[comp.society.development] The Net in India

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.211452.17937@netcom.COM> jms@netcom.COM (John Schonholtz) writes:
>In article <1991May23.115550.966@darwin.ntu.edu.au> b_duke@darwin.ntu.edu.au (Brian Duke) writes:
>>How many sites in real developing countries are on the net. Is this group
>>going to be another case of the well developed pontificating about the less
>>developed?

There are roughly 50 institutions in India, mostly Universities
and Research Labs which have access to Internet for email ONLY.
As far as I know, a very small fraction of these (< 5 for sure)
get a newsfeed.

Many private companies have access to Internet, a fallout of the
above networking efforts.  I routinely interact with my sisters
in Bombay by email as a consequence.

Reading and writing news is not too common, because it's quite
new and because only a few organisations have it in the first
place.

There are tremendous computer skills in India, the stumbling
block here is a fabulously inefficient state-owned telecom
system.
Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                             The more things change, the more they stay insane.