[comp.society.development] Low-cost Usenet

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.170923.1@cc.helsinki.fi>, harmo@cc.helsinki.fi says:

>Upon further reflection I came upon quite a bad mistake in the scheme.
>I believe that there are very few unix-machines (not to speak of mainframes
>that could run newsreader) in Nepal, so there probably would not be much
>demand, unless NTC set up a modem-based newsreading service. That would
>require
>quite a lot more than a simple feeding system (many incoming modems,
>complicated billing, customer support, ....... a new computer culture, in a
>word). Is there really no newsreaders for ms-dos -machines?

If you have a 8088 MSDOS machine with 640K and an adequate hard disk,
you can run Waffle to read e-mail and Usenet news.  Waffle talks UUCP
to Unix, and other Waffle systems as well.

Waffle can be used for local news-reading or as a dial-in BBS system.
It's limited to one user at a time, although I've heard rumors of run-
ning two waffle sessions under Desqview.  Each user has their own
signon.  DOS Waffle is shareware - $35/copy registration - source
is available.

There's also a Unix version of Waffle.  By making Waffle the login
shell, users have the same interface for news and mail reading as DOS
Waffle.  Multiple users are supported, and the host system's facilities
are used for uucp, news and mail transport.  Some public-access Unix
systems use Waffle now.  This is a commercial product, provided in
source, and quite reasonable (about $120 or so).

Coming back to the original point, these are some inexpensive, easy
to use (from user's point of view, not necessarily the sysop's) ways
to make news and e-mail access more widely available.  soc.culture.nepal
dropped in followups to this article, since we're getting far afield.
For more information about either waffle, see alt.bbs.waffle.

Doug

elkordy@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mohamed Elkordy) (06/06/91)

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:

>If you have a 8088 MSDOS machine with 640K and an adequate hard disk,
>you can run Waffle to read e-mail and Usenet news.  Waffle talks UUCP
>to Unix, and other Waffle systems as well.

   Sorry, but I think I do not understand what is going on !
 Is this "Waffle" a hardware or just software, and if it is only software
 you will definitly need modem ? and if u use modem what is the telephone
 number that you are going to dial from Nipal (or in my case, Egypt). It
 is not an 800 #, is it?

   thanks for your anticipated explaination.

  elkordy@acsu.buffalo.edu

DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) (06/06/91)

In article <78978@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, elkordy@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mohamed
Elkordy) says:

>   Sorry, but I think I do not understand what is going on !
> Is this "Waffle" a hardware or just software, and if it is only software
> you will definitly need modem ? and if u use modem what is the telephone
> number that you are going to dial from Nipal (or in my case, Egypt). It
> is not an 800 #, is it?

Waffle is a software-only program.  Yes, you need a modem, that's how
you connect to another site by UUCP.

I can't answer where you would hook your site to - in Egypt, there may
be a university that has usenet access.  In Nepal, it was suggested that
since the internal phone connections are good, you would need an infor-
mation/connection vendor - perhaps the phone company, or a UUNET-like
organization.  They would have to decide on billing arrangements.

Doug
--
Doug Sewell, Tech Support, Computer Center,         doug@ysub.bitnet
Youngstown State University, Youngstown,  OH 44555  doug@ysub.ysu.edu

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (06/14/91)

In article <78978@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, elkordy@acsu.buffalo.edu (Mohamed Elkordy) writes:
> DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu (Doug Sewell) writes:
>

>>If you have a 8088 MSDOS machine with 640K and an adequate hard disk,
>>you can run Waffle to read e-mail and Usenet news.  Waffle talks UUCP
>>to Unix, and other Waffle systems as well.
>
>    Sorry, but I think I do not understand what is going on !
>  Is this "Waffle" a hardware or just software, and if it is only software
>  you will definitly need modem ? and if u use modem what is the telephone
>  number that you are going to dial from Nipal (or in my case, Egypt). It
>  is not an 800 #, is it?

Waffle is software.  To get a news system running with DOS Waffle,
you need

      1)  a MSDOS computer with 640K and hard disk
      2)  Waffle
      3)  a modem
      4)  a feed - this is another news site that you can call on
          the phone to get news from and feed your local postings
          back to.
      5)  a copy of the Nutshell book about uucp

Item 1 can be satisfied by an IBM XT or clone, 8088 with 20MBytes of
disk.  You will always want more disk.

