[comp.admin.policy] Need info on computer acct policy

perera@athena.cs.uga.edu (Niranjan Perera) (05/28/91)

Hi,

I am a student who works part time as System Administrator. I am
intrested in gathering information which will help me setup a computer
account policy. Does anybody have any pointers to where one can get
any guidelines etc. Please be kind enough to email me. I  shall post a
summary.

thanks in advance,

--
Niranjan Perera               |     In the hands of a fool a little knowledge
perera@athena.cs.uga.edu      |                is very dangerous.

kadie@eff.org (Carl Kadie) (05/28/91)

perera@athena.cs.uga.edu (Niranjan Perera) writes:
[...]
>I am a student who works part time as System Administrator. I am
>intrested in gathering information which will help me setup a computer
>account policy. Does anybody have any pointers to where one can get
>any guidelines etc. Please be kind enough to email me. I  shall post a
>summary.
[...]

[This response is based on a note I wrote last week to the Computers
and Academic Freedom mailing list.]

    The user community, both faculty and student, should have a
    clearly defined means to participate in the formulation and
    application of computer and networking policy.

(This is just an instantiation of the general right of representation
promoted in the Joint Statement on Rights and Freedoms of Students and
guaranteed by the student codes of many univerities).

Most university computer policies seem to have been set down without
serious user participation. Are there exceptions? Has anyone respected
academic freedom (and possibly their own student code) and given users
a voice?

- Carl

--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@eff.org or kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- But I speak for myself.

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (05/28/91)

   Newsgroups: comp.admin.policy
   From: kadie@eff.org (Carl Kadie)
   Date: Tue, 28 May 1991 04:59:58 GMT

   Most university computer policies seem to have been set down without
   serious user participation. Are there exceptions? Has anyone respected
   academic freedom (and possibly their own student code) and given users
   a voice?

 At the end of this semester, we finally agreed to agree upon an
account policy.  This boiled down to me writing one up and bringing it
in front of the CS committee.  (Comprised of the 3 system admins
[Vax/Sun/PCs], the student rep, the 5 faculty members, and the lab
manager [handles student consultants, etc].)  It's just an
amalgamation of the various parts of policies from other schools (with
heavy influence from Boston University).  I'm gonna try to have our
school's lawyer[s] look it over before this fall, just to make sure
the language is right, and to make sure it doesn't overstep any bounds.

 I imagine (hope) that after maybe a semester of it being in place,
people will have comments or questions about certain parts of it.

 Only problem with that is that for the most part, signing such an
agreement is just par for the course, especially when you're being
blitzed by forms and a million new experiences (as most Freshmen are).
So the critiques of the policy will probably only come from the
Sophomores and higher.  Also, the number of people here that actually
would *care* about account rights is very low here. (This is both a
blessing and a curse.)

 We'll see how it goes.

Brendan
--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone

kadie@eff.org (Carl Kadie) (05/29/91)

[This is was send to me as e-mail. I am posting it with the author's
permission. The OCF Bylaws and Consitution (with a Bill of Rights)
are available via anonymous ftp from eff.org as files ocf.bylaws
and ocf.constitution (also see file README)  - Carl]

Subject: Re: Need info on computer acct policy
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 14:07:13 PDT
Sender: cgd@ocf.Berkeley.EDU

[kadie@eff.org writes: ]

> Most university computer policies seem to have been set down without
> serious user participation. Are there exceptions? Has anyone respected
> academic freedom (and possibly their own student code) and given users
> a voice?

I point to the OCF here at UC Berkeley.

With the exception of a faculty sponsor (who is actively non-involved 8),
we are completely student run.

We have a constitution, and under this constitution, the users of the
cluster (about 1500) can elect various managers, and, if the elected
managers do not perform as the users see fit, they can have the
managers removed and/or overturn their decisions.

There is a board of directors which is also elected that makes most
policy decisions, and can be removed/overridden by the general
membership as well.

One interesting point about the entire organization:
Though we publicize the various mettings heavily, and encourage
attendance and user interest/activity, there usually ends up
being less than 20 users at a given general meeting, and i think
that there are currently 6 users on the BoD.  Even though it's in
their interest to be involved and help make policy, the vast
majority of our users are simply interested in being able to get their
mail, read their news, use irc, or whatever, and are completely
uninterested in policy.  It seems that the people who are most
interested are those who *LEFT* the organization in all respects a
long time ago, and enjoy criticizing the flaws of the current elected
officers.

