[comp.admin.policy] Canceling someone else's article

imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) (05/29/91)

Take a look in rec.games.trivial.<12520@uwm.edu>.

I really wanted to cancel this article, but I didn't.  So this brought
to mind the following question:

	When, if ever, is it ethically OK to cancel an article posted
	by someone else?

Warner
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
But there's no need for turning back cus all roads lead to where I stand.

In article <1991May28.200304.25371@solbourne.com> imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) writes:

>Take a look in rec.games.trivial.<12520@uwm.edu>.

 For that matter, take a look at a bunch of other articles with message-id
ending in 'uwm.edu>'.  The same jerk posted to multiple groups.

>I really wanted to cancel this article, but I didn't.  So this brought
>to mind the following question:

  So did I.  But I wrote an email complaint to {usenet,Postmaster}@uwm.edu
instead.  I haven't seen any action or response though.

>	When, if ever, is it ethically OK to cancel an article posted
>	by someone else?

 Not wanting to destroy the evidence of a possible illegality, I just made
the local copies I could find publically unreadable.

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115                                   +1-815-753-6940

wjb@cogsci (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.200304.25371@solbourne.com> imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) writes:

>Take a look in rec.games.trivial.<12520@uwm.edu>.

	Couldn't find it on my system...

>I really wanted to cancel this article, but I didn't.  So this brought
>to mind the following question:
>
>	When, if ever, is it ethically OK to cancel an article posted
>	by someone else?

1. When you are the purported author of the article and it is
	in fact a forgery.

2. If you are the moderator of a newsgroup and someone forges an
	"Approved:" header in order to post to the newsgroup.

3. When the original author of the article is incapable of doing
	so and asks you to do so.

	The following might be reasonable...

1. When you are the administrator of the site on which the posting
	originated, and you believe it to be illegal or a forgery for some
	reason.  Preferably you would contact the original author and have
	them do so.

Basically, I don't think you should ever cancel someone else's article.  In
particular, the content (unless illegal) is not germane.  Even when you
think it is illegal, I'm not sure that you should cancel it.  Removing it
from your system and making sure that you don't forward it on should
(hopefully) eliminate any liability that you might be concerned about.  You
may not know the circumstances of the posting and it may in fact be legal.
If you leave the entry in your history file, it will be discarded if you
receive it again from another newsfeed.  Of course, flaming er, "contacting"
the original author is a time honored USENET tradition...

				Bill Bogstad

BTW, Postings from "thor@valhalla.mil" are not "forgeries"...

sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke) (05/29/91)

   Date: 28 May 91 20:03:04 GMT
	   When, if ever, is it ethically OK to cancel an article posted
	   by someone else?

I would think that if the article realy should of been stopped and it
got posted that the poster would get enough flames.  But if the posed
wan canceled that that person will never learn his lesson and may post
a bad post again.

--
sven@cs.widener.edu                                  Widener CS system manager
Sven Mike Heinicke                                          and Student

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (05/29/91)

From article <1991May28.203704.5535@mp.cs.niu.edu>, by rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
> In article <1991May28.200304.25371@solbourne.com> imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) writes:
>>
>>Take a look in rec.games.trivial.<12520@uwm.edu>.
>  For that matter, take a look at a bunch of other articles with message-id
> ending in 'uwm.edu>'.  The same jerk posted to multiple groups.
>
>>I really wanted to cancel this article, but I didn't.  So this brought
>>to mind the following question:

I wouldn't have minded if you did.

>   So did I.  But I wrote an email complaint to {usenet,Postmaster}@uwm.edu
> instead.  I haven't seen any action or response though.

Hey, Neil!  Give us a break, eh?  :-)   Your message came in over
lunch break -- and it _does_ take a _little_ time to process these
things.  (Your e-mail message arrived here at 1759 GMT, I answered it
at 1843 GMT.)

>>When, if ever, is it ethically OK to cancel an article posted	by someone else?
>
>  Not wanting to destroy the evidence of a possible illegality, I just made
> the local copies I could find publically unreadable.

Anyway, here's the story.  A "newbie" user posted the article.  He
has been 'instructed' that this is Not Good.  He has also learned
how to cancel his own articles!   In addition to having a simmering
(nay, boiling) mailbox, he has had the Fear of the Lord put into him
by all you kind people who sent him gentle missives.  :-)

["Put him behind bars!"   "Deep fry him!"  My, my, my... such gentle
persuasions you folks suggest.  :-)]

It took a little while for the cancels to be sent out as he had a)
to learn how to do it, and b) do it from the two machines the articles
were posted from.  (Seems like rn [or whatever] is a little picky about
ensuring the cancel is being done by the original poster.  We don't
want people _forging_ cancel messages now, do we?  :-) )

On our local systems, all the offending messages are gone -- as far
as I can tell.  The cancel messages are on their way to the outside
world, so stay calm.

Here is the list of groups the person told me he sent the message to:

	   general
	   uwm.general
	   milw.general
	   wi.general
	 * news.annouce.important
	   news.misc
	   news.newsites
	   news.stargate
	 * comp.archives
	   comp.mail.misc
	   comp.mail.elm
	   rec.gambling
	 # alt.cult.movies
	   rec.aviation
	   sci.electronics
	   sci.misc
	   rec.music.misc
	   comp.terminals
	   comp.periphs
	 * news.lists
	   rec.games.trivia
	   rec.games.misc
	   rec.misc
	   soc.misc
	   soc.college

	* - moderated groups -- presumably the moderator will
	    kill the posting.

	# - This may or may not be his spelling.  Anyway, no
	    offending message in this group (alt.cult-movies) either.

If there are any we missed, feel free to zap them on sight -- but
please send me a note indicating what the additional group is.

Thanks, and sorry for the annoyance.
--
John G Dobnick  (JGD2) -- News Janitor
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (05/29/91)

From article <SVEN.91May28183105@shirley.cs.widener.edu>, by sven@cs.widener.edu (Sven Heinicke):

> I would think that if the article realy should of been stopped and it
> got posted that the poster would get enough flames.  But if the posed
> wan canceled that that person will never learn his lesson and may post
> a bad post again.

Oh, he got *F*L*A*M*E*D* all right.  From all sides.  We have a very
contrite user here at the moment.

--
John G Dobnick  (JGD2) -- News Janitor
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
INTERNET: jgd@uwm.edu                      ATTnet: (414) 229-5727
UUCP: uunet!uwm!jgd

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (05/29/91)

When should someone else's article be cancelled?

From article <28.May.91.165820.60@cogsci.cog.jhu.edu>, by <somebody>:
> 1. When you are the administrator of the site on which the posting
> 	originated, and you believe it to be illegal or a forgery for some
> 	reason.  Preferably you would contact the original author and have
> 	them do so.

[Which is what happened in this case -- contacted user and had him
cancel his own stuff.  An "educational" procedure, if you will.]

> Basically, I don't think you should ever cancel someone else's article.  In
> particular, the content (unless illegal) is not germane.  Even when you
> think it is illegal, I'm not sure that you should cancel it.  Removing it
> from your system and making sure that you don't forward it on should
> (hopefully) eliminate any liability that you might be concerned about.  You
> may not know the circumstances of the posting and it may in fact be legal.
> If you leave the entry in your history file, it will be discarded if you
> receive it again from another newsfeed.  Of course, flaming er, "contacting"
> the original author is a time honored USENET tradition...

[Which was more than upheld in this instance.  :-) :-)]

randy@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (05/29/91)

imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) writes:

> 	When, if ever, is it ethically OK to cancel an article posted
> 	by someone else?

When it is illegal material, i.e. credit card numbers, ...
--
randy@psg.com  ..!uunet!m2xenix!randy

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (05/29/91)

In article <12569@uwm.edu>, jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:

>Anyway, here's the story.  A "newbie" user posted the article.  He
>has been 'instructed' that this is Not Good.  He has also learned
>how to cancel his own articles!   In addition to having a simmering
>(nay, boiling) mailbox, he has had the Fear of the Lord put into him
>by all you kind people who sent him gentle missives.  :-)
>
>["Put him behind bars!"   "Deep fry him!"  My, my, my... such gentle
>persuasions you folks suggest.  :-)]

Could somebody please describe `the article', for those who missed it?

>If there are any we missed, feel free to zap them on sight -- but
>please send me a note indicating what the additional group is.

Kinda hard, unless you know what to look for.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

dfs@doe.carleton.ca (David F. Skoll) (05/29/91)

In <1991May29.120232.16294@cs.utk.edu> de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) writes:

>Could somebody please describe `the article', for those who missed it?

It was a chain letter asking for money - you know, the "send $5 to the top
person on the list and put your name on the bottom" scam.

I mailed back a copy of the letter to the poster with my name in all 10
positions.

I haven't received any money yet, but I'm hoping...

--
David F. Skoll

In article <12569@uwm.edu> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>From article <1991May28.203704.5535@mp.cs.niu.edu>, by rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
>> In article <1991May28.200304.25371@solbourne.com> imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) writes:
>>>I really wanted to cancel this article, but I didn't.  So this brought
>>>to mind the following question:
>
>>   So did I.  But I wrote an email complaint to {usenet,Postmaster}@uwm.edu
>> instead.  I haven't seen any action or response though.
>
>Hey, Neil!  Give us a break, eh?  :-)   Your message came in over
>lunch break -- and it _does_ take a _little_ time to process these
>things.  (Your e-mail message arrived here at 1759 GMT, I answered it
>at 1843 GMT.)

 I guess one has to be REALLY careful about what one says.  I suppose, in
retrospect, I should have added a 'yet' to the end of my sentence on not
having seen a response.  Still, if I had added a 'yet' this would have
suggested I was complaining.  My intention was only to report an alternative
to cancelling an article that originated elsewhere.

 In terms of time, I wrote to you at 1758 GMT.  My posting was at 20:37 GMT.
I saw the first cancellation at 20:47 GMT, with a posting date of 20:43
GMT.  Other cancellations trickled through in the afternoon.

 In general, this was handled well by uwm.edu.  I am gratified that my letter
was "answered at 1843 GMT".  Unfortunately I still have not seen this answer.
If I had seen it by the time of my earlier posting, I am sure my wording
would have been different.

jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) (05/30/91)

In article <12570@uwm.edu> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu writes:
"
"Oh, he got *F*L*A*M*E*D* all right.  From all sides.  We have a very
"contrite user here at the moment.
"

Thats a shame. Some people just don't know how to handle flamers. If
he got harassing e-mail, he should contact the sender's sysop and the
feed site of the system from which the posting came.