Item 2 can be picked up on the network.

Item 3 should be at least 2400 baud.  You should probably talk to the
system administrator of your feed site before buying it.  Speeds higher
than 2400 have compatibility problems - you want to be able to use
all the speed you pay for.

Item 4 can be found here.  You describe your location and ask for
willing neighbors to let you know.  For the first USENET site in
Nepal, they are going to be a long distance phone call away.  You
might find a local feed in some places in Egypt.  Either way,
somebody is paying for long distance phone calls and it is good
citizenship to help pay.

Item 5 will help, but is still not enough.  The documentation is all
written in a strange dialect of English, including the Nutshell book.
You will need a great deal of patience and determination and the help
of the system administrator at your feed site and, probably, also help
from people here on USENET.

This only begins to point the way.  Keep asking questions.  Ask for
help understanding the things above that don't make sense to you.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun14.100804.4867@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>Waffle is software.  To get a news system running with DOS Waffle,
>you need
>
>      1)  a MSDOS computer with 640K and hard disk
>      2)  Waffle
>      3)  a modem
>      4)  a feed - this is another news site that you can call on
>          the phone to get news from and feed your local postings
>          back to.
>      5)  a copy of the Nutshell book about uucp
>
>Item 1 can be satisfied by an IBM XT or clone, 8088 with 20MBytes of
>disk.  You will always want more disk.

Technically correct. But for a high speed news feed it would be safer
to get a 286 or 386, both of which will also be more useful for other
software (especially 386 for possible future upgrade to unix). If you
have an 8088 then use it, but don't buy one unless it is DRAMATICALLY
cheaper.

>Item 3 should be at least 2400 baud.  You should probably talk to the
>system administrator of your feed site before buying it.  Speeds higher
>than 2400 have compatibility problems - you want to be able to use
>all the speed you pay for.

It will be cheaper to buy your feed site a high speed modem as well
as buying your own than to use 2400 baud for international news feeds
to Egypt or Nepal etc. Trailblazer PEP has the best reputation for
difficult international circuits. V32.bis is next choice, HST third
choice (but of course you must have the same as your feed). Also
get 16550AN USART to replace the 16440 USART on serial card and
use a FOSSIL that takes advantage of it. Both Waffle and FOSSILs
are available from simtel. 2400 baud may be economically ok if
you have a local call feed but would still be a nuisance. Any
long distance feed should be higher speed even if not international.

(Perhaps a file of "consensus" advice could be built up from
discussions in this group - including EXACTLY where and how to
get software and hardware and explanations of conflicting
opinions. Include within a FAQ or point to it from one. Better still,
prepare a "kit" with simplified installation and tutorial manuals etc.)

BTW, I think fido software would be better for the actual file
transfers than uucico, especially on difficult international links
(mainly because of resuming after a lost connection, but also
slightly more efficient and easier to configure schedules etc).

How about combining a BinkleyTerm mailer with Waffle for the "kit"
(needs a similar feed of course)?

--
Opinions disclaimed (Authoritative answer from opinion server)
Header reply address wrong. Use cmf851@csc2.anu.edu.au

Probably be a useful idea to start off by defining
some "do and don't do" rules (or "motherhood and
apple pie" baselines) for the vaporware plug and
play Usenet system under consideration.

1) Not MS-DOS. Why? I spent a mercifully brief nine
months working on a ten month MS-DOS project to
upgrade an existing commercial software package with
much more functionality to "beat the competition";
it's delivery was just announced, three YEARS late.

Every problem _I_ saw was due to overstressing an
architecture and an operating system already pushed
far past its limits.  Cheap as the hardware and OS
are, building on an MS-DOS base is a recipie for
failure or immediate obsolescence.

Something like SCO Unix on a fairly cheap 80386 box
would probably be fairly effective.  AmigaUX is a
SYSVr4 Unix, but a bit pricy compared to the Intel
boxes, but it might be worth considering too, since
the software would all be PD after the initial
purchase.

2) Preemptive multitasking -- so the operator can be
using the system, while the filing software is
working at sorting out news/mail, while at least
one user is logged in.

3) Diligient, highly directive error reporting; not
just "error ### occurred", but "The last transfer
was halted due to lack of spool partition space;
your current expire is 3 days, run expire with a two
day parameter (do a 'man expire' to see how) to get
more room, or look for suspiciously overlarge or
over-age files using 'find' (see 'man find')."

