[comp.admin.policy] Should we let students run COPS to get each other's passwords?

db@argon.Eng.Sun.COM (David Brownell) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.141657.29238@athena.cs.uga.edu>
	mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

> A few people here have been advocating the strange idea that UNIX users
> have a moral right to obtain each other's passwords using COPS.

Actually, I didn't read their comments that way.  I read them as
criticisms of a prior restraint policy, which prejudged those
users as "guilty" of some unspecified (but dire) crime.

The subject line is curious ... it addresses "students" as if they
are different from the "users" discussed in the rest of the note.
A University official might be able to claim that she was acting
in loco parentis for SOME students; not for all, and at many sites
not even enough to support this as general rationale.

If your site wants to make password guessing attacks difficult,
it should use shadow (adjunct) password files, and require users
to change their passwords relatively frequently.

> (3) Do users of our computer have a basic civil right to run any software
> they want to?

Depends.  If they entered a contract with your organization in which
they explicitly gave up such a right, they may not have one.  The only
laws I know about pertain to actually causing damage.  Your example
is prior restraint of behaviour that in itself is not damaging.

In educational environments I'm familiar with, there are multiple
kinds of accounts on timesharing systems ... some have restrictions
like "class work only", some have no restrictions, and some are
for "educational" use.  Only that "class work only" restriction
precludes students running cryptanalysis programs; and if they were
taking a cryptography course, not even then.

I think it's quite appropriate that students explore social issues like
"how do the social values and social costs of providing various kinds
of security differ in this computer system?".  They learn a lot when
they notice that "security" means different things to different people,
what the hot buttons are for different personality types, and that
there's often an asymmetric cost/benefit matrix.  If not in school,
when are they allowed to start finding these things out?

Also, it strikes me as counterproductive to claim (one side of the
mouth) that your computer is secure, and also (other side of mouth)
that your user community should not be able to evaluate those claims
for itself.  "Trust me, I'm from the government."  No thanks.

- Dave

#include <std/disclaimer.h>