He should respond to his flamers and let them know that he has a RIGHT
to post anything he wants. How do we solve this problem: Post flames
in public newsgroups against the offender and also put him in your
system-wide kill file.

People who own the machines on this network have the right to determine
what stuff they allow to be stored on their hard drives. On the other
hand, NO ONE has the right to tell anyone what they can and cannot post.

PERIOD..................

--
CAT-TALK Conferencing System   |  "Buster Bunny is an abused | E-MAIL:
+1 313 343 0800 (USR HST)      |   child. Trust me - I'm a   | jp@Michigan.COM

jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (05/30/91)

From article <1991May29.150925.6793@mp.cs.niu.edu>, by rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
> In article <12569@uwm.edu> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>>From article <1991May28.203704.5535@mp.cs.niu.edu>, by rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
>>
>>>   So did I.  But I wrote an email complaint to {usenet,Postmaster}@uwm.edu
>>> instead.  I haven't seen any action or response though.
>>
>>Hey, Neil!  Give us a break, eh?  :-)   Your message came in over
>>lunch break -- and it _does_ take a _little_ time to process these
>>things.  (Your e-mail message arrived here at 1759 GMT, I answered it
>>at 1843 GMT.)
>
>  I guess one has to be REALLY careful about what one says.  I suppose, in
> retrospect, I should have added a 'yet' to the end of my sentence on not
> having seen a response.  Still, if I had added a 'yet' this would have
> suggested I was complaining.  My intention was only to report an alternative
> to cancelling an article that originated elsewhere.

Yeah, this news stuff sometimes makes the subtleties of human communication
difficult.  My response, which was intended to be read in a "light-hearted"
tone, was merely a gentle reminder that there is a time lag in these
things.

>  In terms of time, I wrote to you at 1758 GMT.  My posting was at 20:37 GMT.
> I saw the first cancellation at 20:47 GMT, with a posting date of 20:43
> GMT.  Other cancellations trickled through in the afternoon.

One batch of cancels went out fairly quickly.  Another batch took a little
while longer.  I think that by about 1600 local time (2100 GMT) all the
cancels had been generated on our systems.  Then it was a matter of
sending them on to other systems.  This takes varying lengths of time,
as some of our outgoing feeds are batched.  (Even so, I received notice
this morning that we missed a few instances of "The Message".  It's being
taken care of.)

>  In general, this was handled well by uwm.edu.  I am gratified that my letter
> was "answered at 1843 GMT".  Unfortunately I still have not seen this answer.
> If I had seen it by the time of my earlier posting, I am sure my wording
> would have been different.

Thanks for the kind words.   I don't know what the delay was/is in
my e-mail message to you -- it's off all our systems here.  I would
be interested in the timestamps in the headers, when you receive it.
(If you don't receive it in another day, drop me a note and I'll resend it.)

We're sorry about all the 'annoyance' this has caused.  Still and
all, it was an _interesting_ coincidence, coming in the middle of
your discussion about 'cancelling other's postings', no?  :-)
[Gee!  A real-life *example*!  :-) ]
--

eifrig@cs.jhu.edu (Jack Eifrig) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.194655.16026@solbourne.com> imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) writes:

>He posted an article that was way out of line (one of those
>pyramid schemes) that was clearly against established USENET
>guidelines.  It also didn't fall into the charter of the group that he
>posted it to.

	OK, I can see it now: a call-for-votes for "rec.letters.chain".

	The problem isn't that his posting was "inappropriate" for the
groups it appeared in, but that it was _illegal_.  It constituted WIRE
FRAUD!!!

>>He should respond to his flamers and let them know that he has a RIGHT
>>to post anything he wants.
>
>No, USENET is not a RIGHT.  It is a PRIVILEGE that can be revoked for
>abuse, just like driving a car.

	These kind of statements really annoy me.  What do you mean, "it's
a privilege"?  Do you mean that only people of royal blood can drive cars
or post to Usenet or some such nonsense?  While I'm sure that certain elements
of the government would like to think that they can revoke people's driving
licenses without due process, people get very unhappy when it attempts such.

	"On the other hand, groups like Planned Parenthood, the Charter Party,
the American Civil Liberties Union, the National Organization of Women, are all
part of an anti-Christian network whose cause is to work for anti-Christian goals.
That network is overly peopled by members of the Reform Jewish Community and men
whom I believe to be Freemasons."

				- James J. Condit, Jr.
				  Cincinnatus Party's perennial
				  candidate for city council

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (05/30/91)

In article <12569@uwm.edu>, jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) writes:

>Anyway, here's the story.  A "newbie" user posted the article.  He
>has been 'instructed' that this is Not Good.  He has also learned
>how to cancel his own articles!   In addition to having a simmering
>(nay, boiling) mailbox, he has had the Fear of the Lord put into him
>by all you kind people who sent him gentle missives.  :-)

Doesn't this belong in news.admin?  The base note asked about
policy, which was approriate here.  Perhaps it was unwise to
use a specific example, because that spawned an irrelevant
finger-pointing session.

--

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (05/30/91)

From article <eifrig.675550113@voronoi.cs.jhu.edu>, by eifrig@cs.jhu.edu (Jack Eifrig):

>>No, USENET is not a RIGHT.  It is a PRIVILEGE that can be revoked for
>>abuse, just like driving a car.
>
> 	These kind of statements really annoy me.  What do you mean, "it's
> a privilege"?  Do you mean that only people of royal blood can drive cars
> or post to Usenet or some such nonsense?  While I'm sure that certain
> elements of the government would like to think that they can revoke
> people's driving licenses without due process, people get very unhappy
> when it attempts such.

So the problem here isn't  what was done.  The problem is what is
considered "due process" in usenet.

Use of the Usenet is definately a privilege.  No one has the RIGHT to
electronic mail, (even though some people I know may want Usenet to be
classified as a basic human right #8-)  If it is a fee based system, and you
don't pay your fees, then you are kicked off the system.  If you purposely
violate the posted rules for proper behaviour on the system, then you are
kicked off the system.  This ain't no democracy.  The equipment is owned
and operated and paid for by the owners of the equipment.  If someone is
sending pyramid mail, or envolved in other activities which could result in
MY machine being confiscated, then damn rights I'm going to turf the user.

I run a Fidonet BBS (not a Usenet node).  I have to be VERY careful about
the traffic on the BBS.  For example, no business messages otherwise the
telephone company will consider me a "business" and charge higher rates.

I also have to ensure that my board doesn't turn into a "Pirate" board. The
government would be quite happy to confiscate my equipment if they thought
that I was aiding a criminal in illegal activities, like violating copyright,
etc.  This can be as simple as two users sending mail explaining how to crack
copyrighted programs, or advertising that they will give away copies of their
copyrighted program to people who ask ...

I handle it this way.  First, there are NO anonymous postings.  I verify
everyone before they can post on the newsgroups or use email.  That cuts down
on a lot of the juvenile behaviour I see from free-for-all public access
places.

I also post clearly in my policies for the BBS that there is no such thing
as private mail on the bbs.  EVERY message can be viewed by the sysop.  That
is not to say that it WILL be viewed, but it gives me the right to examine
mail to ensure that my BBS is not being used illegally and thus putting me
and my equipment in legal danger.  My users understand this, and I have had no
problems.

The bottom line is that to handle these situations, make sure everyone knows
the rules in advance.  Set a policy for your node.  Make it a condition of
service that before anyone gets an account, they MUST read the policy.
Once that is done, then its a simple matter.  If someone violates the policy,
then they get disconnected.  No appeals, no arguments.  It's all in black and
white.

There is no RIGHT for ANYONE to do ANYTHING on my system.  I own it, I make up
the rules.  I decide who can use it, I decide who can't.  If my rules are
too restrictive, then users can get access on another machine.

So far this has worked fine.  I am in no way a monopoly here.  There's a lot
of systems available for people to use.  If my restrictions were too severe,
then they have plenty other places to go.   The point is that they haven't.
They recognise that its my machine, and they agree that my rules are
reasonable, so they keep coming back.

If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of the owner of a computer to
control how his computer is used.  Its exactly the same as the bus driver who
has the right to kick anyone off the bus if they are causing a problem.
Claiming that the USERS have rights to get electronic mail, no matter how
badly they act, is similar to saying that bus riders have the right to steal
the bus, and use it to rob a bank.  If someone is trying to use MY equipment
in a way *I* consider is improper, then *I* have every right to kick those
people off *MY* computer.

- Kevin Lowey

jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:

>Use of the Usenet is definately a privilege.  No one has the RIGHT to
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Uhmmm, well wait a minute! I don't think that this is necessarily
true. No one has the right to deny anyone else access to USENET, only
to a particular machine.

>I run a Fidonet BBS (not a Usenet node).  I have to be VERY careful about
>the traffic on the BBS.  For example, no business messages otherwise the
>telephone company will consider me a "business" and charge higher rates.

Then cancel any articles that come into your machine that are business
related. Don't have your feed site send you the biz. and ads. groups.

> [.. descriptions of rules on his bbs]

>There is no RIGHT for ANYONE to do ANYTHING on my system.  I own it, I make up

You are correct. Its your box, no one can tell you how to run it. All I'm
saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems. If some
site consistently posts stuff you don't like, put them in your system-wide
killfile.

>If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of the owner of a computer to
>control how his computer is used.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bravo. Again, this means of course, that you have no RIGHT to tell any
other sysop what she can and cannot allow to be posted and exported from
her system. Again, if you don't like the stuff coming off her system,
put it in your kill-file but don't think that you have a RIGHT to TELL
ANYONE ELSE what they can and cannot allow on their system.

>- Kevin Lowey

Also, some people are claiming that "certain things should be prohibited
because they may pass through the NSFNet as it may be inappropriate for
that net." I put it to you that the only way it would be legal for NSFNet
to limit USENET content would be to disallow all of USENET from NSFNet
facilities.  Why - because NSFNet is a government funded animal. 1st
Amendment says that the govt. CANNOT stifle free speech. Therefore NSFNet
cannot dictate the content of USENET postings (except of course, where
allowed by laws such as transmitting stolen property, some material of
a purient nature, etc).  NSFNet can say "USENET as a whole violates the
conditions of use of the NSFNet, so off it goes.." Thats what drives many
of these doomsday fanatics insane. (Iminent Death of USENET Predicted (tm))

Peace,
John Palmer
--

snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
>If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of the owner of a computer to
>control how his computer is used.  Its exactly the same as the bus driver who
>has the right to kick anyone off the bus if they are causing a problem.
>Claiming that the USERS have rights to get electronic mail, no matter how
>badly they act, is similar to saying that bus riders have the right to steal
>the bus, and use it to rob a bank.  If someone is trying to use MY equipment
>in a way *I* consider is improper, then *I* have every right to kick those
>people off *MY* computer.