4) A complete online glossary and help/manual set:
"what's a spool partition" should be an easy
question to answer.

5) Brilliant error recovery from all the current
problems; dropped user lines, dropped feed lines,
overlarge file transfer, file system corruption,
power loss, etc.

6) A prioritizing system to transfer files in aged
"smallest files first" fashion to encourage brevity.

7) Backing store for files await transmission; this
may (probably will) require operator intervention,
but we shouldn't be afraid to make the system labor
intensive to save costs; we have the example of
amateur radio operators to show us how hard
hobbiests are willing to work, we just need to make
the system not be knowledge intensive, so that those
diligent but unskilled can just follow directions to
make it work.

8) Robust and commonly available components; we
should _expect_ phone line quality problems, power
brownouts, lightning storms, etc. Since repairs
will be a problem, select stuff that doesn't break
often, and where local spares are an affordable
option.

9) Redundancy; use two lesser grade $300 systems
instead of one $600 system, so that graceful failure
modes exist; do this even at the sacrifice of
greater overall throughput from the monolithic
system.

10) A _very_ simple editor, character and line
oriented, that automatically avoids transmitting
overlong lines, etc.

11) Lots of optional ways to do things; hooks to use
radio instead of phone instead of satellite; swap
editors at the user level, locally present news as
mail and vice versa, etc.

12) Respect for local character sets; probably best
to just start with a 16 bit or variable length
character size; this implies that each document
transmitted should have a header that identifies
language and character set, so that we monolinguals
can pick our favorite language out of a wider
discussion. While I love English as a standard
language for world discussion, and it is probably
the most common second language in the world, it is
still not reasonable to ask local conversations to
occur in English.

13) Probably tons more; someone else take a turn.

Kent, the man from xanth.

trifid@agora.rain.com (Roadster Racewerks) (06/19/91)

Oh, you've sure pushed on of *my* favorite buttons!

A really GOOD editor....what I wouldn't give for an online editor similar to
"QuickEd" by the Dirosh brothers (used on my favorite local systems running
QuickBBS software)! Cursor in all directions, insert and delete single character
if need be, quote only one line at a time, as chosen by you with a single
keystroke. Runs a lot like a good wordprocessor except no spellcheck... All
single keystroke or slightly shifted single character commands. Comes online
automatically as soon as you hit "r", and waits to be commanded. Lovely!

Quick, easy, uncomplicated, handy...no leaving the reading function to do
serious editting. (And, thusly, no one quoting entire articles when they only
wanted 2 sentences....except for a few regular unix users who can't seem to
break the "quote it all" syndrome... ;-)

(Hi Shad...! :-)

Suze Hammond, who has NO connection to Quick-anything except as a very satisfied
user...
trifid@agora.rain.com

cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.065605.6955@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> Probably be a useful idea to start off by defining
> some "do and don't do" rules (or "motherhood and
> apple pie" baselines) for the vaporware plug and
> play Usenet system under consideration.

> 12) Respect for local character sets; probably best
> to just start with a 16 bit or variable length
> character size; this implies that each document
> transmitted should have a header that identifies
> language and character set, so that we monolinguals
> can pick our favorite language out of a wider
> discussion. While I love English as a standard
> language for world discussion, and it is probably
> the most common second language in the world, it is
> still not reasonable to ask local conversations to
> occur in English.

Read the July 1991 issue of _Byte_.

There's a good article about the new expanded character sets,
including Unicode (which is being pushed by most of the big
American computer companies.  Two byte codes, giving 64K
characters.  That's enough for the complete alphabets of *all*
of the major languages (including the complete ideographic
set for Chinese/Japanese/Korean), and space left for local
dialects and/or special agreed-upon cases.

It's certainly needed, and as long as the ISO is sitting on its'
collective thumbs, Unicode has a shot...

--
|        C Irby       cirby@vaxb.acs.unt.edu        cirby@untvax         |
|  Between the politicians, the lawyers, the bureaucrats, the insurance  |

cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun18.211613.22150@agora.rain.com> trifid@agora.rain.com
(Roadster Racewerks) writes:

>A really GOOD editor....what I wouldn't give for an online editor similar to
>"QuickEd" by the Dirosh brothers (used on my favorite local systems running
>QuickBBS software)!
>Cursor in all directions, insert and delete single character
>if need be, quote only one line at a time, as chosen by you with a single
>keystroke. Runs a lot like a good wordprocessor except no spellcheck... All
>single keystroke or slightly shifted single character commands. Comes online
>automatically as soon as you hit "r", and waits to be commanded. Lovely!

Expressed as a "requirement" that would be asking for a message editor
that functions like any normal PC editor instead of some emulation of
a brain-damaged teletype machine. Seems reasonable. But why "online"?
And why no spellcheck?

If we just state the requirement, it may turn out the best way to meet
it is NOT online but offline, with protocols for delivering articles
to the users PC like any other network node (e.g. NNTP and POP3 or
else X.400 Message Store or FidoNet "point" software) and similar protocols
for submitting articles from the user's PC to the Message Transfer Agent
(which may well be just another user's PC).

>Quick, easy, uncomplicated, handy...no leaving the reading function to do
>serious editting. (And, thusly, no one quoting entire articles when they only
>wanted 2 sentences....except for a few regular unix users who can't seem to
>break the "quote it all" syndrome... ;-)

Not leaving the reading function for editing could still be implemented
with an ordinary wordprocessor as long as the integration is seamless and
uses a single keystroke.

I think the requirement for less quoting is not really connected with
the quality of the editor. People would quote less if the reader
software had keys for jumping back to the message that is being quoted
from and then returning to the reply message. (As is partly implemented
on many FidoNet readers, where extensive quoting is indeed less common).

Requirement: Ability to jump easily between messages that quote
text from other messages and the original message the quote was taken
from. (Related to cheaper and ease of use requirements as well as
being an enhancement of functionality).

--
Opinions disclaimed (Authoritative answer from opinion server)
Header reply address wrong. Use cmf851@csc2.anu.edu.au

cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun18.065605.6955@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Probably be a useful idea to start off by defining
>some "do and don't do" rules (or "motherhood and
>apple pie" baselines) for the vaporware plug and
>play Usenet system under consideration.

Kent, thanks for kicking this along. I'm going to go through your
points with a fine tooth comb, mainly raising objections, but
thanks for providing something to comb. My main point is that we
should start from requirements and carefully distinguish those from
design decisions (although some requirements may be policies or rules
to follow in making design decisions).

>1) Not MS-DOS. Why? I spent a mercifully brief nine
>months working on a ten month MS-DOS project to
>upgrade an existing commercial software package with
>much more functionality to "beat the competition";
>it's delivery was just announced, three YEARS late.
>
>Every problem _I_ saw was due to overstressing an
>architecture and an operating system already pushed
>far past its limits.  Cheap as the hardware and OS
>are, building on an MS-DOS base is a recipie for
>failure or immediate obsolescence.

Depends what we are building. If the implied architecture
is based on multi-user systems providing a service to
a number of simultaneous dial-up online users then
MSDOS may be inappropriate (though a number of BBSes
do in fact use it).

But with phone lines the dominant cost, and a requirement for
cheap connection and use, surely an architecture for developing
countries should focus even more than in the developed world
on making full use of the users own PCs.

I have in mind (for use by community groups in developed
countries as well) an architecture where each user has
a complete MTA and some users provide relay services for
other users. e.g. An organization in some town can simply
leave their office computer on all night and local users can automatically
deliver mail to it before the network schedule for
forwarding to the next relay and can then call back again
later to pickup mail from it after the network schedule
for picking up mail from the next relay. That is the model
FidoNet uses for overnight mail exchange among about 10,000
BBSes and it is extended to individual "point" users that
run essentially the same network software but have no
dial-up dumb terminal callers.

FidoNet BBS sysops put as much time into operations as unix
sysadmins but on average have less skills and the
extension already occurring to "point" operators suggest
the sysop functions can be eliminated. (With a GREAT
deal of design effort).

Such an architecture would greatly reduce costs
(if it is feasible to overcome reliability problems
through redundancy etc and to design the needed
network management). It should not be eliminated from
consideration in favour of multiple dial-up users
without careful analysis.

It would certainly require software to be running
on MSDOS boxes and also (less urgently in developing
countries) on Macs. The problems with MSDOS may
just HAVE to be overcome to meet other requirements.

