[comp.archives.admin] Description programs -- lq-text

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (06/09/91)

cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) enthuses:
> YES YES YES PLEASE!

>(Could you make available your mods to lq-text and/or scripts for
>inputting data from comp.archives etc?)

It seems only fair to David Bremner to say that I have his changes to my
lq-text, and you can get them from me if you prefer.  I certainy prefer (!),
because I find it useful to know who's using lq-text and what they're doing
with it, as this helps me to decide what to do next...

The next release (the current version is 1.10) *will* include support for
externally compressed files and for archives.  I am also hoping to include
the shared (distributed) wordlist server and the X11/xview front end, as well
as a number of contributed programs.

Having said all that, I've run out of words.   No, that's not what I wanted
to say (he blathered wildy), sorry!

I'm also hoping to get some better result-sorting (`ranking' in the literature)
into the next release.  As with compression, the hooks have been there for
ages, and I have experimented with both these things already.
For comp.archives I can see that one might want to add a file at a time --
that's fine -- and to rename files from time to time as they're archived.
So I'll have to have the long-awaited lqadmin stuff as well...

I've also done a bit more work on making installation easier, as although it
is already easy for programmers and people who have ported usenet software,
a number of others have had difficulty forgetting to change things.  So the
new defaults either configure themselves or are ludicrously wrong so you
*have* to cange them.

Note: You can get lq-text by anonymous ftp from ftp.cs.toronto.edu, in the
      pub/lq-text directory.  Check the version number in the filename -- the
      last version I put there was: lq-text1.10.tar.Z
      The README file is included in the tar.

Note to Ed: there ought to be some way of marking a news article as
explicitly containing a pointer to an archive (as this one does), and also
a way of explicitly marking an article as not intended for comp.archives even
though it contains trigger-phrases...

Liam

--
Liam Quin, lee@sq.com, SoftQuad, Toronto, +1 416 963 8337