And how about the bus driver/owner who makes black people sit in the
back of the bus.  Clearly it is not *always* up to the owner's notion
of what is "improper".  You cannot restrict the activities based upon
sex, race, religion, creed, etc...

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud  <snicoud@boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Computer Services Research and Technology, Computer Science

sincoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) (05/31/91)

Concerning whether USENET/EMAIL/NEWS/etc are a RIGHT or a PRIVILEGE:

Does it have to be one or the other?  How about neither?  Or Both?
Maybe it ought to be viewed it as a SERVICE, that was bought and
paid-for.

Consider wanting to see a movie.  I pay an fee with the explicit
understanding/contract that a service is provided for me.  Is that a
right or a privilege?  I guess that once the fee is paid, I have a
right to use the service under the terms upon which the fee was made.

Just some idle thinking... (of course, when I start thinking, that's
when I get in trouble :-)

Stephen
--

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.181628.2931@tygra.Michigan.COM> jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
>                                                                  All I'm
>saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems.

this from tygra/ddmi/michigan.com ?

he must be learning.

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Educational Systems Manager - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, CANADA  ]

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (05/31/91)

According to jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer):
>All I'm saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems.

Oh, so I shouldn't post netwide cancel messages?  Good advice, that.

>NSFNet is a government funded animal. 1st Amendment says that the govt.
>CANNOT stifle free speech.

 ... naw.  It's too easy.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.com>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
          perl -e 'sub do { print "extinct!\n"; }   do do()'

In article <48332@bcsaic.UUCP> sincoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
>Concerning whether USENET/EMAIL/NEWS/etc are a RIGHT or a PRIVILEGE:
>
>Does it have to be one or the other?  How about neither?  Or Both?
>Maybe it ought to be viewed it as a SERVICE, that was bought and
>paid-for.

who are you paying?

you are not paying USENET.

--
[ Jim Mercer  jim@lsuc.On.Ca  || ...!uunet!attcan!lsuc!jim    +1 416 947-5258 ]
[ Educational Systems Manager - Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, CANADA  ]
[ Standards are great. They give non-conformists something to not conform to. ]
[      The opinions expressed here may or may not be those of my employer     ]

tar@math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (05/31/91)

jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:

[ I assume this wasn't yet another forgery in your name, John?  It's so
  hard to tell. ]

[ ... ]

>Thats a shame. Some people just don't know how to handle flamers. If
>he got harassing e-mail, he should contact the sender's sysop and the
>feed site of the system from which the posting came.

>He should respond to his flamers and let them know that he has a RIGHT
>to post anything he wants. How do we solve this problem: Post flames
>in public newsgroups against the offender and also put him in your
>system-wide kill file.

Let me try to get this straight.  Everyone has the RIGHT to post anything
they want, be it legal or illegal.  However, no one has the RIGHT to
mail anything they want to a particular person.

I don't get it.  Why does freedom of speech extend to posting but not email?

You keep using this word "RIGHT".  I do not think it means what you think
it means.

--
Tim Ramsey/system administrator/tar@math.ksu.edu/(913) 532-6750/2-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS  66506-2602

imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.181628.2931@tygra.Michigan.COM> jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
>Again, if you don't like the stuff coming off her system,
>put it in your kill-file but don't think that you have a RIGHT to TELL
>ANYONE ELSE what they can and cannot allow on their system.

THIS IS WRONG.  Simple examples:
	1) Canceling other people's articles.  You, Mr. John Palmer, are
	   guilty of this.
	2) Posting 100's or large articles that are copies of core
	   files that you generate.
	3) Postings that are illegal.  If your system generates
	   articles that are illegal, then my system may be liable for
	   passing them on if I knew about them and didn't do anything
	   to prevent them.

I could come up with others, Mr. John Palmer, but you obviously never
listen to anybody anyway.

Warner
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
Free to a good home: 10,000 Miller Moths.  Must promise not to breed them.

In article <48330@bcsaic.UUCP> snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:

>> If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of
>> the owner of a computer to control how his
>> computer is used. Its exactly the same as the bus
>> driver who has the right to kick anyone off the
>> bus if they are causing a problem. claiming that
>> the USERS have rights to get electronic mail, no
>> matter how badly they act, is similar to saying
>> that bus riders have the right to steal the bus,
>> and use it to rob a bank. If someone is trying to
>> use MY equipment in a way *I* consider is
>> improper, then *I* have every right to kick those
>> people off *MY* computer.

> And how about the bus driver/owner who makes black
> people sit in the back of the bus. Clearly it is
> not *always* up to the owner's notion of what is
> "improper". You cannot restrict the activities
> based upon sex, race, religion, creed, etc...

Flawed analogy; a city bus is a public accomodation
within the scope of the law, either operated or
licensed to operate by government entities to whom
the anti-discrimination statutes apply. These same
statutes don't tell me that if I operate a church
school bus I have to provide service to other than
the, perhaps tuition paying, students.

I have a complete right to operate a private BBS for
the benefit and use, only, of the KKK, the John
Birch Society, the Bnai Brith Anti-Defamation
League, the Freemasons, alt.activism participants
(gag!) or people whose last name starts with "D"
like mine. That is _not_ a public accomodation, it
is not operated or licensed as one by a government
entity. and the anti-discrimination laws should not
be expected to apply.

No more am I required (nor is USENet required) to
_fund_ your _access_ to free speech on the BBS or the
net, that corresponds to your right to be safe from
_laws_ _abridging_ free speech in a medium either
free or voluntarily funded by other participants and
provided for you.

Since USENet does not have, and probably does not
want, the status of a common carrier, it is at least
unclear that sites like The Well, Portal, Netcom,
UUNET, UUPSI, etc. are under any obligation to
provide equal access to service either, though
frankly, it is a bit tough to discriminate before
the fact against a person you are unlikely ever to
see or know much about beyond the printed word, and
loss of an account once granted would quite probably
be based on unprotected behavior (non-payment of
subscription fees, posting of unlawful material,
being a complete pain in the ass and disrupting
operations for other users, etc.), not on personal
characteristics subject to anti-discrimination law
coverage, in any case.

This means if "we" don't like you enough to toss you
off the net and pull the plug on your feed, you have
no _legal_ recourse; your only recourse is to
correct the behavior problems that elicited such a
severe response enough to gull some sucker into
providing you a feed again, at probable risk to his
own feed, since the net is rather long on memory and
short on forgiveness.

Similarly for a cancelled account; you have to find
a new site that will give you one, you have no
inherent right, and should have no expectation, to
get the old one back by means of any legal process.

Compare it to the case of newspapers, which are in
no way obliged to publish your obscene and abusive
letter to the editor (though if you shop around, one
may), although the law is pretty strict in allowing
you to fund your _own_ newspaper in which you can
rave, within the limits of the libel laws, to your
heart's content.

Kent, the man from xanth.

sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack) (06/01/91)

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) writes:

> In <1991May29.172400.24035@tygra.Michigan.COM>
>    jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
>
> >In article <12570@uwm.edu> jgd@convex.csd.uwm.edu writes:
> >"
> >"Oh, he got *F*L*A*M*E*D* all right.  From all sides.  We have a very
> >"contrite user here at the moment.
> >"
>
> >Thats a shame. Some people just don't know how to handle flamers. If
> >he got harassing e-mail, he should contact the sender's sysop and the
> >feed site of the system from which the posting came.

        Perhaps the flamers should be more responsible for their own
        actions, & hence wouldn't need sysops to look after them.

> People make misteaks, even the more experienced, and those who "should
> know better". Assuming that somebody is a fool because of one error, is
> extreme prejudice.

        Don't say that in news.admin. 8)

> Never over-react. Keep your cool (or borrow some if you don't have any).
> Remember, we all start out being ignorant.

        THe USENet learning curve is fairly steep, but any "problems"
        with users' articles should be dealt with promptly.  Sysadmins
        would probably have less damage control to do if they provided
        more education before the fact.

> >He should respond to his flamers and let them know that he has a RIGHT
> >to post anything he wants. How do we solve this problem: Post flames
> >in public newsgroups against the offender and also put him in your
> >system-wide kill file.
>
> The RIGHT is not without bounds. The purposes for which the net is
> provided in many places, specifically exclude commercial exploitation
> (and dirty pictures). What right you have in the USA, do not follow
> you wherever you go.

        Exactly.  There has never been such a thing as absolute free
        speech in America, & as long as news providers, not individual
        posters are paying the transport cost, they have a fairly
        absolute right to determine what goes over their outgoing
        (or even transfer) newsfeed.

> On average, the net community has enough sense to know when to flame,
> and when to keep quiet. Flames are appropriate for persistent
> offenders and thick-skinned individuals. In general, a pleasant note
> saying:
>   "Gee, you really oughtn't do that again,
>    here's how to cancel that naughty article"
> are more productive than a note which causes one's hair on the back
> of the neck to stand on end.

        Flamage rarely does any good, & only serves to make people
        angrier & more defensive of their actions.

> >People who own the machines on this network have the right to determine
> >what stuff they allow to be stored on their hard drives. On the other
> >hand, NO ONE has the right to tell anyone what they can and cannot post.

        As long as one is paying for it, it doesn't matter whether the
        feed is incoming, outgoing, or simply transferring, one has
        very nearly absolute control over the use his or her resources
        are put to.

> But they don't have the right to forge cancellation messages. Any
> system administrator, with enough brains to tie his boot laces, knows
> how to eliminate unwanted articles locally, without a net-wide
> cancellation.
>
> You, above most people, should know this from experience.

        Ah.  John Palmer's back.  THis is going to be great fun.

Steven S. Brack     sbrack@bluemoon.uucp        The Ohio State University
sbrack%bluemoon@nstar.rn.com                        sbrack@isis.cs.du.edu

sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack) (06/01/91)

snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:

> In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Ke
> >If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of the owner of a computer to
> >control how his computer is used.  Its exactly the same as the bus driver wh
> >has the right to kick anyone off the bus if they are causing a problem.
> >Claiming that the USERS have rights to get electronic mail, no matter how
> >badly they act, is similar to saying that bus riders have the right to steal
> >the bus, and use it to rob a bank.  If someone is trying to use MY equipment
> >in a way *I* consider is improper, then *I* have every right to kick those
> >people off *MY* computer.
>
> And how about the bus driver/owner who makes black people sit in the
> back of the bus.  Clearly it is not *always* up to the owner's notion
> of what is "improper".  You cannot restrict the activities based upon
> sex, race, religion, creed, etc...

