[comp.admin.policy] Cutting excessive student use of printer pape

bkottmann@falcon.aamrl.wpafb.af.mil (Brett Kottmann) (06/22/91)

In article <Jun.19.14.27.43.1991.26118@aramis.rutgers.edu>, pirmann@aramis.rutgers.edu (David Pirmann) writes:
> There was a discussion here at Rutgers a while back on how to prevent
> non-comp sci students from using computer science equipment.  Currently
> the unattended Macintosh labs have dot matrix printers which are
> inadequate for the needs.  To install laser printers in an unattended lab
> would mean that non-comp-sci students would use them as word processing
> stations and comp sci students would have to wait.

	There are devices that hook up to laser printers that allow them to
work like photocopiers.  The student puts in a "copy card" --which is also used
in campus copy machines, that deducts $0.0x cents for each page (currently 8
cents, I believe, making it 1-2 higher than photocopying).

	The laser is then hooked up to one Mac.  The students can do their work
anywhere, but must bring it to that machine to print out.  The imagewriters are
still free.

	This was done because of excessive abuse (resumes, ads, maps, etc.
being printed).

	If you want more info, you can contact the Mac person directly at

vsmith@wsu.bitnet
or
vsmith@desire.wright.edu

Brett
The opinions and views expressed here are strictly my own and do not
necessarily reflect the official position of either the U.S. Air Force
or its contractors.
=====================DO=NOT=REMOVE=TAG=UNDER=PENALTY=OF=LAW===:)================