<sigh>

cgd
cgd@ocf.berkeley.edu
OCF {Staff, BoD}

From comp-academic-freedom-talk-request@eff.org Tue May 28 18:47:26 1991
From: comp-academic-freedom-talk-request@eff.org
To: comp-academic-freedom-talk
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 18:18:27 -0400
Sender: kadie (Carl Kadie)

[This is the Constitution of Berkeley's Open Computing Facility, an
organization that democratically manages computer resources for
thousands of users.]

                                The OCF Constitution

          As ratified or amended by votes of the OCF membership: 3 February
          1989

                                      Preamble

          We, the computer using community of the Berkeley  campus  of  the
          University   of  California,  provide  by  this  Constitution  an
          organization dedicated to the pursuit of obtaining  and  managing
          open  computing resources.  The intent of this organization is to
          provide an environment  where  no  member  of  Berkeley's  campus
          community is denied the computer resources he or she seeks.  This
          group's spirit can be traced directly to the former Undergraduate
          Computing  Facility,  however  this  organization's membership is
          much more widely open.  It is also the intent of  this  group  to
          appeal  to  all  members  of  the  Berkeley campus community with
          unsatisfied computing needs and to  provide  a  place  for  those
          interested  in  computing  to fully explore that interest.  It is
          the intention of this group that no small number of  people  ever
          control   the   accessibility  of  any  OCF  sponsored  computing
          facility.

                                      Articles

          1.  Name
          This organization shall be called the Open Computing Facility and
          may also be referred to as the OCF.

          2.  Members

              2.1.  General Membership
              Any UC Berkeley student, faculty or staff member  may  be  an
              OCF Member.

              2.2.  Active Members

                  2.2.1.  Eligibility
                  Active Membership status is restricted to  U.C.  Berkeley
                  Faculty and Staff and Registered Students.

                  2.2.2.  During General Meetings
                  Any member of the  OCF  shall  be  an  Active  Member  by
                  physical presence at an OCF General Meeting.

                                    May 28, 1991

                                                                          2

                  2.2.3.  Between General Meetings
                  Any OCF Member who has attended an OCF General Meeting in
                  either  this  semester  or  the one preceding shall be an
                  active member.

              2.3.  Inactive Members
              Any  OCF  Member  who  is  not  an  Active  Member  shall  be
              considered an Inactive Member.

          3.  Officers

              3.1.  Elected Officers

                  3.1.1.  Offices
                  The only elected offices are  General  Manager  and  Site
                  Manager(s).

                  3.1.2.  Eligibility
                  All elected officers must be Active Members.

                  3.1.3.  When Elected
                  The officers shall  be  elected  at  each  OCF  Elections
                  Meeting.

                  3.1.4.  Term Of Office
                  The  officers'  terms  shall  begin   immediately   after
                  election and last until the next election.

                  3.1.5.  Removal From Office
                  An officer shall be removed from office if, at a  General
                  Meeting, the members vote to remove him or her.

                  3.1.6.  Succession
                  If any elected position becomes vacant, a General Meeting
                  will be called to elect a replacement.

                  3.1.7.  General Manager Duties
                  The General Manager is the chief political and  executive
                  officer of the OCF and shall chair all meetings.

                  3.1.8.  Site Manager Duties
                  The Site  Manager  is  the  chief  system  manager  of  a
                  particular  installation  of computing equipment.  In the
                  absence of the General  Manager,  a  Site  Manager  shall
                  chair meetings.

              3.2.  Board of Directors

                  3.2.1.  Membership

                      3.2.1.1.  General Manager and Site Manager(s)
                      The General Manager and Site Manager are  ex  officio
                      members  of  the  Board and shall have no more and no
                      less power than any other member of the Board.

                                    May 28, 1991

                                                                          3

                      3.2.1.2.  Other Directors
                      Other  Directors  shall  be  appointed  and   removed
                      through the OCF Decision Making Process.

                  3.2.2.  Term Of Office
                  The term shall expire at the next Elections Meeting.

                  3.2.3.  Duties
                  Directors shall normally be responsible for the creation,
                  implementation  and  discussion  of  the  majority of OCF
                  actions.  Also the Board shall review all of the  actions
                  of   the   General   Manager  and  Site  Manager  at  its
                  discretion.

              3.3.  Interim Manager
              When the OCF is not formally in session, or  any  other  time
              when  there  is a temporary vacancy in an elected office, the
              OCF Decision Making  Process  shall  designate  a  member  or
              members to see to it that the OCF functions properly.