        And in the case of a University computer system?

        I could see the logic developing:
        The owner is in control -> the computer is owned by the university
        the university is owned by the taxpayers -> the taxpayers have
        control over the computer -> students are taxpayers ->
        students control what use the computers are put to.

        Obviously, we need a more refined model somewhere between
        "I run the system & make all decisions regarding it" &
        "The users can do anything they want on the system."

        How do large universitys balance student rights & their
        responsibility to make efficient use of computing resources?

        As more students go "on-line," problems of this nature will only
        become more vexing.

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (06/01/91)

From article <48330@bcsaic.UUCP>, by snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud):
> In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
>>If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of the owner of a computer to
>>control how his computer is used.  Its exactly the same as the bus driver who
>>has the right to kick anyone off the bus if they are causing a problem.
>>Claiming that the USERS have rights to get electronic mail, no matter how
>>badly they act, is similar to saying that bus riders have the right to steal
>>the bus, and use it to rob a bank.  If someone is trying to use MY equipment
>>in a way *I* consider is improper, then *I* have every right to kick those
>>people off *MY* computer.
>
> And how about the bus driver/owner who makes black people sit in the
> back of the bus.  Clearly it is not *always* up to the owner's notion
> of what is "improper".  You cannot restrict the activities based upon
> sex, race, religion, creed, etc...

Notice that I said the owner of the system has the right to set any rules
he wants on that system AS LONG AS IT'S LEGAL.

The situation of racial discrimination is in many places ILLEGAL, so this
whole sidebar about the hypothetical racist sysop doesn't really apply to my
comments.

I guess we've gone full circle here.  The question now is whether or not it
is legal for the sysop to read mail marked as "private".  I get around that on
my BBS by explicitly stating to the users of my system that there is no such
thing as private mail, and the sysop can and will read any message he wants to
on the system.  As long as people know the messages are not private, then they
cannot claim that I am invading their privacy.

- Kevin Lowey

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (06/01/91)

From article <qDuu34w164w@bluemoon.uucp>, by sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack):
>         And in the case of a University computer system?
>
>         I could see the logic developing:
>         The owner is in control -> the computer is owned by the university
>         the university is owned by the taxpayers -> the taxpayers have
>         control over the computer -> students are taxpayers ->
>         students control what use the computers are put to.

That does not really apply here.  Although our university is funded partially
by tax money, partially by student fees, etc, that does NOT mean that any old
taxpayer has the right to use our equipment.  Try telling the government that
since I paid for Airforce 1, I have the right to use it to go to the lake on
weekends ...

The UNIVERSITY bought the equipment.  The UNIVERSITY owns the equipment.  The
UNIVERSITY gets to say how the equipment is to be used, who can use it, and
what rules these users have to follow.

- Kevin Lowey

jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May31.133325.17462@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
"In article <1991May30.181628.2931@tygra.Michigan.COM> jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
">                                                                  All I'm
">saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems.
"
"this from tygra/ddmi/michigan.com ?
"
"he must be learning.
"

No, maybe its you thats learning. I've known the right way for years, its
many of the other net.users who have had a problem. Its not my problem,
its their's. Period.

--

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (06/02/91)

From article <1991May30.181628.2931@tygra.Michigan.COM>, by jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer):

> You are correct. Its your box, no one can tell you how to run it. All I'm
> saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems. If some
> site consistently posts stuff you don't like, put them in your system-wide
> killfile.
>
> Bravo. Again, this means of course, that you have no RIGHT to tell any
> other sysop what she can and cannot allow to be posted and exported from
> her system. Again, if you don't like the stuff coming off her system,
> put it in your kill-file but don't think that you have a RIGHT to TELL
> ANYONE ELSE what they can and cannot allow on their system.

I agree 100% there.

Now lets extend this a little bit.  My local situation is I own some
equipment that I make available for free for people to use.  We agree that
I get to make up the rules because I own the equipment.

However, the same logic also applies to networks.  In Fidonet, Usenet, or
whatever, there are rules and policy guidelines layed down.  For example
some Fidonet newsgroups have moderators.  In Usenet, a moderator is the only
person permitted to post to a newsgroup.  In Fidonet, its a bit different.
A Fidonet moderator OWNS the newsgroup.  He sets policy for the group.  If a
node is consistantly violating that policy, the moderator has the power to
cut that node from the newsgroup.

The point is that as a sysop, I have full control over how my system
is used.  However, the same can be said about networks.  If I decide to hook
my system into Usenet, then my system becomes a "User" of the Usenet system.
As such, I have to follow the policies layed down by Usenet (if there are
any).  If I don't, then my node gets kicked out, just as I have the right to
kick a user off my BBS.

Similarly, Usenet sometimes is carried over telephone lines, and sometimes is
carried over lines paid for by NSF, or its equivalents in other countries.
Since they pay for the physical wires, they have the right to say how those
wires are used.  If NSF says they don't want to pay for the transfer of
X rated images (alt.sex.pictures), then it doesn't have to.  So even if
Usenet policy says that is OK, Usenet might be forced to CHANGE its policy
to fall in line with the carriers it uses, or risk losing permission to use
those carriers.  Its identical to how I, as a sysop may have to modify my
policies to fall in line with Usenet policies if I wish to keep using Usenet.

Its precisely for this reason that special laws were used to define
Common Carriers like the telephone company, and control the power they had.
If these laws were not in place, then the telephone company could do whatever
they wanted to their wires, including restricting access to a privileged few,
listening in on conversations, etc.  The laws protect our privacy, and limit
how much power the owners of the equipment have over the information
sent over their equipment.

However, those laws do not yet apply to Usenet or Fidonet, as far as I know.
These are still private organizations who can make up their own rules restrict
who can access the services, and dictate what the people who access the
services can and cannot do.

I have to admit I didn't see the original messages in this theme.  It appears
that a System Administrator killed a message that he knew violated Usenet
policies.  If that is the case, then I think he had every right to do so.  If
not, then he risks being cut of from Usenet for violating Usenet policy.

I admit I don't know a lot about the Usenet policy.  I do know more about
Fidonet.  There is no network wide kill-message feature on Fidonet so this
exact situation wouldn't occur.  Instead it would go something like this.  A
person posts a message in a newsgroup that the moderator deems inappropriate.
The moderator would send a message to the sender expaining the rules, and
telling him to stop.  If the sender does not stop, then the moderator would
send mail to the sysop of the node asking the Sysop to handle this person by
cutting off his posting privileges.  If the sysop refuses, then the moderator
would tell the node feeding mail to this sysop to disconnect that newsgroup
from that node ...

Thus, if I saw a chain-letter or some other illegal message, or message that
I know violates policy, you can be sure I'll delete it before it leaves my
board (if I catch it in time) and leave a stern warning to the user envolved.

- Kevin Lowey

mcmahan@cs.unca.edu (Scott McMahan) (06/02/91)

Wait a minute ...

[sorry folks -- no LONG quotes of other's messages quoting other's
 messages ad infinitum -- maybe you'll all emulate me? :-) ]

Driving is a privilege?  Posting articles is a privilege?  That's a
very interesting point:  who decided it was a privilege?

I mean, _someone_ had to start all this "news" initially, right?  Now
it's *everywhere* on a *lot* of systems.  Ditto for vehicles:  initially
they were very rare and a novelty.  E-mail and "news" is becoming
*very* common.

So, who decides to whom the privilege is given?  Do individual
systems administrators get to decide what they think the users of
their system need to read?  Is it a higher level decision?  Should
the *government* scan _all_ the incoming "news" to see if the views
violate federal law before the "news" is forwarded to federally funded
educational facilities?

All the news that's fit to print?

See the problem?  This is a brand new area that hasn't been subjected
to any kind of legal scrutiny ...

mcmahan@cs.unca.edu for those of you who think in base 2
Scott McMahan  to the rest.  As always: #include "stddisclaimer.h"
^-- Look! I only signed it *once* ! :-)

mcmahan@cs.unca.edu (Scott McMahan) (06/02/91)

In article <whichever>  Kevin Lowey mentions that he runs a BBS
on which he can do whatever he pleases.  This is not meant as
scarasm, just necessary to make my point:  Is it equipped for
the handicapped?

Sure, if you own your *own* computer, you can do whatever you want
with it.  Try denying access to a black person sometime!  You are
_still_ subject to _some_ laws!  If you *did* deny access, and if
the person decided to take it to court, you'd be in *hot water* .

And if you received any federal funds, and wanted to *continue*
receiving them, then you'd do what the government required when you
set your policy!

Even private things like apartment complexes owned by private business
must go along with the government (or loose a *lot* of things like
subsidized insurance, even if they don't get direct federal money) .
A bus driver employed by the *city* couldn't kick someone off his bus!
Or if Greyhound got *any* kind of federal assistance, and a driver violated
federal law, it wouldn't be cut and dried.

Usenet may be privately owned, and may set their policy,
but as I said -- if they say "No Asians have a RIGHT to use our
computers to take over America"  I'll be it wouldn't be their policy
for long! :-)

*You* don't have the right to use YOUR computer if it violates the
law!

Or your bus, or whatever ...

Scary?

#include "stddisclaimer.h"
#include "signature.h"

Scott McMahan

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (06/02/91)

From article <1991Jun1.174136.6258@rock.concert.net>, by mcmahan@cs.unca.edu (Scott McMahan):

> In article <whichever>  Kevin Lowey mentions that he runs a BBS
> on which he can do whatever he pleases.  This is not meant as
> scarasm, just necessary to make my point:  Is it equipped for
> the handicapped?

Actually, I do have files on the BBS to help ease handicapped access.
I don't see what your point is here.  What does handicapped access have to
do with anything?

Also, you missed one important part of my message.  I said the people that
owned the systems can set any policy they want for using that system, AS
LONG AS THEY DON'T BREAK ANY LAWS.

Most of the rest of your message point out situations where laws could be
broken and I'd be in hot water.  I agree with you 100%.  However, many of the
situations you mention may not be so cut and dried legally.

For example, the KKK as an organization right now does not allow non WASP
people to join.  There is no law saying that I have to allow purple people
into my organization.  There are still plenty of "Men only" clubs that do
not allow women to join.   I disagree with this, but its a fact of life.
If it applies to clubs, it certainly can apply to computer systems run by
those clubs.

Here's another example.  My BBS is owned and operated by the University of
Saskatchewan.  I have a policy stating that ONLY faculty, staff, students,
and alumnus of the U of S have access to it.  No other person has a "right"
to use my equipment.  I'm not forced by law to give any joe blow off the
street an account.  This is not being racist or anything, its simply a matter
of the person responsible for this system limiting access only to the people
that he purchased the system for.