>Something like SCO Unix on a fairly cheap 80386 box
>would probably be fairly effective.  AmigaUX is a
>SYSVr4 Unix, but a bit pricy compared to the Intel
>boxes, but it might be worth considering too, since
>the software would all be PD after the initial
>purchase.

If we do need a unix-like system then Xenix, Coherent
and Minix should also be considered. One model might
be to switch operating systems at night for network
operations. Very likely unix will be desirable at
gateways and for additional functions like real-time
chat and database lookup. Also unix may be the PC
operating system of the future and certainly
unix is the best development platform even if the
development is for DOS. So unix should be kept in mind.

Possible Design Rule: All software developed should
be as generic and POSIX compliant as possible with
clear separation of platform specific modules from
generic modules.

>2) Preemptive multitasking -- so the operator can be
>using the system, while the filing software is
>working at sorting out news/mail, while at least
>one user is logged in.

Desirable, but not a requirement if the user logged
in is at the console. For developing countries,
overnight mail may be quite acceptable with no need
to do any sorting out or other network activities
during times when the user needs the computer. Also
it may be possible to do background network transfers
with only very minimal multi-tasking that is oriented
towards a fancy comms driver like XPC or Mirror
rather than providing a complete multi-tasking operating
system. (After all PCs on LANs do their networking in
the background while still running what looks to the
user like plain ordinary DOS).

Certainly pre-emptive multi-tasking does not mandate
a shift from the DOS world to unix (though it is
easier under unix). Many BBSes use Desqview and
Windows 3 might also be a possibility.

>3) Diligient, highly directive error reporting; not
>just "error ### occurred", but "The last transfer
>was halted due to lack of spool partition space;
>your current expire is 3 days, run expire with a two
>day parameter (do a 'man expire' to see how) to get
>more room, or look for suspiciously overlarge or
>over-age files using 'find' (see 'man find')."

Again implies a local "operator" but just less skilled
(or less tolerant of brain damaged software) than at
present. I'm not sure the REAL requirements can be
met without eliminating "operator" functions ENTIRELY
- which means sending error messages to network
management instead of expecting anybody trying to
USE the computer to deal with them (which of course
implies having a lot less error messages to deal
with).

>4) A complete online glossary and help/manual set:
>"what's a spool partition" should be an easy
>question to answer.

Nope. Why should a doctor or librarian who wants to use
their word processor to communicate with others want to
know what a "spool partition" is?

The sort of stuff they should see would be along the lines
of:

"The disk is filling up too quickly. Select 1, 2 or 3.

	1. Reduce the period for which old messages are kept.

Or, to postpone the problem without solving it.

	2. Select some messages to delete now.
	3. Move some messages to archive diskettes."

Requirement: Error messages should be reported only to network
management. System messages visible to the user should walk
the user through the procedure required, including insertion
and removal of diskettes etc, and should be expressed in
terms of concepts the user is necessarily familiar with.

>5) Brilliant error recovery from all the current
>problems; dropped user lines, dropped feed lines,
>overlarge file transfer, file system corruption,
>power loss, etc.

DEFINATELY. (But I wouldn't call it "brilliant".
Having operators deal with these things is simply
ridiculous.)

>6) A prioritizing system to transfer files in aged
>"smallest files first" fashion to encourage brevity.

That is a policy statement for brevity which may
have less impact than providing for reader selection
and prioritizing of articles to read with length
as a criteria. That could be added as a requirement
though it seems low priority to me.

The X400 prioritizing of urgent normal and non-urgent
items seems adequate for all transfer purposes. It
would allow normal mail to go through while "files"
are delayed by lack of disk space at intermediate
relays and would allow system messages and other
priority traffic to get through while capacity is
strained beyond normal limits. This eliminates a
substantial part of the need for sysadmins.

>7) Backing store for files await transmission; this
>may (probably will) require operator intervention,
>but we shouldn't be afraid to make the system labor
>intensive to save costs; we have the example of
>amateur radio operators to show us how hard
>hobbiests are willing to work, we just need to make
>the system not be knowledge intensive, so that those
>diligent but unskilled can just follow directions to
>make it work.

