[comp.admin.policy] excuses for violating people's rights

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (06/08/91)

What I keep reading here reminds me of the studies of honesty at the
work-place.  Billions of dollars are alleged by managers to have been
stolen in the form of pens, pencils, etc every year.  When the employees
are interviewed about their views on the subject the answer always comes
out to the effect that they (a) didn't realize they were not supposed to be
able to help themselves or (b) that they are just using it as a means to
recieve the compensation due them but not otherwise provided.  I.e. they
find some rationalization (looking at it from the point of view of the
manager).

That's what I keep reading here.  Administrators keep saying, "Well, I
never get into people's files.... unless I really feel like it would be
more convenient to do so than the alternatives available."  Then there's
"People have a right to free speech, except when they say something I don't
like."

jgreely@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun8.025350.10510@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu
 (John Otto) writes:
>That's what I keep reading here.  Administrators keep saying, "Well, I
>never get into people's files.... unless I really feel like it would be
>more convenient to do so than the alternatives available."

I must have missed that article.  Which one was it?

			"Psychosomatic creativity!  Ingenious!"

				"And cheaper."
--
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

leonard@qiclab.scn.rain.com (Leonard Erickson) (06/10/91)

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) writes:

>That's what I keep reading here.  Administrators keep saying, "Well, I
>never get into people's files.... unless I really feel like it would be
>more convenient to do so than the alternatives available."  Then there's
>"People have a right to free speech, except when they say something I don't
>like."

Well, sorry if you don't like it, but there *are* legitimate reasons for
going file prowling. I just spent *hours* prowling thru people's files.
We upgraded a server, and the volume names got consolidated. So I had
to grep thru BAT & PRG files to find all references to the old names. Then
I took the result list and examined *those* files to see if they really
needed changing.

Nothing else was touched. But Monday morning, 99% of the *work* related
applications that are the whole reason for the server will work correctly.
And we'll be able to spare the time to help with the stuff that slipped
by us.

A more "questionable" "search" will be when we get the policy published
regarding pirated software. The we *will* be searching every directory
on every machine and server for illegal copies of software. Sounds draconian,
doesn't it? Well, the court cases show that the *company* will be held
liable if we don't.

But normally, I only see a user's directory if they ask me for help with
something.
--
Leonard Erickson			leonard@qiclab.uucp
personal:	CIS: [70465,203]	70465.203@compuserve.com