[comp.admin.policy] Local Internet access

kadie@eff.org (Carl M. Kadie) (06/08/91)

[Reposted with permission of the author - Carl]

From: sbrack
Just another expatriate MAGNUS user...  8)
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 15:03:41 EDT

csmith writes:
> sbrack writes:
>
> >         Seriously, if you want to know interesting facts about magnus &
> >         Ohio State, e-mail me.
>
> We're listening ...  <grin>

        Well, I had an account on HPUXA, OSU's predecessor to MAGNUS.
        I had news & mail access, along with a UNIX command shell.
        It was much like having my own UNIX box.  I could write & run
        programs on it, I could up- & down-load files from all over the
        world (through the InterNet), & I could gain experience in how
        large machine operating systems work.

        I made two mistakes.  First, I ran a command called "fixman,"
        which I, by default, had permission to run.  This command
        reformatted the manual pages (like help files) on HPUXA.  I
        thought it only worked on my manual pages, but the command
        instead reformatted the manual pages for the entire system.
        OSU was not pleased 8).  I had a meeting wherein I basically
        agreed not to do it again, & to only run a small selection
        of commands.

        I did that.  But, I got into trouble on news.  HPUXA recieves
        about the same news groups that bluemoon does.  They cut out
        some groups, like alt.sex.pictures, but the pretty much allow
        a large number of news groups.  Well, I was having an argument
        with a man in alt.flame.  He posted an article to a group
        called control (which is where cancel messages & other news
        "control" messages are supposed to go.)  I posted a followup
        to that article.  What I did not notice until too late was that
        the author of the original article had set followups to go to
        3 or 4 completely inappropriate newsgroups.  My followup contained
        some "not so polite" language, & OSU's systems people received
        e-mail about my crossposted article.  When I finally heard whwt
        had happened, my account had been suspended, so I couldn't even
        cancel my original article.

        I had another meeting.  This time I was told I would not be
        getting my account back.  Period.  No dicussion at all.
        So, I was just a little bit upset that I had lost my account
        over a prank pulled by someone half-a-continent away.  I
        posted an article in news.admin, from another InterNet account
        I had at Ohio State, detailing what had happened, & asking their
        opinions.  I thanked those that agreed with me (my e-mail ran
        about 10 to 1 in my favor), & attempted to persuade those that
        didn't to my point of view.  Owing to several less-than-scrupulous
        people, the discussion degenerated into a flame war.  I was called
        "an ME freshman who thinks he has the world by the sensitive
         appendages" by Karl Klienpaste, OSU's resident net.god.  That
        was not exactly the epitome of proper conduct, but because of his
        reputation, he was allowed to get away with it.  Shortly
        thereafter, I realized it was a losing battle, packed it in, &
        left the debate in news.admin.  At about the same time, I was
        denied access to my engineering workstation account, which I had
        been using for news & mail, as well as classwork.  Not having
        access to that account would have made it impossible to pass
        my engineering course.

        I got that account back, after calling everyone from my prof to
        the Dean of the college of Engineering.  We finally agreed that
        I could have my account back, provided I did not access news or
        mail, or any other "non-class-related" fuctions, from that
        account.  I didn't, & instead started using bluemoon for mail
        & news.  (No FTP or telnet, though 8()

        OSU's people have harrassed my friends who were using (with my
        permission) my account at Denver University.  These people jumped
        to the conclusion that I was using these accounts, rather than
        simply letting others do so.  OSU suspended three of my friends
        acounts, & sent a letter "warning" about me to another.

        If you wish to get Ohio State's perspective on this matter,
        you may write to the parties involved on the OSU side:

        Bob Dixon               rdixon@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
        Bill Miller            bmiller@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
        Clifford Collins      ccollins@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
        Bob DeBula                bobd@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
        Karl Kleinpaste           karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu

        I guarantee that they won't have anything good to say about me,
        but their responding to what I say about the situation is the
        only way those of you who are interested can gain an unbiased
        view of the situation.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Steven S. Brack                             The Ohio State University |
|"I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death for  |
|                      your right to say it."                           |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@eff.org or kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- But I speak for myself.

alden@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Dave Alden) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun8.164215.10572@eff.org> kadie@eff.org (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>[Reposted with permission of the author - Carl]
>
>From: sbrack
>Just another expatriate MAGNUS user...  8)
>Date: Tue, 04 Jun 91 15:03:41 EDT
>
>        I made two mistakes.  First, I ran a command called "fixman,"
>        which I, by default, had permission to run.  This command
>        reformatted the manual pages (like help files) on HPUXA.  I
>        thought it only worked on my manual pages, but the command
>        instead reformatted the manual pages for the entire system.
>        OSU was not pleased 8).  I had a meeting wherein I basically
>        agreed not to do it again, & to only run a small selection
>        of commands.

Interesting how you make yourself look like such an angel in this posting.
I've been told that your attitude towards ACS on both of these issues was
along the line of "the system let me do it, so I must be allowed to do it
and I shouldn't get in trouble for it", only you weren't so polite in your
dealings with them.

>        Owing to several less-than-scrupulous people, the discussion
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope you include yourself in this statement - because many others do.

>        degenerated into a flame war.  I was called
>        "an ME freshman who thinks he has the world by the sensitive
>         appendages" by Karl Klienpaste, OSU's resident net.god.

Hmm - you made several WRONG statements about Karl, you were asked (by
several people) to prove these statements and you never came up with
proof - instead you "...packed it in and left the debate in news.admin."
Funny - I'd call it "put my tail between my legs and ran".

>        At about the same time, I was
>        denied access to my engineering workstation account, which I had
>        been using for news & mail, as well as classwork.  Not having
>        access to that account would have made it impossible to pass
>        my engineering course.

Going on what you've said so far I would agree with you that this was unfair.
I'm happy to hear that you were able to get your account back.  BTW, what was
their excuse for pulling your account in the first place?

...dave