a job in the "democratic" government.

This hunger strike is a desperate cry for justice now. Free all
political prisoners without any conditions. Prosecute those
responsible for human rights violations who are living in impunity.

The address for President Aylwing is:

          President Patricio Aylwin
          Palacio de la Moneda
          Santiago, CHILE

Also send letters to Justice Minister Francisco Cumplido at:

          Compania 1111
          Casilla 21
          Santiago, CHILE

If you wish to contribute money to the Coordinator of Political
Prisoners contact us.

Greeting. CHILE ACTION COLLECTIVE.
For more info see: reg.samerica or ax.amlatina