[comp.admin.policy] Who do I complain to about improper use?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/19/91)

I've started to get junk email from vendors who are mailing to
various user group list.

Their from address doesn't seem to exist.

Who do I complain to?  This is an obviously blatant violation of NSF
net work policies.  Plus, it's pretty damn annoying.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/22/91)

In article <3784@happym.WA.COM> Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com writes:
>In <1991Jun19.165827.17112@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>>I've started to get junk email from vendors who are mailing to
>>various user group list.
>         ^^^^       ^^^^^
>>Their from address doesn't seem to exist.
> ^^^^^ ^^^^
>>Who do I complain to?  This is an obviously blatant violation of NSF
>>net work policies.  Plus, it's pretty damn annoying.
> ^^^^^^^^                              ^^^^
[...]
>Second, you learn the language of the country you are visiting,
>before posting vulgarities, grammatical errors, etc.

I know this is a joke posting, but keep in mind that USNET
is not the real world.  In the real world, I have a BA Journalism
and was editor-in-chief for a small newspaper.

>Well, fellow netter, I hope you realize that this followup is in
>jest, yet it is also serious in its way.

You missed the entire point of my original message.  I was talking
about junk email over NSF networks, not junk USENET posts.
I know USENET != Internet. (As a matter of fact, I spent an hour on the
phone with `Tailgunner' Joe Abernathy trying to explain to him that very fact.)

--

ben@wri.com (Ben Cox) (06/22/91)

In <3784@happym.WA.COM> Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com writes:

>First, you stop feeling superior to others, which you are not.

Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

-- Ben Cox
   ben@wri.com

georgerj@motcid.UUCP (Richard J. George) (06/22/91)

Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com writes:

>                                                ...  but you
>made too many stupid errors to be a native.  ...

Pray, tell me where this mystical country is where the natives
don't make too many stupid errors :-)

RJG

dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.180803.24966@menudo.uh.edu>,
	jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:

   In article <3784@happym.WA.COM> Irving_Wolfe@happym.wa.com writes:
   >In <1991Jun19.165827.17112@menudo.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
   >>I've started to get junk email from vendors who are mailing to
   >>various user group list.
   >         ^^^^       ^^^^^
   >>Their from address doesn't seem to exist.
   > ^^^^^ ^^^^
   >>Who do I complain to?  This is an obviously blatant violation of NSF
   >>net work policies.  Plus, it's pretty damn annoying.
   > ^^^^^^^^                              ^^^^
   [...]
   >Second, you learn the language of the country you are visiting,
   >before posting vulgarities, grammatical errors, etc.

   I know this is a joke posting, but keep in mind that USNET
   is not the real world.  In the real world, I have a BA Journalism
   and was editor-in-chief for a small newspaper.

[more pointless bickering]
   --
   J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
   Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)

As far as I'm concerned, junk mail in your electronic mail box is
pretty much like junk mail in your real mail box -- annoying as hell,
likely to make me avoid the vendor, but not something I'd make
illegal.

--
David G. Paschich	Open Computing Facility		UC Berkeley
dpassage@ocf.berkeley.edu

In article <DPASSAGE.91Jun21120033@soda.berkeley.edu> dpassage@soda.berkeley.edu (David G. Paschich) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.180803.24966@menudo.uh.edu>,
>	jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) writes:
>
>I think the last line of Mr. Townsend's .sig is pretty ironic.  He's
>complaining about commercial postings to mailing lists while at the
>same time running a mailing list devoted to a single product.

Hey, I'm also on the sun-managers mailing list.  Tons of vendor-specific
information get shoved around in the name of research.  There's
a big difference between "How do I make an <x> do <foo>?" and
"Today and today only, RAM for only $39 a Megabyte!  Call now!"