I assume that a KKK bbs would similarly not be forced to provide its services
to people that are not its members.  Absolutely no law can tell the KKK to
provide its BBS services to any individual they don't want to, because it
is a PRIVATE system.

Similarly, the University of Saskatchewan is not forced to provide Usenet
access to our students.  There is no law that says that students are entitled
to accounts on our campus computers.  In fact, the only way students get
accounts on our mainframe is through class accounts.  They can't get accounts
even if they are willing to pay because we don't have the computing resources.
(That's one reason I put the BBS together, so undergrads can get limited
electronic mail, etc.)

THAT is what I mean when I say that NO ONE has a RIGHT to usenet.  Usenet as
an organization can decide who gets access to it and who doesn't.  If a node
is constantly violating Usenet guidelines, Usenet can simply kick him out.
First amendment arguments notwithstanding.  All the First Amendment says is
the guy has the right to say what he wants.  It doesn't mean he has the right
to shout it out in my back yard all night, or to violate Usenet rules
constantly so he can have his say.

Similarly, the owner of any computer system has the right to say who can
and cannot get accounts on those computers, and which of those people can
or cannot get access to Usenet.  Just because you are a janitor at a company
with a computer connected to Usenet, that doesn't mean you have a RIGHT to
usenet.  Just because you are a secretary using a word processor on the
computer, that doesn't mean we MUST also give Usenet access to her, even if
she asks for it.

The racism arguments here are extreme cases.  Sometimes they may be covered
by laws, which is fine.  However, if they are NOT covered by law, then there
is nothing anyone can do to stop someone from doing whatever he wants on his
equipment, no matter how outrageous it may be.  Sure, you can exert pressure
by boycotts, pulling funding, etc, but you cannot FORCE the person to change
his mind.

This whole use of bigotry as a way to "prove" that everyone has rights to
Usenet, and people cannot control their own equipment, is fatally flawed in
one important area.  Bigotry is now controlled by law.  Of course a system
administrator or owner cannot use his system for illegal purposes (including
descrimination simply by race where that is applicable).  I never argued that.

However, that doesn't translate into prohibiting me from doing anything that
IS legal.  For example, if my policy tells my users that there is no such
thing as private mail, and the sysop has the right to read and kill any
message, and if accepting this policy is a condition of using this system,
then there is nothing wrong with the system administrator killing messages
he deems inappropriate.

If there is NOT a policy on this, and people had the impression that private
mail was private, etc., then the administrator might be in trouble.  However,
if policy is clearly set out, then there should be no problem in enforcing
that policy.

- Kevin Lowey

imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.171146.20818@tygra.Michigan.COM>
jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
>No, maybe its you thats learning. I've known the right way for years, its
>many of the other net.users who have had a problem. Its not my problem,
>its their's. Period.

Get a clue.  A small one.  PLEASE.

It is obvious that you haven't being doing the right thing for years,
even though you claim to know what that is.  I mean really, cancelling
articles just because you didn't like the way they were posted.  And
none of them were yours or came from your site.  Yes,  Mr. John
Palmer, this is really everybody's problem, too bad that you created
it.

Warner
--

snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.022548.28381@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>In article <48330@bcsaic.UUCP> snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
>In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
>
>>> If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of the owner of a
>>> computer to control how his computer is used. Its exactly the same
>>> as the bus driver who has the right to kick anyone off the bus if
>>> they are causing a problem. claiming that the USERS have rights to
>>> get electronic mail, no matter how badly they act, is similar to
>>> saying that bus riders have the right to steal the bus, and use it
>>> to rob a bank. If someone is trying to use MY equipment in a way
>>> *I* consider is improper, then *I* have every right to kick those
>>> people off *MY* computer.
>
>> And how about the bus driver/owner who makes black people sit in
>> the back of the bus. Clearly it is not *always* up to the owner's
>> notion of what is "improper". You cannot restrict the activities
>> based upon sex, race, religion, creed, etc...
>
>Flawed analogy; a city bus is a public accomodation within the scope
                   ^^^^
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my analogy.  I never claimed a "city" bus.

>of the law, either operated or licensed to operate by government
>entities to whom the anti-discrimination statutes apply. These same
>statutes don't tell me that if I operate a church school bus I have
>to provide service to other than the, perhaps tuition paying,
>students.

I think you missed my point.  I'm not talking about whether or not to
let someone "on the bus", but about how the owner/operator can treat
someone who has already been allowed on board.

If my church (or me or any person/entity) owned a bus and agreed to
let a person on board (say a church member), I don't believe that
church has the right to violate that person's civil rights (wrt, sex,
race, religion, creed, etc...) regardless of the reason why the person
was allowed on board ("public accommodation" or not).

The claim was made that "improper" behavior, as determined by the
owner/operator, was enough for the owner/operator to take action
("kick those people off").  If the owner/operator decides that the
person's race is "improper", does s/he have the right to take that
action because of it?

I think not.

Now, if someone violated an agreed-upon (by user and owner/operator)
non-discriminatory rule/regulation I think an owner/operator probably
does have the right to take action.

I certainly don't have the answer to the dilemma (well, I kinda see it
as a dilemma; your mileage may vary) of how "improper speech" is to be
treated on these systems.  I'd probably take action if I owned a
system and I saw something that I felt was grossly "improper", but I
know I'd be very careful and hesitant about doing it.

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud  <snicoud@boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Computer Services Research and Technology, Computer Science
Bellevue, Washington  USA

jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
> jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:

>> All I'm saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems.

> this from tygra/ddmi/michigan.com ?
> he must be learning.

No, he just doesn't see the inherent conflict between him trying to
dictate for other sites which groups should be moderated and for which
of their articles he should forge cancels, and this statement on the one
hand; and the exact correspondence between other sites inviting him
to clean up his act or get off the net, and this statement, on the
other hand.

When you think "jpp", and you think "thick", think "kilometers".

Kent, the man from xanth.

dfpedro@uswnvg.UUCP (Donn Pedro) (06/02/91)

:
: > >he got harassing e-mail, he should contact the sender's sysop and the
: > know better". Assuming that somebody is a fool because of one error, is
: > extreme prejudice.
:
:         Don't say that in news.admin. 8)
:

One error does not a fool make.  It is the repeated refusal to recognise
the error and correct it.  It is the inability to say, "I was wrong,"
that makes the fool.

: > Never over-react. Keep your cool (or borrow some if you don't have any).
: > Remember, we all start out being ignorant.
:
:         THe USENet learning curve is fairly steep, but any "problems"
:         with users' articles should be dealt with promptly.  Sysadmins
:         would probably have less damage control to do if they provided
:         more education before the fact.

Agreed.  Everyone should read the guide to network news and have a full
understanding of the site's particular posting policy.

:         Exactly.  There has never been such a thing as absolute free
:         speech in America, & as long as news providers, not individual
:         posters are paying the transport cost, they have a fairly
:         absolute right to determine what goes over their outgoing
:         (or even transfer) newsfeed.

And that is precisely the thing most fail to understand.  If I own
a machine I can transport what I wish over it.  You can say
what you wish but I am not obligated to echo it to the world.
Before you hit 'f' read this.

I don't care what you say.  I probobly would echo your words worldwide
but, I am not obligated to.

	Donn Pedro ...................{uunet, sequent, pn1}!uswnvg!dfpedro.

fenner@jazz.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May31.133325.17462@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
|In article <1991May30.181628.2931@tygra.Michigan.COM> jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
|>                                                                  All I'm
|>saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems.
|
|[...]
|
|he must be learning.

No, he's just a hyprocrite.

--
Bill Fenner     fenner@jazz.psu.edu     ..psuvax1!hogbbs!wcfpc!wcf
                wcf@hogbbs.scol.pa.us   (+1 814 238-9633 2400MNP5)

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (06/03/91)

In <1991Jun1.164136.4553@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
[...]
>The UNIVERSITY bought the equipment.  The UNIVERSITY owns the equipment.  The
>UNIVERSITY gets to say how the equipment is to be used, who can use it, and
>what rules these users have to follow.
[...]

I would only add that it is the policy of most universities to create
and administer rules with the participation of faculty and students,
to respect the privacy of faculty and students (by, for example,
allowing searches of office space under certain very controlled
conditions), to make rules clear and specific, to give students
accused of violating rules a formal hearing (if the student so
wishes), to promote free expression by saying that "[t]he
institutional control of campus facilities should not be used as a
device of censorship."

In my opinion, any university employee who violates this policy should
be disciplined. For example, a sys admin who expels a student from the
general university computer system without recourse to a formal
hearing should find him or herself subject to a formal disciplinary
hearing.

And, of course, any university computer policy that contradicts
general university policy (i.e. almost every university computer
policy I've ever read) is null and void.
--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (06/03/91)

>The UNIVERSITY bought the equipment.  The UNIVERSITY owns the equipment.  The
>UNIVERSITY gets to say how the equipment is to be used, who can use it, and
>what rules these users have to follow.

This is far too extreme a view and naive.

The UNIVERSITY also took money from students in the form of tuition,
and from researchers in the form of overhead and/or direct charges.
That's how they buy and pay for the equipment.

In general, when you take money in a transaction, you lose certain
rights of private ownership. Just like when a landlord rents you an
apartment he can no longer put his friends up there, or even enter the
premises without cause.

If the UNIVERSITY (why are we shouting that word? sounds like the word
of the day at pee-wee's playhouse), or any other organization, wants
complete control of the equipment they are "free" to cease taking
money for its use, indirectly or otherwise.

The university is charged with the administration and dispensation of
resources acquired for particular purposes from general funds. But
that is soas to fulfill their obligations, not as a protector of
private property in the simplistic sense you expound.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs

 snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>>Flawed analogy; a city bus is a public accomodation within the scope
>                   ^^^^
>Perhaps I wasn't clear in my analogy.  I never claimed a "city" bus.

Doesn't matter; I just said "city" to make the point clear.

>>of the law, either operated or licensed to operate by government
>>entities to whom the anti-discrimination statutes apply.

> I think you missed my point. ... I don't believe
> that [analogous situation] has the right to
> violate that person's civil rights

> The claim was made that "improper" behavior, as
> determined by the owner/operator, was enough for
> the owner/operator to take action ("kick those
> people off"). If the owner/operator decides that
> the person's race is "improper", does s/he have
> the right to take that action because of it?

Nope.  Like many considering the US law from a dewy
eyed liberal viewpoint, you have an overwhelmingly
overlarge concept of what constitute your "civil
rights".  It is not the case that whatever you think
you should have constitutes a civil right.