I can see the point that unskilled labor may be
cheaply available for taking diskettes in and out
even though operator labor is unavailable, but I
doubt that there is much scope for making use of
this and certainly can't see it helping with a
queue of files waiting for transmission. (The
files should just stay on the machine they were
produced on or that they have been relayed to
until there is room to send them further. With
priority queues etc that just results in users
being told they can't send the file, not in
anything clogging up. Users told they can't
send a file can copy it off their hard disks
if they really want to, but they are more likely
to get bigger disks if it happens regularly,
and network capacity has to be increased if it is
a problem significant enough to be worth designing
a manual backing system store for.)

Possible uses for cheap labor might be archiving
old messages to diskette (though I suspect tape
will soon work out cheaper because of the media
costs anyway and tape is not labor intensive).

Another one is carrying news and files by
diskette or tape instead of phone.

>8) Robust and commonly available components; we
>should _expect_ phone line quality problems, power
>brownouts, lightning storms, etc. Since repairs
>will be a problem, select stuff that doesn't break
>often, and where local spares are an affordable
>option.

Yep. Implies a strong preference for commodity
PC hardware used locally for ordinary wordprocessing etc.

Another reason to try adding ONLY the modem to what
users already have.

>9) Redundancy; use two lesser grade $300 systems
>instead of one $600 system, so that graceful failure
>modes exist; do this even at the sacrifice of
>greater overall throughput from the monolithic
>system.

Yep. But only sites with a critical need for
continuous access to the network need duplicate
their own equipment (and they would be likely
to have multiple PCs anyway). The network itself
should simply be designed to assume that a
certain percentage, perhaps even quite a HIGH
percentage of nodes will be down at any given
time and re-route the traffic automatically
to provide the lowest cost with the
nodes that ARE available (AND to ensure nodes
that are down will get their traffic when they
come back up, which may be harder). Basically
this just means extra disk space apart from
the software design. No other extra hardware
at all. (Well, maybe ensure there is more
than 1 or 2 sites with high speed modems at
each end of an expensive and important international
link - though even there it is just a trade off with
the increased traffic costs from using other nodes
with lower speed modems).

Our requirements are not the same as corporate
networks.

>10) A _very_ simple editor, character and line
>oriented, that automatically avoids transmitting
>overlong lines, etc.

See my reply to Sue.

>11) Lots of optional ways to do things; hooks to use
>radio instead of phone instead of satellite; swap
>editors at the user level, locally present news as
>mail and vice versa, etc.

Careful. Some things just have to be optional, but
providing the network management will require a lot
of standardization - at least to the extent that any
option must include the remote logging and remote
configuration needed to manage it without a local
operator.

>12) Respect for local character sets; probably best
>to just start with a 16 bit or variable length
>character size; this implies that each document
>transmitted should have a header that identifies
>language and character set, so that we monolinguals
>can pick our favorite language out of a wider
>discussion. While I love English as a standard
>language for world discussion, and it is probably
>the most common second language in the world, it is
>still not reasonable to ask local conversations to
>occur in English.

X400 has given thorough consideration to character
set and language issues and has for very good reasons
standardized on ISO 6937 (T61) for normal text in
latin alphabet languages and ISO 2022 escapes to multi-
byte character sets for languages like Chinese etc. It
also provides for language labels. This is the best
solution for permitting use of multiple languages and
character sets in the same discussions among users with
different equipment each suited to their own language.
(Details of why would be a diversion best left to
a detailed design stage. Let's not get diverted into
re-inventing sheels that international standards
organizations have already invented.)

Internal character sets on the user's own equipment are
a separate issue for which Unicode etc may be relevant.

The basic requirement is that network character sets
should allow the full expression of each user's own
language with maximum possible interchange with users
that have equipment designed for other languages. This
permits multi-lingual conferences and the emergence of
new pidgin and creole languages through networking
between people that do not understand each other's language
fluently.

>13) Probably tons more; someone else take a turn.

Thanks for the opportunity. There is indeed tons more to come,
but let's try to keep it primarily at a "requirements" level
before taking design decisions.

--

In article <1991Jun21.231902.24754@newshost.anu.edu.au> cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) writes:
> >1) Not MS-DOS.

> >building on an MS-DOS base is a recipie for
> >failure or immediate obsolescence.

> But with phone lines the dominant cost, and a requirement for
> cheap connection and use, surely an architecture for developing
> countries should focus even more than in the developed world
> on making full use of the users own PCs.

