[soc.veterans] Aviation Anniversaries

jem3@pyuxf.cc.bellcore.com (John E McKillop) (06/10/91)

From: jem3@pyuxf.cc.bellcore.com (John E McKillop)

                SELECTED JUNE AVIATION ANNIVERSARIES

The following is reprinted without permission from AIR FORCE MAGAZINE
published by the Air Force Association.

Jun 3, 1966: NASA launches Gemini 9 with Lieutenant Colonel Thomas
Stafford, USAF, and Lieutenant Commander Eugene Cernan, USN, on board.
Commander Cernan perfomrs a two-hour spacewalk during the three-day
mission.

June 7, 1981: Eight Israeli Air Force General Dynamics F-16s escorted by
McDonnell F-15s, attack the Osirak nuclear reactor near Baghdad, Iraq,
disabling its core. As a result, the US imposes a temporary embargo on
the supply of new F-16s to Israel.

June 9, 1961: The first Boeing C-135A Stratolifter is delivered to the
Military Air Transport Service (MATS, now MAC), marking the start of a
modernization program to eliminate its all-propeller fleet of
transports.

June 11, 1926: The protoype Ford 4-AT TriMotor, an eleven passenger
airliner, makes its first flight.

June 18, 1911: H. Clyde Balsey of the Lafayette Escadrille is shot
down near Verdun, Framce, the first American-born aviator shot down
in World War I

June 19, 1911: The second U.S. Army aircraft, a Wright Model B, arrives
at College Park, Maryland from the Wright factory.

June 20:
  1941: The U.S. Army Air Corps (USAAC) is redesignated U.S. Army Air
    Forces (USAAF) with Major General Henry H "Hap" Arnold as its chief.
  1951: First flight of two Bell X-5 research aircraft. Based on the
    Messerschmitt P.1101, they are used to investigate variable wing
    sweepback.
  1956: The US Navy commissions its first helicopter assault carrier,
    USS Thetis Bay (CVHA-1).

June 22, 1946: Two U.S. Army Air Forces Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star
fighters carry the first US airmail to travel by turbojet-powered
aircraft from Schenectady, New York to Washington, DC and Chicago,
Illinois.

June 23, 1931: Wiley Post and Harold Gatty begin their around-the-world
flight in the Lockheed Vega WINNIE MAE. They complete the New York to
New York trip July 1, having flown for 8 days, 15 hours and 51 minutes.

June 26:
  1946: The US Army Air Forces and the US Navy officially adopt the knot
    and nautical mile as standard aeronautical units of speed and
    distance.
  1981: The first production Grumman/General Dynamics EF-111A Raven (aka
    Sparkvark), a specially developed ECM tactical jamming aircraft,
    makes its first flight.

June 28, 1946: The first V-2 rocket is launched from White Sands
Proving Grounds, New Mexico. It rises to an altitude of 67 miles.

June 29, 1961: The US Navy's Transit IV satellite is launched, the
first known to carry a nuclear power source in the form of a
radioisoltope battery.

mef@unify.com (Marvin Fenner) (06/14/91)

From: mef@unify.com (Marvin Fenner)

jem3@pyuxf.cc.bellcore.com (John E McKillop) writes:
> From: jem3@pyuxf.cc.bellcore.com (John E McKillop)
> June 7, 1981: Eight Israeli Air Force General Dynamics F-16s escorted by
> McDonnell F-15s, attack the Osirak nuclear reactor near Baghdad, Iraq,
> disabling its core. As a result, the US imposes a temporary embargo on
> the supply of new F-16s to Israel.

Those of us pulling AWACS support duty in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia,
remember this evening well. When the entire command staff came rushing
through the hotel lobby that evening, briefcase and brick
(walkie-talkie) in hand, we thought July 4th had arrived a bit early.

Seems that our "eye in the sky" had watched the whole thing on
the tube (RADAR).

--
Marvin E. Fenner   | My disclaimer is available for public viewing
Unify Corporation  | between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm PST, ...