[comp.admin.policy] Serial-port -> Parallel printer

rchattam@isis.cs.du.edu (King Chattam) (05/24/91)

Hi netters,
  I am administering a XENIX with 48 serial ports and single parallel port.
I have to connect 4 parallel printers (proprinter, Qume, Nec). Some of the
printers have only parallel ports. I do not have Logical connection or similar
converters. Is there a simple way I can connect a serial port of the computer
with a parallel printer? Can I try special "connector pins" to adapt the
parallel port of my printers? Any information will be appreciated.

rchattam@nyx.cs.du.edu

philh@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Phil Hutchinson) (05/25/91)

>>Is there a simple way I can connect a serial port of the computer
>>with a parallel printer?

Call BLACK BOX at (412)746-5565, this is their technical support line.
The have serial to parallel converters, pn GQ-PI015A, that have worked
for me.  My May 1990 catalog shows a price of $119 for this pn.

Phil Hutchinson

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (05/26/91)

In <1991May24.012750.11928@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu> rchattam@isis.cs.du.edu (King Chattam) writes:

>Hi netters,
>  I am administering a XENIX with 48 serial ports and single parallel port.
>I have to connect 4 parallel printers (proprinter, Qume, Nec). Some of the
>printers have only parallel ports. I do not have Logical connection or similar
>converters. Is there a simple way I can connect a serial port of the computer
>with a parallel printer? Can I try special "connector pins" to adapt the
>parallel port of my printers? Any information will be appreciated.

>rchattam@nyx.cs.du.edu

I generally use an Intellicom 16K serial->Parallel
buffer/converter.  It works well at 38.4 with hardware
handshaking and has jumpers for almost any cable configuration
you need.

I use these for graphics printing of faxes on laser printers with
much better results than using the parallel port.  The Xenix
drivers for the parallel port go sort of nuts during graphics
printing, slowing the system down significantly (Intel 303 386-33
with 64K cache), and have been know to trash the VGA somehow
requiring a reboot.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

terry@jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May24.012750.11928@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, rchattam@isis.cs.du.edu (King Chattam) writes:
> Is there a simple way I can connect a serial port of the computer
> with a parallel printer?

I believe companies such as Black Box make devices which will
convert serial to parallel and vice versa. Don't have a catalog
in front of me, but I would check a Black Box catalog or give
them a call.

|  Terry Linhardt      The Lafayette Group      uunet!jgaltstl!terry  |