That doesn't imply MS-DOS, except as a way to boot a better system. Look
at it this way, DOS users are used to running one program at a time. The
Nusenet operating system can just be seen as such a program. What should it
be? POSIX compatible, for sure! Why not MINIX?

Even better would be a new baby UNIX clone. The mechanisms UNIX V7 uses to
handle multitasking, drivers and the like are unsexy, but they're well known.
And they're pretty efficient on small systems: V7 on the PC was faster for
some stuff than MS-DOS... MINIX, with its elegant structure, is slower.

But I have to back Kent's comments on MS-DOS. Depending on it as a platform
will just give use another Fidonet. If you're going to do that, why the
hell not just start with Fido? It works, it's installed worldwide, and it's
certainly cheap!

> X400 [...] Let's not get diverted into
> re-inventing sheels that international standards
> organizations have already invented.)

But X400 is an overly complex system. What's wrong with 16-bit clean RFC822?
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"

jhess@orion.oac.uci.edu (James Hess) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.220326.24387@newshost.anu.edu.au> cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) writes:

>But why "online"?
>
>If we just state the requirement, it may turn out the best way to meet
>it is NOT online but offline, with protocols for delivering articles
>to the users PC like any other network node....

I second the offline suggestion.  Remember that we are dealing with limited
economies.

I am working with Dr. Duane Metzger, who is working with the BESTR network out
of SDSU.  The intent is to link up Spanish and English speakers on both sides
of the U.S.-Mexican border.  A problem for many is the cost of the telephone
line.  We hope to combine available software to enable people to log on,
automatically download any new messages in the conferences they follow, then
log off and hang up.  The messages could then be edited, replies written,
followed by a log on and automated up-load.

Wish us luck!

-Jim Hess-

cmf851@anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) (06/26/91)

In article <28669966.27747@orion.oac.uci.edu> jhess@orion.oac.uci.edu
(James Hess) writes:

>of the U.S.-Mexican border.  A problem for many is the cost of the telephone
>line.  We hope to combine available software to enable people to log on,
>automatically download any new messages in the conferences they follow, then
>log off and hang up.  The messages could then be edited, replies written,
>followed by a log on and automated up-load.
>
>Wish us luck!

"Good luck!"

BTW, don't even think about writing your own software until you have
checked out FidoNet "point" software (many different packages) and
"Waffle" (similar concept for Usenet). They integrate the whole process
so you don't think in terms of logging in and automatically uploading
and downloading. You think in terms of either just leaving your computer
on all night so something mysterious happens or occasionally telling it
to "do it's stuff". Then you are just writing and reading messages on
your own computer. No visible "logging in" or "uploading" or "downloading".

--

In article <U05CKB2@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com
(Peter da Silva) writes:

>That doesn't imply MS-DOS, except as a way to boot a better system. Look
>at it this way, DOS users are used to running one program at a time. The
>Nusenet operating system can just be seen as such a program. What should it
>be? POSIX compatible, for sure! Why not MINIX?
>
>Even better would be a new baby UNIX clone. The mechanisms UNIX V7 uses to
>handle multitasking, drivers and the like are unsexy, but they're well known.
>And they're pretty efficient on small systems: V7 on the PC was faster for
>some stuff than MS-DOS... MINIX, with its elegant structure, is slower.

I'd go along with that since one can make the process of booting from
one to the other OS look just like running any other program, and the
mtools package is available to access MSDOS files from a unix like system.

The only disadvantage I can see is that MSDOS users do in fact do multitasking
with Windows etc and it would be nice to be able to cut and paste to other
programs. Also it would be nice to let the users run their normal DOS
wordprocesser for message editing (though perhaps even that could be
kludged by a brilliant hack which switches OSes like saving RAM during
a power failure and then resuming).

Anyway, those things could be provided later, along with access for Macs
and just kept in mind by making the code even more modular than one might
otherwise, so that later DOS/Windows and Mac ports could share a lot of
modules. As long as the basic functionality can be implemented quicker
on a unix lookalike I would say go for it.

But can it? My understanding is that Coherent and Minix aren't going
to come down in price dramatically in the near future and adding USD
$100 to $150 to the cost of what users already have just isn't on.

If there was a freely available unix lookalike project with a firm
schedule to have something available in time for the "email engine"
project I'd be in favour of developing now on Coherent or Minix with
the intention of switching later. Or perhaps there could be some
special deal with Minix for a "binary only" licence to use on the
"email engine" only rather than as a full OS. (I'm not familiar
with Minix - care to check out that possibility?)

