[comp.admin.policy] newbies unite!

rabbit@buster2.UUCP (Dr. Roger Rabbit) writes:

> You know what - I haven't heard from Mr. Dolan for
> a long time, but I did see some followups to his
> posts. Found out that the SYSOP here (Mr. Palmer)
> has put Dolan's entire site into the global
> kill-file on the main box here.

Looks like he got a sudden case of hives at having
his mendacity pointed out where the paying customers
can see it. I guess we have to add cowardice to his
sociopathy as another incurable character flaw. It
is hilarious that he has declared public victory
over that evil man from xanth, who, in his mind, is
the one cause of all his net troubles, while at the
same time being too frightened to even allow his
subscribers to read the words of the vanquished.
Interpolate a heartfelt evil chuckle here, if it
pleases you. I suppose there is some administrative
question here about the appropriateness of offering
your customers a "Usenet account", and then silently
disabling part of that account's feed to keep your
customers from learning about your underhanded
business practices. Somehow it seems entirely
typical of a John P. Palmer thought process. Perhaps
some kind soul will quote this posting in full just
to get it to the customers of DDMI.

> You know that that box serves about 950 machines.
> Looks like your excluded from a big part of the
> net, Kent. (I bet I am too, though :-> )

I've always been a popular kill file entry; too
many people in the world can't abide strong opinions
or clearly stated truths; I won't much miss the
dial-ups at DDMI, but wonder whether they need a few
folks like me just to keep management honest.

I, myself, don't use kill files as kill files, though
for a few low value, high noise groups, I do use them
to select what I read by keyword, and ignore the rest;
stands me in good stead.  I manage to survive reading
postings that disagree with me, and often learn from
them, sometimes nothing more than humility.  Too bad
Palmer is so intent on maintaining his errors that he
can't similarly abide criticism, but weak is as weak
does.

Kent, the man from xanth.

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (06/11/91)

I am quoting this article in its entirety with none of my additional
comments.  The reason will become apparent if you read this.

#
[...]
#<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

           Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

bernie@metapro.DIALix.oz.au (Bernd Felsche) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun10.221745.21108@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>
   xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>I've always been a popular kill file entry; too
>many people in the world can't abide strong opinions
>or clearly stated truths; I won't much miss the
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
More of the latter than the former. It's like a slap in the face with
a wet fish to many.

>dial-ups at DDMI, but wonder whether they need a few
>folks like me just to keep management honest.

>I, myself, don't use kill files as kill files, though
>for a few low value, high noise groups, I do use them
>to select what I read by keyword, and ignore the rest;
>stands me in good stead.  I manage to survive reading
>postings that disagree with me, and often learn from
>them, sometimes nothing more than humility.  Too bad
                                   ^^^^^^^^
Eh? You apparently under-value humility.

Rather an ounce of humility than an ounce of gold.
(Sorry, it doesn't quite sound right in metric :-))

--
Bernd Felsche,                 _--_|\   #include <std/disclaimer.h>
Metapro Systems,              / sold \  Fax:   +61 9 472 3337

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun10.221745.21108@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>rabbit@buster2.UUCP (Dr. Roger Rabbit) writes:
>
>> You know what - I haven't heard from Mr. Dolan for
>> a long time, but I did see some followups to his
>> posts. Found out that the SYSOP here (Mr. Palmer)
>> has put Dolan's entire site into the global
>> kill-file on the main box here.
>
>Looks like he got a sudden case of hives at having
>his mendacity pointed out where the paying customers
>can see it. I guess we have to add cowardice to his
>sociopathy as another incurable character flaw. It
>is hilarious that he has declared public victory
>over that evil man from xanth, who, in his mind, is
>the one cause of all his net troubles, while at the
>same time being too frightened to even allow his
>subscribers to read the words of the vanquished.
>Interpolate a heartfelt evil chuckle here, if it
>pleases you. I suppose there is some administrative
>question here about the appropriateness of offering
>your customers a "Usenet account", and then silently
>disabling part of that account's feed to keep your
>customers from learning about your underhanded
>business practices. Somehow it seems entirely
>typical of a John P. Palmer thought process. Perhaps
>some kind soul will quote this posting in full just
>to get it to the customers of DDMI.

Perhaps we should help Palmer out, and kill all DDMI postings
to our machines.  Then he could have his own little isolated
universe to rant and rave in.

>> You know that that box serves about 950 machines.
>> Looks like your excluded from a big part of the
>> net, Kent. (I bet I am too, though :-> )

How do you feed 950 machines with a 25MHz 386 box?

>I've always been a popular kill file entry; too
>many people in the world can't abide strong opinions
>or clearly stated truths; I won't much miss the
>dial-ups at DDMI, but wonder whether they need a few
>folks like me just to keep management honest.
>
>I, myself, don't use kill files as kill files, though
>for a few low value, high noise groups, I do use them
>to select what I read by keyword, and ignore the rest;
>stands me in good stead.  I manage to survive reading
>postings that disagree with me, and often learn from
>them, sometimes nothing more than humility.  Too bad
>Palmer is so intent on maintaining his errors that he
>can't similarly abide criticism, but weak is as weak
>does.

Yes, kill files are great noise limiters.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) (06/19/91)

In article <9106121347.44@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
= [ re: ddmi dropping all postings from zorch.sf.ca ]
=Perhaps we should help Palmer out, and kill all DDMI postings
=to our machines.  Then he could have his own little isolated
=universe to rant and rave in.

Who? At where?   :-)

= [ re: sites they're feeding ]
=How do you feed 950 machines with a 25MHz 386 box?

As well as they do anything else, apparently.

They've all been in my global KILL for a while.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary@sci34hub.sci.com

jrc@brainiac.mn.org (Jeffrey Comstock) (06/23/91)

In article <9106121347.44@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>In article <1991Jun10.221745.21108@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>rabbit@buster2.UUCP (Dr. Roger Rabbit) writes:
>>
>>> You know that that box serves about 950 machines.
>>> Looks like your excluded from a big part of the
>>> net, Kent. (I bet I am too, though :-> )
>
>How do you feed 950 machines with a 25MHz 386 box?
>
>Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

Feeding 950 machines would be tough for any machine, right ?
--
Jeffrey R. Comstock

craig@com50.c2s.mn.org (Craig Wilson) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun23.001051.18598@brainiac.mn.org> jrc@brainiac.mn.org (Jeffrey Comstock) writes:
>In article <9106121347.44@rmkhome.UUCP> rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:

>>How do you feed 950 machines with a 25MHz 386 box?
>>

>Feeding 950 machines would be tough for any machine, right ?

Depends on where you are in the food chain.

/craig