Your civil rights exist by inclusion, not exclusion;
if it isn't in the law, then it isn't protected.

Nowhere does the law give you, implicitly or
explicity, a civil right to have a Usenet account
on Kevin Lowey's private and personal BBS system.

Kevin has reserved to himself the right to toss off
whomever he wants, without providing any explanation
whatever, and you and others have tried to drag in
sex and race and religion and a lot of other red
herrings.  Kevin _doesn't_ _have_ _to _tell_ _you_
why he won't let you use his system, and there's
exactly nothing you can do about it.  Your suspicions
that you were being discriminated against for race
and not for the illegal chain letters you posted will
avail you nothing; he doesn't _have_ to defend his
reasons.

Kent, the man from xanth.

rupton@zeus.calpoly.edu (R. Upton) (06/03/91)

One of the problems with sysops is that they hold to the concept of
"My System" I can do what ever I want. For the most part they are
correct but many forget that users make there "system" and without
them there would be nothing to feed there ego's. Something else...
Respect is something that can not be eliminated by having material
possesions (systems) which some feel is there RIGHT to disregard.

--
   ---- Robert Upton ------
    rupton@nike.Calpoly.Edu

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (06/03/91)

In <1991Jun1.171146.20818@tygra.Michigan.COM>
   jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:

>In article <1991May31.133325.17462@lsuc.on.ca> jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes:
>"In article <1991May30.181628.2931@tygra.Michigan.COM> jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
>">                                                                  All I'm
>">saying is that you not try to dictate your rules to other systems.
>"
>"this from tygra/ddmi/michigan.com ?
>"
>"he must be learning.

>No, maybe its you thats learning. I've known the right way for years, its
>many of the other net.users who have had a problem. Its not my problem,
>its their's. Period.

Take care that becoming entrenched in your own ideas and perspectives
does not lead you to digging your own grave - metaphorically speaking
(so save some dough on PIs :-))

It's surprising how some people react
to an albeit sarcastic pat on the back.

[ note followup-to ]
--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sold \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (06/03/91)

In <1991Jun1.171636.6232@herald.usask.ca>
   lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:

>I have to admit I didn't see the original messages in this theme.  It appears
>that a System Administrator killed a message that he knew violated Usenet
>policies.  If that is the case, then I think he had every right to do so.  If
>not, then he risks being cut of from Usenet for violating Usenet policy.

If the Sysadmin had alerted the posted, and requested him to cancel it
himself, then it would have been an educational exercise. If _anybody_
notices something of an illegal nature being posted, they should
immediately request the _originator_ to cancel it. Sysadmins are not
omnipotent deities (except maybe jp@tygra :-)). You cannot reasonably
expect them to control every byte of information flowing through their
system.

>Thus, if I saw a chain-letter or some other illegal message, or message that
>I know violates policy, you can be sure I'll delete it before it leaves my
>board (if I catch it in time) and leave a stern warning to the user envolved.

If that is the agreed policy on your system, so be it. However, you
are setting a dangerous precedent by taking responsibility for what
users post.

Who owns the article?
--

In <1991Jun1.174136.6258@rock.concert.net>
   mcmahan@cs.unca.edu (Scott McMahan) writes:

>Sure, if you own your *own* computer, you can do whatever you want
>with it.  Try denying access to a black person sometime!  You are
>_still_ subject to _some_ laws!  If you *did* deny access, and if
>the person decided to take it to court, you'd be in *hot water* .

Certainly not if there were other reasons for the owner to reject
access. e.g. He's the founding member of the secret "Computer Chaos
in Government Society".

Being in a minority doesn't automatically give people extra rights,
does it? (It appears to because we don't wish to "offend".)

>Usenet may be privately owned, and may set their policy,
>but as I said -- if they say "No Asians have a RIGHT to use our
>computers to take over America"  I'll be it wouldn't be their policy
>for long! :-)

Gee, they sure wouldn't have rules like that around here :-)
--

sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack) (06/03/91)

dfpedro@uswnvg.UUCP (Donn Pedro) writes:

> In article <ygTu33w164w@bluemoon.uucp>, sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack
> :
> :         THe USENet learning curve is fairly steep, but any "problems"
> :         with users' articles should be dealt with promptly.  Sysadmins
> :         would probably have less damage control to do if they provided
> :         more education before the fact.
>
> Agreed.  Everyone should read the guide to network news and have a full
> understanding of the site's particular posting policy.

        There are sites on the net that have never formulated a formal
        posting policy.  Are their users free to do as they please?
        And what of sites like ddmi/tygra/Michigan.com, where the admin
        is part of the problem, not the solution?  I don't have any
        answes to these questions, but I think the problem of user
        education is solvable.  The problem of a rogue site probably
        can't be dealt with by anything less than isolation.

> :         Exactly.  There has never been such a thing as absolute free
> :         speech in America, & as long as news providers, not individual
> :         posters are paying the transport cost, they have a fairly
> :         absolute right to determine what goes over their outgoing
> :         (or even transfer) newsfeed.
>
> And that is precisely the thing most fail to understand.  If I own
> a machine I can transport what I wish over it.  You can say
> what you wish but I am not obligated to echo it to the world.
> Before you hit 'f' read this.
>
> I don't care what you say.  I probobly would echo your words worldwide
> but, I am not obligated to.

        Precisely.  What each site does has always been seen as its own
        baliwick, but when a site does things that affect the entire
        net.community, like running an open telnet server, or sending
        bad news batches, then it ceases to be that site's exclusive
        problem.  What then?

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:

> In <1991Jun1.164136.4553@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey)
> [...]
> >The UNIVERSITY bought the equipment.  The UNIVERSITY owns the equipment.  Th
> >UNIVERSITY gets to say how the equipment is to be used, who can use it, and
> >what rules these users have to follow.
> [...]
>
> I would only add that it is the policy of most universities to create
> and administer rules with the participation of faculty and students,
> to respect the privacy of faculty and students (by, for example,
> allowing searches of office space under certain very controlled
> conditions), to make rules clear and specific, to give students
> accused of violating rules a formal hearing (if the student so
> wishes), to promote free expression by saying that "[t]he
> institutional control of campus facilities should not be used as a
> device of censorship."

        But, that contradicts the prevalent attitude that mainframe
        access is a privelege that can be granted or revoked with no
        explanation.  Even .edu sites do this sort of thing quite
        regularly (& I'm not referring to my own case, but to others
        I've seen first-hand, or heard of).

> In my opinion, any university employee who violates this policy should
> be disciplined. For example, a sys admin who expels a student from the
> general university computer system without recourse to a formal
> hearing should find him or herself subject to a formal disciplinary
> hearing.

        Pity that isn't the case.  The University holds that it's not
        obligated to give computing resources to anyone, & can therefore
        revoke account priveleges without resorting to higher authority.

> And, of course, any university computer policy that contradicts
> general university policy (i.e. almost every university computer
> policy I've ever read) is null and void.

        If that be the case, then why haven't more students challenged
        their Universities academic computing policy?  Simple.  Like
        trying to turn the flow of a tsunami, students will accomplish
        very little, & most likely be swept aside.  Some organizations
        are just too large to rein in, even if they are "guilty" of
        wrongdoing.

snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen Nicoud) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.060303.8519@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
>> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>>Flawed analogy; a city bus is a public accomodation within the scope
>>                   ^^^^
>>Perhaps I wasn't clear in my analogy.  I never claimed a "city" bus.
>Doesn't matter; I just said "city" to make the point clear.
                                                ^^^^^

Whose point?  Certainly not mine.  Since you were commenting on my
point claiming "Flawed analogy" it is not appropriate to change my
words or add new ones and claim they are part of my point.

No real flame here (yet), but if you want to make your own point,
fine; just please don't change or add to words I use and then claim
your new version of my point is flawed and then attribute that flaw to
my point.

Also, if it "Doesn't matter", then why is it (the use of "city")
necessary "to make the point clear"?  But, I would agree that it
really doesn't matter and is not important to the point I am making.
However, it did seem crucial to the point your were making since you
followed with paragraphs about "public accomodation".

>> The claim was made that "improper" behavior, as determined by the
>> owner/operator, was enough for the owner/operator to take action
>> ("kick those people off"). If the owner/operator decides that the
>> person's race is "improper", does s/he have the right to take that
>> action because of it?
>
>Nope.

Assuming this "Nope" is in answer to my question that immediately
precedes it, then it looks like we agree.

>       Like many considering the US law from a dewy eyed liberal
>viewpoint, you have an overwhelmingly overlarge concept of what
>constitute your "civil rights".

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Notice how this attempts to attach the stigma of
a "dewy eyed liberal viewpoint" to me without actually calling me
such.  I kinda like that.  It's a clever way of getting a zinger in.
I'd like to borrow that if I may.

It's also amusing because associates/family/friends laughed when I
told 'em that someone claimed I held a view that was "from a dewy eyed
liberal viewpoint".  They felt that was a term worthy of use by me in
my arguments against many liberal positions.

>                                 It is not the case that whatever you
>think you should have constitutes a civil right.
>
>Your civil rights exist by inclusion, not exclusion; if it isn't in
>the law, then it isn't protected.

I'm not going to comment on Kent's civil rights explanation.  Not
because I don't agree with it (I'm intentionally not saying whether I
agree or disagree), but because I don't feel it is germaine to the
point I am/was making.

>Nowhere does the law give you, implicitly or explicity, a civil right
>to have a Usenet account on Kevin Lowey's private and personal BBS
>system.

Is this what is bothering you about my post?  I never claimed that
"the law give[s] [me], implicitly or explicity, a civil right to have
a Usenet account on Kevin Lowey's private and personal BBS system."

Perhaps I can allay your fears by saying that I agree on that point.
In fact, I will state it explicitly just for you: "I do not believe I,
Stephen Nicoud, or anyone else has, implicitly or explicity, a civil
right to have a Usenet account on Kevin Lowey's private and personal
BBS system."

Do you think it is reasonably now to drop this point between us in
this discussion?

>Kevin has reserved to himself the right to toss off whomever he
>wants, without providing any explanation whatever, and you and others
>have tried to drag in sex and race and religion and a lot of other
>red herrings.  Kevin _doesn't_ _have_ _to _tell_ _you_ why he won't
>let you use his system, and there's exactly nothing you can do about
>it.

Red Herrings?  This whole paragraph is a red herring.  Please, reread
my words carefully.  It is your right to make your own conclusions
about what you read.  But I ask that you, at least once, read the
words.  I wrote what I meant and meant what I wrote.  If you read
between the lines you do so at your risk.  I, however, will not accept
your rewordings of what you believe my position is.

