[isc.mail.xpert] Motif app window decorations under OLWM

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.145603.19225@alphalpha.com> nazgul@alphalpha.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>In article <9105031949.AA12967@trantor.Eng.Sun.COM> Stuart.Marks@eng.sun.COM (Stuart Marks) writes:
>>I believe this occurs because Motif dialog boxes set the WM_TRANSIENT_FOR
>>hint.  Olwm (from OpenWindows 2.0) gives transient windows very little
>>decoration.  There's no way to change this in that version of olwm.
>Well that's novel.  Are there any plans to handle mapping/unmapping
>and iconization using that resource too?

Actually, you can modify decorations a little: (Look in the OLIT programmers
guide around page 70) OLIT supports two properties, one called _OL_DECOR_ADD
and the other _OL_DECOR_DEL. The properties are lists of atoms wioth names
like _OL_RESIZEH _OL_TITLE, etc (I don't have the manual here). In any case,
the properties listed are added or deleted from the decorations. I could add
a title and resize corners to a dialog window this way. However, the title
is not centered in the screen, it is way off to the right, in fact, you
do not even see it unless you enlarge the window. Sun acknowledges this
and gives no date for fixing it.

Also, if you look in one of the OLIT include files (OlDecor.h ???) there
are headers for functions that look like they might be used to modify
decorations on windows, but they are not documented and I could get no
help from Sun on this one.

BTW: the decorations worked fine in the Beta2.0, just like they "should",
     with a title, resize corners and no menu. This functionality broke with
     the release of 2.0. The documentation I mentioned above (OLIT Programmers
     Guide, ~page 70) is wrong. COntact sun and they will tell you how it
     should be corrected. It still doesn't work quite the way they say it
     should, though.

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb