[net.rec.birds] The Great Net Cleanup Part II

jjhnsn@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (J. Lee Johnson) (08/13/85)

But later in the same article <813@gatech.CSNET> he quotes Brian Reid
(reid@glacier), who gives an excellent explanation of what's happening:

>> Type-1 groups (information exchange) will have many more readers than
>> writers. For example, there are a large number of readers of net.movies
>> at Stanford, but almost none of them ever posts anything. Nearly every
>> user on Glacier reads net.lang.mod2, but we rarely post anything.
>> Someone who was measuring newsgroup worth by looking at writer count
>> instead of reader count would get a very distorted view of the worth of
>> these things.

Consider net.rec.birds, a model newsgroup. It has a high signal/noise
ratio and almost no abuses or rudeness.  Net.rec.birds has an exact
purpose that would not be appropriately accomplished in another group.
There have been 35 articles in the last 2 weeks. This is just about
perfect as far as I am concerned; after all, I have other interests and
responsibilities.  Of the 35 articles, only 3 were cross posted to other
groups. Two of these were the net.news.group postings by spaf@gatech.
The other was a summary article on binoculars (very appropriate).

I wish net.unix, net.unix-wizards, and net.lang.c were more like this. I
believe they are becoming Type-3 groups (vanity press).

I applaud the efforts of people like Gene to keep USENET from collapsing
under its own weight, but in this particular case I believe the approach
was wrong.

P.S. Although I have read almost every article posted to net.rec.birds,
this article will be the first one I ever posted to it.
--
James Lee Johnson, U.T. Computation Center, Austin, Texas 78712
ARPA:  jjhnsn@ut-ngp