I have not claimed that Kevin didn't have "the right to toss off
whomever he wants, without providing any explanation whatever".

Please see Kevin's remarks that I've attached to the end of this note.
Perhaps they describe more succinctly to you than I did the point I
was trying to make.

>      Your suspicions that you were being discriminated against for
>race and not for the illegal chain letters you posted will avail you
>nothing; he doesn't _have_ to defend his reasons.

<sigh>

Here we go again.  I have not claimed that Kevin had "to defend his
reasons".

Your repeated attempts to assign claims to me that I have not made is
unworthy of reasoned debate.  Putting words in someone elses mouth (so
to speak, er read, er, uh, ... you know what I mean :-) isn't a very
effective way to persuade me in a debate.

Besides, it shouldn't be necessary to use my point to make your own
points.  Just make your points.  You don't need me.  If you want to use
my post to expand the discussion and debate, fine.  Go for it.  Just
please don't start attributing to my words and me your extensions.  I
have enough windmills of my own creation without having to slay ones
created by others for me.

I'm sorry that I've gone on and on about what I is probably a minor
nit.  I'm satisfied with just leaving it with Kevin's own words:

   From: lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey)
   Subject: Re: Canceling someone else's article
   Date: 1 Jun 91 16:34:46 GMT

   [...]

   Notice that I said the owner of the system has the right to set any
   rules he wants on that system AS LONG AS IT'S LEGAL.

   The situation of racial discrimination is in many places ILLEGAL,

   [...]

If you want to debate it further, I beseech you to address Kevin's
words.

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud  <snicoud@boeing.com>  uw-beaver!bcsaic!snicoud
Boeing Computer Services Research and Technology, Computer Science
Bellevue, Washington  USA
"I ask unananimous consent to revise and extend my remarks."

jb3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jon Allen Boone) (06/04/91)

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
> The UNIVERSITY bought the equipment.  The UNIVERSITY owns the equipment.  The
> UNIVERSITY gets to say how the equipment is to be used, who can use it, and
> what rules these users have to follow.

  A more refined model:

  The computer equipment is under the direct control of the systems
admins/programmers/operators.  The a/p/o's are under the direct
control of a supervisor ... who is under the direct control of the
vice-president for ... who is under the direct control of the
president of the University who is under the direct control of the
Board of Trustees.  So, directly (though through a chain of command)
the BoT for the University is in control of the system.  However, the
Federal/State/City Governments are in INDIRECT control, in as much as
they can change the level of funding which the University recieves
from them to pay for computer systems.

     Two important points:

     1) Indirect control is a lot less powerful (in some cases) than
direct control. (Stuart Reges' case aside).

     2) If you REALLY want to get some action out of the university,
it's less likely to succeed through some sort of OUTSIDE intervention.
It's much more likely to be effective if you take it to the school
newspaper and then through the university.

----------------------------------|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| "He divines remedies against injuries;   | "Words are drugs."           |
|  he knows how to turn serious accidents  |     -Antero Alli             |
|  to his own advantage; whatever does not |                              |
|  kill him makes him stronger."           | "Culture is for bacteria."   |
|                   - Friedrich Nietzsche  |     - Christopher Hyatt      |
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) (06/05/91)

In article <RqeZ34w164w@bluemoon.uucp> sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack) writes:
"dfpedro@uswnvg.UUCP (Donn Pedro) writes:
"
"
"        There are sites on the net that have never formulated a formal
"        posting policy.  Are their users free to do as they please?
"        And what of sites like ddmi/tygra/Michigan.com, where the admin
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What the HELL are you talking about. How many times do I have to say it:
ALL OF THE POSTS  YOU REFERENCE WERE POSTED BY A DISGRUNTLED EX-USER.
THEY WERE FORGERIES - REPEAT AFTER ME: THEY WERE FORGERIES . THEY WERE
FORGERIES. *GOT IT??*
--
CAT-TALK Conferencing System   |  "Buster Bunny is an abused | E-MAIL:
+1 313 343 0800 (USR HST)      |   child. Trust me - I'm a   | jp@Michigan.COM
+1 313 343 2925 (TELEBIT PEP)  |   professional..."          |
********EIGHT NODES*********** |   -- Roger Rabbit           |

tar@math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (06/05/91)

jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) shouts:

[ ... ]

>What the HELL are you talking about. How many times do I have to say it:
>ALL OF THE POSTS  YOU REFERENCE WERE POSTED BY A DISGRUNTLED EX-USER.
>THEY WERE FORGERIES - REPEAT AFTER ME: THEY WERE FORGERIES . THEY WERE
>FORGERIES. *GOT IT??*

Right.  And this is a forgery too.

There may someone on the net with less crediblity than you, John, but
I sure doubt it.

--
Tim Ramsey/system administrator/tar@math.ksu.edu/(913) 532-6750/2-7004 (FAX)
Department of Mathematics, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS  66506-2602
"Yes, you can take an axe to the 3084..."
	-- bav@ksuvm.ksu.edu, realizing the futility of CP/CMS

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/05/91)

According to jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer):
>ALL OF THE POSTS  YOU REFERENCE WERE POSTED BY A DISGRUNTLED EX-USER.
>THEY WERE FORGERIES - REPEAT AFTER ME: THEY WERE FORGERIES . THEY WERE
>FORGERIES. *GOT IT??*

Actually, they were posted by John's wife...  Morgan Fairchild.
Yeah, that's the ticket!

Listen, Dr. Roger John Rabbit Palmer Randall.  Some of us remember all
the way back to the time when you publically acknowledged that you
posted those cancel messages.  Of course, you claimed then that you
didn't intend them to leave your system.

The forgery story won't wash.  Give it up.
--

randy@m2xenix.psg.com (Randy Bush) (06/05/91)

> What the HELL are you talking about. How many times do I have to say it:
> ALL OF THE POSTS  YOU REFERENCE WERE POSTED BY A DISGRUNTLED EX-USER.
> THEY WERE FORGERIES - REPEAT AFTER ME: THEY WERE FORGERIES . THEY WERE
> FORGERIES. *GOT IT??*

Thanks, John.  Your off-the-wall humor made my day.  A flawless parody of
pathalogical lying and sociopathy gone wild.  Brilliant!

A damn shame that the spittle and foam could not come across in ASCII.

And we never have thanked you for actually providing folk out here on the
cyberfrontier one small thing to agree with The Mouth from Rant about.

Have a really *great* day, John.
--
randy@psg.com  ..!uunet!m2xenix!randy

dfpedro@uswnvg.UUCP (Donn Pedro) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.195815.18152@tygra.Michigan.COM>, jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:
: In article <RqeZ34w164w@bluemoon.uucp> sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack) writes:
: "dfpedro@uswnvg.UUCP (Donn Pedro) writes:

You include my name, yet you omit anything I said.  I'm being non quoted?
Your post tends to attribute Mr Bracks words as mine.  Take care
of attributions in the future.

Steven Brack actually writes:

: "
: "        There are sites on the net that have never formulated a formal
: "        posting policy.  Are their users free to do as they please?
: "        And what of sites like ddmi/tygra/Michigan.com, where the admin
:                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: What the HELL are you talking about. How many times do I have to say it:
: ALL OF THE POSTS  YOU REFERENCE WERE POSTED BY A DISGRUNTLED EX-USER.
: THEY WERE FORGERIES - REPEAT AFTER ME: THEY WERE FORGERIES . THEY WERE
: FORGERIES. *GOT IT??*

I heard it.  I don't got it.  It's just another story.  I think another lie.
I don't believe you.  Not one bit.

	Donn Pedro ...................{uunet, sequent, pn1}!uswnvg!dfpedro.

igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun1.174136.6258@rock.concert.net> mcmahan@cs.unca.edu (Scott McMahan) writes:
> Sure, if you own your *own* computer, you can do whatever you want
> with it.  Try denying access to a black person sometime!  You are
> _still_ subject to _some_ laws!  If you *did* deny access, and if
> the person decided to take it to court, you'd be in *hot water* .

Is US law really in the position where you can't choose how to use
private property?  Not company, or state, or federal, but private?  If
it isn't, do you think it should be?

ian

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

> According to jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer):

>> ALL OF THE POSTS YOU REFERENCE WERE POSTED BY A
>> DISGRUNTLED EX-USER. THEY WERE FORGERIES - REPEAT
>> AFTER ME: THEY WERE FORGERIES . THEY WERE
>> FORGERIES. *GOT IT??*

Hitler died by his own hand in a bunker when telling
the same lie over and over turned out not to be a way
to convince the world.  Is there a bunker in our
Johnny's future?

> Actually, they were posted by John's wife...
> Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that's the ticket!

You actually think someone would marry this loser?
Then again, Oleg has a fiancee; what do I know?

> Listen, Dr. Roger John Rabbit Palmer Randall. Some
> of us remember all the way back to the time when
> you publically acknowledged that you posted those
> cancel messages. Of course, you claimed then that
> you didn't intend them to leave your system.

Heck, some of us remember back before that, when he
threatened to cancel the articles all over the net,
and a bit later when he did, and a bit later when he
sent email gloating over having done so.  Then he got
flamed to a crisp, and your part comes in.

> The forgery story won't wash. Give it up.

Right, what he said. Go back to claiming it is all
that evil Kent Paul Dolan's doing; your odds of
getting that fable believed are better; you can
blame anything on a crazy person, even the acts of
net terrorism you did that are physically impossible
to accomplish from anywhere but your site using your
account.

Kent, the man from xanth.

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (06/08/91)

In article <48330@bcsaic.UUCP>, snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes...
>In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
>>If anyone has a RIGHT here, it is the right of the owner of a computer to
>>control how his computer is used.  Its exactly the same as the bus driver who
>>has the right to kick anyone off the bus if they are causing a problem.
>>Claiming that the USERS have rights to get electronic mail, no matter how
>>badly they act, is similar to saying that bus riders have the right to steal
>>the bus, and use it to rob a bank.  If someone is trying to use MY equipment
>>in a way *I* consider is improper, then *I* have every right to kick those
>>people off *MY* computer.

>And how about the bus driver/owner who makes black people sit in the
>back of the bus.  Clearly it is not *always* up to the owner's notion
>of what is "improper".  You cannot restrict the activities based upon
>sex, race, religion, creed, etc...

This was one of my early disagreements with the violation of rights
movement.  If it were a government subsidized bus, then fine, prohibit them
from discriminating.  If a person uses his own earnings to pay for
something, it should be his - to have and hold - i.e. to control without
interference from others (until and unless it is used to attack someone
else).