          4.  Meetings
          The OCF is formally in session during the Fall Semester  and  the
          Spring Semester.  This is the only time General Meetings can take
          place.  The OCF is informally in session between  the  semesters.
          During  this  time  the Faculty Sponsors and the Interim Managers
          are responsible for the functioning of the OCF.

              4.1.  General Meetings
              The OCF Decision Making Process can call a General Meeting at
              any time.  When possible, one weeks notice shall be given.

                  4.1.1.  Election Meetings
                  The Elections Meeting shall, in this order,  approve  the
                  Faculty  Sponsors,  elect  the General Manager, elect the
                  Site Managers, appoint Directors and  then  consider  new
                  business.

                      4.1.1.1.  Fall Meeting
                      The  OCF  shall  meet  during  the  week  immediately
                      preceding Thanksgiving.

                      4.1.1.2.  Spring Meeting
                      The OCF shall meet during the second  week  following
                      Spring Break.

                  4.1.2.  Special General Meetings

                      4.1.2.1.  How Called
                      Ten OCF members can call a  Special  General  Meeting
                      when the normal process for calling a General Meeting
                      is not feasible.

                                    May 28, 1991

                                                                          4

                      4.1.2.2.  Procedure
                      These ten members must notify the General Manager  if
                      possible,  provide  prominent  public  notice  of the
                      meeting at least one week beforehand and must try  to
                      contact all members of the OCF.

              4.2.  Voting

                  4.2.1.  Elections and General Meetings Quorum
                  By definition a quorum exists at these meetings.

                      4.2.1.1.  Special General Meetings
                      Quorum consists of 25% of all Active Members prior to
                      the meeting.

                  4.2.2.  Board Meetings
                  Quorum consists of 3/4 of the Board of Directors or  five
                  Board members, whichever is greater.

                  4.2.3.  Procedure

                      4.2.3.1.  Election of Officers
                      The election of officers shall be by  secret  ballot.
                      A  simple  majority of those casting votes (including
                      abstaining votes) is required. If on the first ballot
                      no  candidate  receives a simple majority, then there
                      will be a runoff between the top two candidates.  The
                      voting  will  continue until one candidate receives a
                      simple majority.

                      4.2.3.2.  Other Votes
                      All other votes require a simple majority to pass.

                      4.2.3.3.  Proxy
                      An OCF Member must be present at a meeting to vote.

          5.  Faculty Sponsors
          The OCF Faculty Sponsors shall consist of  a  faculty  member  or
          faculty  members who are dedicated to the functioning of the OCF.
          These Faculty Sponsors shall be selected  by  the  OCF  Board  of
          Directors  and  shall  be  subject to selection by the OCF at the
          Elections Meeting.

          6.  The OCF Decision Making Process

              6.1.  Faculty Sponsors
              The Faculty Sponsor or Faculty Sponsors shall  have  ultimate
              authority  over  any  OCF  actions  except for constitutional
              amendments and the approval of the Faculty Sponsors.

              6.2.  OCF Membership
              The OCF Active Membership shall have authority over  any  OCF
              actions except where such action conflicts with Article 6.1.

                                    May 28, 1991

                                                                          5

              6.3.  OCF Board of Directors
              The OCF Board of Directors shall have authority over any  OCF
              actions  except where such action conflicts with Articles 6.1
              and 6.2.

              6.4.  OCF General Manager
              The OCF General Manager shall have  authority  over  any  OCF
              actions except where such action conflicts with Articles 6.1,
              6.2 and 6.3.

              6.5.  OCF Site Managers
              OCF Site Managers shall have authority over any  OCF  actions
              except  where  such  action conflicts with Articles 6.1, 6.2,
              6.3 and 6.4.

          7.  Bill of Rights

              7.1.  Nondiscrimination
              The OCF shall not discriminate in any way against any  person
              by  race,  color,  religion, marital status, national origin,
              sex, age, sexual  orientation,  handicap,  college  major  or
              political activity.

              7.2.  Hazing
              The OCF shall not haze, in accordance with  California  state
              law.

              7.3.  Grievance
              Any individual who has a grievance with the OCF  shall  first
              contact  the  General  Manager.  He or she may then appeal to
              the Faculty Sponsors and then finally to  the  University  of
              California through established channels.

              7.4.  Conduct
              All  users  of  OCF  managed  facilities  shall  comply  with
              University   of  California  regulations,  including  the  UC
              Berkeley Student Conduct Code and any OCF regulations.

              7.5.  Freedom of Information
              All official OCF documents must  be  provided  to  interested
              parties  without undue delay and the OCF may not charge above
              cost to do so.

              7.6.  Privacy
              Individuals' rights of privacy shall not be violated  without
              reasonable cause.

              7.7.  Rights Not Enumerated
              The enumeration in this Constitution of certain rights  shall
              not  be  construed to deny or disparage other rights retained
              by individuals.

                                    May 28, 1991

                                                                          6

          8.  Amendments and Bylaws

              8.1.  Amendments

                  8.1.1.  Process
                  A  proposed  amendment  to  the  Constitution   must   be
                  presented  for consideration at a General Meeting. If the
                  Membership votes to further consider  the  amendment,  it
                  shall be open for voting for a review period, of not less
                  than two weeks.  Voting  in  this  case  may  be  through
                  electronic  or  physical  means.  A  2/3  majority of all
                  Active Members is required for approval.

                  8.1.2.  Annotation
                  Whenever this Constitution is amended, an  annotation  of
                  the  date of ratification shall be added to the beginning
                  of this document and shall be further  noted  immediately
                  following the new amendment.

                  8.1.3.  ASUC Records
                  All amendments, additions, or  deletions  must  be  filed
                  with  the  ASUC Student Affairs Office within one week of
                  adoption, and must be in consonance  with  University  of
                  California and ASUC regulations and policies.

              8.2.  Bylaws
              Bylaws may be created or modified as needed, through the  OCF
              Decision Making Process.

          9.  Dissolution
          The assets of the OCF  constitute  a  continuing  trust  for  the
          benefit   of   all  members  of  the  Berkeley  campus  community
          interested in open computing facilities.  In  the  event  of  the
          dissolution  of  the  OCF  for whatever reason, the assets, after
          payment or adequate provision  for  payment  of  all  outstanding
          debts  and  obligations of the OCF shall be transferred to a non-
          profit fund, foundation or corporation  which  is  organized  and
          operated  exclusively  for  the  purposes  for  which the OCF was
          founded.  All unspent ASUC funds shall remain the property of the
          ASUC.

                                    May 28, 1991

From comp-academic-freedom-talk-request@eff.org Tue May 28 18:47:27 1991
From: comp-academic-freedom-talk-request@eff.org
To: comp-academic-freedom-talk
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 18:24:43 -0400
Sender: kadie (Carl Kadie)
Subject: Need info on computer acct policy

[These are the Bylaws of Berkeley's Open Computing Facility, an
organization that democratically manages computer resources for
thousands of users. - Carl]

                     Bylaws of the OCF.

1.   The  General  Manager  and  the  Site  Managers  cannot
     appoint directors except when the OCF is not in session
     and the Board of Directors cannot make a quorum because
     there are fewer than five directors in town.

2.   The OCF Board of Directors shall meet weekly.

3.   Any  Director   missing   two   consecutive   regularly
     scheduled  meetings  will  be  removed  from the Board,
     regardless of whether the meetings achieve quorum.

4.   OCF Board meetings must be announced to  all  Directors
     at least twenty-four hours in advance.

5.   Resolutions by the Board of Directors can be put  to  a
     vote  electronically.  When putting a resolution to the
     Board  in  this  manner,  all  Board  members  must  be
     included  in  the  request for votes.  To pass an issue
     this way, at least half of all the Board  members  must
     agree.   If  the  motion  fails  to  achieve a majority
     within seventy-two hours of  being  called  to  such  a
     vote,  the  motion fails.  The results of the vote will
     be posted in role call form.

6.   Attendance lists and minutes for all OCF meetings shall
     be  maintained  for the decisions of that meeting to be
     valid.

                        May 28, 1991

From cgd@ocf.Berkeley.EDU Tue May 28 18:48:14 1991
To: kadie@eff.org (Carl Kadie)
Cc: cgd@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 14:07:13 PDT
From: cgd@ocf.Berkeley.EDU

From cgd@ocf.Berkeley.EDU Tue May 28 18:48:14 1991
To: kadie@eff.org (Carl Kadie)
Cc: cgd@ocf.Berkeley.EDU, cgd@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 14:22:33 PDT
From: cgd@ocf.Berkeley.EDU

yes, you can share it...

if you'd like more info, i can send a copy of our constitution and bylaws, and
such, as well.

cgd
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@eff.org or kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- But I speak for myself.