I get the impression from the traffic in Coherent and Minix groups
that developing such a project would be quite non-trivial and I'm
not aware of anything that looks promising on the horizon.

So I come back towards DOS as the initial platform but with modularization
etc planned towards future migration to a POSIX environment. Would be
DELIGHTED to change my mind if anybody can point to something freely available
now or soon with certainty.

BTW, another worry is just how difficult it would be to port available
unix code to the unix lookalike - seems to be quite a lot of work going
on with Minix and Coherent whereas I would prefer it to be dead easy.
Are 64K segments a major limitation? Anyway, this isn't critical since
no matter how awkward it is it can't be as bad as DOS!

>But I have to back Kent's comments on MS-DOS. Depending on it as a platform
>will just give use another Fidonet. If you're going to do that, why the
>hell not just start with Fido? It works, it's installed worldwide, and it's
>certainly cheap!

I think FidoNet software is an excellent solution for getting something
functioning immediately. But I'm not convinced it will scale up to
really large numbers of users with really small numbers of sysops. I'd
go for BinkleyTerm as a "Reliable Transfer Server" entirely replacing
UUCP or all the lower layers of OSI - especially as it is available in
source code and is ported to various non-MSDOS environments and is
nicely tuned for efficiency and world-wide use etc. That is a MAJOR
contribution from FidoNet. I would be inclined to port it even if
we did have a POSIX environment.

But the actual message editors and readers (and news transport and mail
routing software and expiry and utilities etc) strike me as rather kludgy.
Apart from wanting to add features like longer messages and
cross-posting and multiple destinations etc my main concern is that
you simply get stuck at some point as to the amount of work a
"sysop" has to do to keep things working. Most of the better stuff
isn't available with source code either.

>But X400 is an overly complex system. What's wrong with 16-bit clean RFC822?

Similar problem. RFC822 is designed for an environment in which there are
unix sysadmins available to fix problems. As well as providing some
nice extra features (which is relatively unimportant), the beauty of
X.400 is that it specifies EVERYTHING. That of course makes it look
"overly complex" (plus the specifications can be unnecessarily pedantic
and formal even when necessary).

While the pedantry is just a nuisance, the complexity is NECESSARY in
order to not have sysadmins who solve routing problems, clean out disk
space etc etc. If we start step by step from FidoNet or RFC822 to
achieve the level of automatic operation I believe is necessary then
we would be re-ionventing X.400 anyway. It IS complex to provide
RELIABLE mail and news, with guaranteed delivery or non-delivery
notices, no black holes, no disk space filling up etc etc.

Another aspect is that this is a big project which isn't going to happen
overnight and will require cooperation from a number of egotistical
software developers. It would be a nightmare trying to sort out conflicts
about what the specs should be, and how to reconcile differences between
independently developed modules and ports - just look at arguments that
go on within Usenet and FidoNet. Using X.400 specs takes advantage of
an immense amount of work that has been done to produce specs that
are unambiguous. (While still leaving plenty of work to do both
specifying what to implement at each stage, and porting existing code
or writing new code).

There is a steep learning curve, but it is worth it, and learning
X400 stuff will not be a waste of time for anybody's resume.

Perhaps this issue can be clarified in the course of examining
further requirements specs. e.g. Do we want GUARANTEED delivery
or non-delivery notification and if so, how can that be achieved?
What are the jobs a sysadmin spends time on as regards mail and
news, and how can they be eliminated?

--

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/26/91)

(James Hess) writes:

>of the U.S.-Mexican border.  A problem for many is the cost of the telephone
>line.  We hope to combine available software to enable people to log on,
>automatically download any new messages in the conferences they follow, then
>log off and hang up.  The messages could then be edited, replies written,
>followed by a log on and automated up-load.

Do what I used to do:

Get an AT&T 3b1.  It's a 68010 based machine.  Not fast, but it's UNIX
and will run B news.  It'll hold up to 3.5Mb of ram and talk on 3 serial
ports.  It can be easily hacked to use a large drive (check with
the .3b1 newsgroups).  You should be able to get a basic unit
for $1000 or so.

It may be slow, but it's solid, and it's UNIX.
--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)