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (06/08/91)

In article <1991May31.161031.178@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, tar@math.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes...
>jp@tygra.Michigan.COM (John Palmer) writes:

>[ I assume this wasn't yet another forgery in your name, John?  It's so
>  hard to tell. ]

>>Thats a shame. Some people just don't know how to handle flamers. If
>>he got harassing e-mail, he should contact the sender's sysop and the
>>feed site of the system from which the posting came.

>>He should respond to his flamers and let them know that he has a RIGHT
>>to post anything he wants. How do we solve this problem: Post flames
>>in public newsgroups against the offender and also put him in your
>>system-wide kill file.

>Let me try to get this straight.  Everyone has the RIGHT to post anything
>they want, be it legal or illegal.  However, no one has the RIGHT to
>mail anything they want to a particular person.

>I don't get it.  Why does freedom of speech extend to posting but not email?

>You keep using this word "RIGHT".  I do not think it means what you think
>it means.

Correct.  It should be a consistent matter that people should be able to
say, transmit or publish whatever they please, so long as it is not an
attempt at fraud.

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (06/08/91)

In article <1991May31.133601.17606@lsuc.on.ca>, jim@lsuc.on.ca (Jim Mercer) writes...

>>Concerning whether USENET/EMAIL/NEWS/etc are a RIGHT or a PRIVILEGE:

>who are you paying?

>you are not paying USENET.

But don't you see.  That's just the problem.  There's no well-defined
ownership rights in netland.

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun1.022548.28381@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes...
>In article <48330@bcsaic.UUCP> snicoud@Boeing.com (Stephen L Nicoud) writes:
>In article <1991May29.222406.26060@herald.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:

>> And how about the bus driver/owner who makes black
>> people sit in the back of the bus. Clearly it is
>> not *always* up to the owner's notion of what is
>> "improper". You cannot restrict the activities
>> based upon sex, race, religion, creed, etc...

>Flawed analogy; a city bus is a public accomodation
>within the scope of the law, either operated or
>licensed to operate by government entities to whom
>the anti-discrimination statutes apply. These same
>statutes don't tell me that if I operate a church
>school bus I have to provide service to other than
>the, perhaps tuition paying, students.

>I have a complete right to operate a private BBS for
>the benefit and use, only, of the KKK, the John
>Birch Society, the Bnai Brith Anti-Defamation
>League, the Freemasons, alt.activism participants
>(gag!) or people whose last name starts with "D"
>like mine. That is _not_ a public accomodation, it
>is not operated or licensed as one by a government
>entity. and the anti-discrimination laws should not
>be expected to apply.

That's just what the private restaurant owners said in the 1960s.

>No more am I required (nor is USENet required) to
>_fund_ your _access_ to free speech on the BBS or the
>net, that corresponds to your right to be safe from
>_laws_ _abridging_ free speech in a medium either
>free or voluntarily funded by other participants and
>provided for you.

Right.  We should all be paying for what we use.

>This means if "we" don't like you enough to toss you
>off the net and pull the plug on your feed, you have
>no _legal_ recourse; your only recourse is to
>correct the behavior problems that elicited such a
>severe response enough to gull some sucker into
>providing you a feed again, at probable risk to his
>own feed, since the net is rather long on memory and
>short on forgiveness.

This nonsense goes on?!?

>Similarly for a cancelled account; you have to find
>a new site that will give you one, you have no
>inherent right, and should have no expectation, to
>get the old one back by means of any legal process.

>Compare it to the case of newspapers, which are in
>no way obliged to publish your obscene and abusive
>letter to the editor (though if you shop around, one
>may), although the law is pretty strict in allowing
>you to fund your _own_ newspaper in which you can
>rave, within the limits of the libel laws, to your
>heart's content.

Right.  So, how do I fund my own network?  B-)}

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun1.164136.4553@herald.usask.ca>, lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes...
>From article <qDuu34w164w@bluemoon.uucp>, by sbrack@bluemoon.uucp (Steven S. Brack):

>The UNIVERSITY bought the equipment.  The UNIVERSITY owns the equipment.  The
>UNIVERSITY gets to say how the equipment is to be used, who can use it, and
>what rules these users have to follow.

So, who's this UNIVERSITY fellow?  Do you suppose we could do lunch
together next week?

otto@fsu1.cc.fsu.edu (John Otto) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun1.172809.6198@rock.concert.net>, mcmahan@cs.unca.edu (Scott McMahan) writes...

>Wait a minute ...

>[sorry folks -- no LONG quotes of other's messages quoting other's
> messages ad infinitum -- maybe you'll all emulate me? :-) ]

>Driving is a privilege?  Posting articles is a privilege?  That's a
>very interesting point:  who decided it was a privilege?

The first I heard this allegation regarding driving was about 12 years ago.
 Can you imagine George Washington or Ben Franklin going down to the
government office to get a permit to drive a wagon on the street.  Now,
before you say "But cars and trucks are so much more dangerous." explain
the hundreds of thousands of horse-related injuries that took place in the
1890s.

cks@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) (06/08/91)

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) writes:
| Similarly, Usenet sometimes is carried over telephone lines, and
| sometimes is carried over lines paid for by NSF, or its equivalents
| in other countries.  Since they pay for the physical wires, they
| have the right to say how those wires are used.  If NSF says they
| don't want to pay for the transfer of X rated images
| (alt.sex.pictures), then it doesn't have to.  So even if Usenet
| policy says that is OK, Usenet might be forced to CHANGE its policy
| to fall in line with the carriers it uses, or risk losing permission
| to use those carriers.

 This is a commonly-held but somewhat incorrect view. Usenet does not
change its rules because some of its links are carried over the
NSFNet; instead, Usenet sites using NSFNet resources to transfer news
must be carefull to make sure they don't violate NSFNet rules when
doing so. Usenet does not bend its rules to adapt to the restricted
rules of some links, or to the restricted laws of some countries that
have Usenet sites in them; that's always the site's business. Of
course, if most of Usenet sites wind up in such a country, or using
links that are so restricted, the net effect may be more or less the
same and over time the "consesus rules" of Usenet change.

--
"Anyone forging articles should be writing news software instead,
 if you get the headers right you're ahead of some implementations.

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.215348.18519@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Hitler died by his own hand in a bunker when telling
>the same lie over and over turned out not to be a way
>to convince the world.  Is there a bunker in our
>Johnny's future?

To digress greatly:

Hitler used the Big Lie to come to power, and tried to use force to
take over the world (not necessarily to convince it of anything).  He
suffered a military defeat, but proved how very well the Big Lie does
work.  It was proven many times before, and many times since.

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

 mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>> Hitler died by his own hand in a bunker when
>> telling the same lie over and over turned out not
>> to be a way to convince the world. Is there a
>> bunker in our Johnny's future?

> To digress greatly:

> Hitler used the Big Lie to come to power, and
> tried to use force to take over the world (not
> necessarily to convince it of anything). He
> suffered a military defeat, but proved how very
> well the Big Lie does work. It was proven many
> times before, and many times since.

Well, our sociopathy poster child is still on the
net, which must count as a major victory for
mendacity after the powers that be at umich.edu met
to consider whether or not to pull the net feed of
ddmi.com, and failed to do so despite the scandal
and legal exposure providing him a feed was bringing
on that institution (and continues to bring, I
suppose). Of course, he's had to change his domain
name by registering as michigan.com, change his
user-ID from jpp to jp, very likely wheedle new
feeds from the more gullible sysadmins of the net,
weave a skein of lies even a two year old would roll
laughing on the floor to hear, make his partner
appear a fool and liar as well in public, but still
he keeps dancing on the highwire over the pungi
stick filled pit.

It is worth noting that the Big Lie of blaming the
Jews for the failures of Weimar Republic economics
wasn't the lie that brought Hitler to put a gun to
his head, it was the tawdry little lies, ending in
the lie that a failed painter knew more about the
conduct of war than experienced ganerals, and
including the lie of a peace treaty with Stalin so
quickly violated, and that surrender was
unthinkable, the Third Reich could prevail over
superior force after the freeing of Paris.

Similarly, it may not be John Palmer's big lie that
everything he's screwed up to date was someone
else's fault that brings him down in the end, but
just the little lie that he's learned from his
mistakes not to try to be a big shot on the net
without the skills or ethical understanding to
carry it off.

Kent, the man from xanth.

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (06/20/91)

In article <1374@zinn.MV.COM>, mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
> In article <1991Jun6.215348.18519@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>Hitler died by his own hand in a bunker when telling
>>the same lie over and over turned out not to be a way
>>to convince the world.  Is there a bunker in our
>>Johnny's future?
>
> To digress greatly:
>
> Hitler used the Big Lie to come to power, and tried to use force to
> take over the world (not necessarily to convince it of anything).  He
> suffered a military defeat, but proved how very well the Big Lie does
> work.  It was proven many times before, and many times since.

Looking at the subject line, did somebody try to kill Hitler's article?

dan

jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) (06/22/91)

In <1991Jun20.110540.4925@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:

>Looking at the subject line, did somebody try to kill Hitler's article?

	Don't you know your history?  Hitler's biggest threat to the world
was his wholesale cancelling of entire country's articles. These
"blitzkreigs" of cancel messages destroyed the net presence of Poland,
Czechoslovakia and France for years. This madness had to be stopped,
especially when some crony of Hitler's (some even say it was Hitler himself)
began posing as a giant rabbit and disturbing newsgroups with inappropriate
postings. Those who can't learn from hiostory are doomed to repeat it.

--
          John Henders        			jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca
       	  MIND over MIDI Productions	or ubc.cs!van-bc!jonh!jhenders

howie@ssc-vax.UUCP (Howard S Modell) (06/24/91)

In article <A0b7dhxa@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca>, jhenders@jonh.wimsey.bc.ca (John Henders) writes:
> In <1991Jun20.110540.4925@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com>, herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
> >
> >Looking at the subject line, did somebody try to kill Hitler's article?
> >
> 	Don't you know your history?  Hitler's biggest threat to the world
> was his wholesale cancelling of entire country's articles. These

And surely everyone remembers VE Day, "Virtual Environment" Day, newly
liberated Eastern Europe was finally replaced by a computer-simulation so
real that the Soviets were fooled into trying to annex it? (while all the time,
the former inhabitants basked in the sun on the Riviera.)

--
               >>>ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE MINE ALONE<<<
	  INTERNET: h.modell@ieee.org                 COMPMAIL: h.modell
	  UUCP: uw-beaver!bcsaic!ssc-bee!howie        COMPUSERVE: 72376,252