[comp.archives.admin] How about "The American Way"?

smart@mel.dit.csiro.au (Bob Smart) (06/25/91)

There are two ways of supporting broadcast services: government
funding (the BBC) and advertising (the American way). Why not end
each comp.archives posting with

  Comp.archives is brought to you by the Big Blue Computer Company
  -- number 1 in information processing.

and cycle through 100 variations of that. I know I'd be positively
disposed towards the sponsoring organization.

Yes I know this would require a lot of networks to authorize a special
dispensation. If they don't it's a big loss because comp.archives is
the best thing in the news. I bet it's a lot easier to get the networks
to give dispensations than money for a valuable service.

Bob Smart

emv@msen.com (Ed Vielmetti) (06/26/91)

<excerpt>
In article 1991Jun25.063045.22031@mel.dit.csiro.au
	smart@mel.dit.csiro.au (Bob Smart) writes:
   There are two ways of supporting broadcast services: government
   funding (the BBC) and advertising (the American way). Why not end
   each comp.archives posting with

     Comp.archives is brought to you by the Big Blue Computer Company
     -- number 1 in information processing.
</excerpt> <par>
Sure, it could even be topical by the origins of the group involved; I
think I'd put it in the verification section like so.  Tags are
prototypes right now, and you'll excuse the blatant advertising, which
is included without anyone's permission.  (The archive-normal-form is
also a prototype worth looking at.)
</par> <par>
Newsreaders could be configured to ignore the advertising, which
should make this sort of use completely consistent with most usenet
guidelines.  Advertising is not offensive if it is unobtrusive and if
can be easily ignored, either if it is separated into its own
newsgroup (comp.newprod) or perhaps it it's explicitly tagged.
</par>
<verification>
<kw>
ups	debugger saber c dbx adb gdb x11 sunview ups-2.31
</kw>
<archive-normal-form>
19910520.2205 ftp export.lcs.mit.edu /contrib ups-2.31.tar.Z 963435
19910520.2237 ftp export.lcs.mit.edu /contrib ups-2.31.README 9758
19910528.1254 ftp ftp.uu.net /tmp ups-song.ms 1237
19910529.0944 ftp ftp.uu.net /tmp ups-song.au 1456032
</archive-normal-form>
<ad>
Saber C -- The Complete Programming Environment for UNIX Workstations
Saber Software Inc, saber@saber.com
</ad>
<snappy-quote>
Those who have tried (ups) claim it's the next-best thing to Saber C.
-- Mark Moraes, comp.archives article 1991Jun3.231125.11963@ox.com
</snappy-quote>
<ad> Contact info@msen.com for information and rates. </ad>
</verification>

<sig>
Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, MSEN Inc. emv@msen.com
<ad>
This message brought to you by the letters C and E and the number 3.
</ad>
</sig>

alan@ukpoit.co.uk (Alan Barclay) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.063045.22031@mel.dit.csiro.au> smart@mel.dit.csiro.au (Bob Smart) writes:
>There are two ways of supporting broadcast services: government
>funding (the BBC) and advertising (the American way). Why not end
>each comp.archives posting with

Isn't there a third way, paid for by people who actually want the service,
eg Cable TV.

Somebody who HAS to pay for the BBC.
--
  Alan Barclay